LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS Update and Radio Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 07:21 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS Update and Radio Questions

Hello all,

I'm joining on behalf of my dad, who, as you could put, isn't exactly tech savvy, lol. He recently purchased a 2005 LR3 V8 HSE from a good friend, and it's become his favorite new toy. I have a few questions, though, as we haven't had any problems, and just recently took it in to the dealer for it's first oil change (under us as owners) and check-up. Now, here are my questions:

1) The GPS isn't registering some areas, and when we recently took it on a road trip to see family in Atlanta, it didn't recognize/register their address. We called Land Rover, and they told us that there is a CD that wil update the GPS. When we went in, though, the parts guy (who didn't seem too on top of things, so to speak) said it can be found online. Any idea where to get it?

and

2) While on the way home from getting some last minute food items for Christmas tomorrow, the radio (FM/AM, namely FM, when we tried to listen to the football games on Sirius) didn't work. The volume was up, the display was working fine, even the satellite radio was picking up fine, but, for some reason, it wouldn't play sound. We came home, let it sit for awhile, then, on our way out again, it worked fine. Odd. If anyone knows why this may have happened, or has experienced it as well, any suggestions would be appriciated.

One more question, too, even though it isn't too important: any idea where to get some Land Rover accessories, without paying the crazy prices from the dealer? He mainly wants a roof rack (we've already got the tracks on it, just need the cross bars) and maybe some all-weather mats for the passenger area and the back.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Kyle

Old 12-26-2006, 02:53 PM
4wd Low
Default RE: GPS Update and Radio Questions

Nav updatesfor the LR3 will soon be available online. The US/Canada site goes live on Jan 3rd.

www.navigation.com/landrover

As for the "no sound" issue on the radio. I used to encounter that once in awhile. I would just turn off the radio and turn it back on to get the sound back. The problem disaapeared after a software update. As it's a 2005 model, you may want to see if it had the "vehicle enhancement" software update/recall performed. This incorporated technical service bulletins B034 &B036. Look over the service records or have them check next time you're at the dealer....

Old 12-28-2006, 12:24 PM
4th Gear

So we have to take it into our own hands to get the upgrade? I figured that it was Land Rover's mistake, possibly by not installing a complete system. Any chance the dealer could be convinced to fix it? I mean, it's not even picking up major cities, like Atlanta (went to visit family for Thanksgiving) or even where we are now, on the outskirts of Pensacola.

Old 12-30-2006, 08:44 AM
2nd Gear

Are you sure you have selected the correct region of the country? It will not find addresses outside of the area of the country selected.

Old 12-30-2006, 12:32 PM
4th Gear

We are. I checked it for him yesterday, and it was definently in the correct region.

Old 12-31-2006, 03:56 AM
4wd Low

Hmm. Something doesn'tsound right there. Assuming you're doing everything correctly, then there's definitely a problem with the NAV system or your disk. Now I could understand if the destination in Atlanta was on a newer street or subdivision.....

Old 12-31-2006, 12:17 PM
4th Gear

To be honest, I'm not sure how old their subdivision is, but I could probably find out. What would the timeframe be to determine whether if it simply hasn't been updated (recently built), or, if something is indeed wrong with the NAV? And, if that is indeed the case (faulty NAV), how can that be proven to the dealer? I've come to discover over time that fighting them to prove something is wrong can be quite difficult, and even though the dealership we went to (out in Mobile) seemed quite nice, they might not be so when it comes to a major repair like that (especially since it would be under warranty). Not to mention that, if it doesn't act up, they'll claim that nothing is wrong with it (been there, done that). But, this should be easy to prove, since you can simply punch in an address, and it doesn't show up. Am I right?