LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 11:20 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air suspension question

Got a suspension error this morning. vehicle will not lift to normal height and all suspension features are disabled. I pulled over and shut tuned the car off, then restarted. I heard a loud unpleasant noise coming from underneath the car. I've read through the threads here on suspension problems, but haven't come across this. Has my compressor died? Would that cause the noise?

Also, has anyone tried installing a lift kit on their LR3? I put larger tires on mine a few years ago, and have been thinking of a lift kit. BritishPacific sells one that is supposed to work with the air suspension system.

Thank you for any assistance.

Old 01-12-2017, 02:03 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

First, what did the noise sound like? What is your suspension doing currently if you try to raise the LR3? What size tires are you running?

There are two easy ways to lift an LR3: an IIDTool (or similar) which plugs into the OBD2 port (or is blue tooth) and can store saved height settings, or a modified set of rods that connect to the height sensors.

Old 01-12-2017, 02:29 PM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bravhefen

Also, has anyone tried installing a lift kit on their LR3? I put larger tires on mine a few years ago, and have been thinking of a lift kit. BritishPacific sells one that is supposed to work with the air suspension system.

Thank you for any assistance.
Actually Rob it replaces the EAS system and adds 2" of left.

I'll only recommend going this route if you're not towing anything, or friends with houm_wa....

Old 01-13-2017, 10:37 AM
Camel Trophy

Hahahahaha....good way to start the day!

I can see it making sense for a lot of people, really. I just think off-road it takes away the flex is all.

Old 01-13-2017, 01:48 PM
Overlanding
Default Suspension problem update

So, i'm not sure what size the tires are, I had them mounted about 3 years ago, and I love the larger tires, but occasionally get a fender rub, and with the larger tires, I'd like to get more lift on the vehicle.
The noise sounds to me like the compressor has failed. Usually when the vehicle starts up, you can hear the compressor running and the vehicle begins to lift and the compressor continues until it is lifted and balanced. Yesterday, the noise was much louder and more of a grind and when it did finally lift into normal height mode, the amber suspension error came on and I got a fault message. I did get to and from work in this mode.

Today, however, the loud compressor noise was the same as yesterday, as I began to drive, the noise started back up followed by an amber suspension light and the vehicle lowered all the way. I was lucky to only be a few blocks from my house, so I turned around and limped home very slowly.

Does it sound like my compressor has given out? Is it worth trying to change the relay first? If you recommend replacing the compressor, I found a Hitachi compressor for LR3 on line for about $350. The OEM part is more than double that.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Bravhefen; 01-13-2017 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:21 PM
Camel Trophy

okay.....

1. With the amber fault I'd say yeah it's the compressor but you gotta get the codes read. The OE part is updated. It's an AMK compressor and it's supposed to be better than the Hitachi.

2. If your tires rub that much, you may have worn through the EAS wiring harness in the driver's side wheel well. Go check that out.

3. You can get the lift you want with either an IIDTool (or equivalent) or a rod modification.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:59 AM
2nd Gear

Would it be okay to replace the old compressor with the Hitachi which is less expensive? Not like I need it for 10 more years. Thoughts?

Old 02-27-2017, 02:28 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Yes, you can also replace with an even cheaper Dunlop. Some have been said to be bad out of the box, but I believe they have a 1 year warranty.