LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just picked up a 06 LR3 - Extended warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 09:16 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Just picked up a 06 LR3 - Extended warranty?

Hey guys I've spent tons of hours researching this forum, but just created an account since I finally picked up my new 06 LR3 SE!

Just picked up a 06 LR3 - Extended warranty?-img_1046.jpg

I bought it w/ 83k miles but now has 84k (just got back from a 850 mile road trip for a buddy's wedding this past weekend).

Before purchasing the truck, I had 2 different LR mechanics look at it to run full diagnostics. Both mechanics said she's in incredible shape for a 2006, but will need new tires and front/rear brake pads soon. I believe the previous owners already made the major repairs (front/rear diffs, suspension air pump, lower control arms, etc).

Even though everything functions perfectly at the moment, I went for a comprehensive extended warranty protection plan:
-2 yr / 24k miles
-Zero deductible
-24 hr roadside assistance
-rental car & travel/lodging reimbursement
-can repair at any licensed LR repair shop

Wasn't cheap though... $3,900 total.

Do you guys think this is a wise investment? Or do you think I should go with a different EW? My current EW is completely refundable for about another month and a half.

Thank you for your responses in advance!

Last edited by RedRocks; 09-02-2015 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:17 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 129 Likes on 118 Posts

Congrats! I have the same year and trim!

Who did you get the warranty through? How long is it good for?

I wish I'd had the option of getting one when I picked up my truck.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:05 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

There are warranties that do not specify LR specific shops. My warranty just says must have printed copy from a Certified Shop, or since I am Certified just proof of parts and maintenance.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:07 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

First off congrats on your new LR. Sounds like you did your homework and got a nice one.

With respect to the warranty: The truck realistically is open market valued at $10-15K depending on where in the country you are and its condition etc... lots of variables there. Either way, @$4K for the warranty you are looking at over 20% of the truck's value in just warranty. That's alot IMO.

The other issue always is (as prior poster mentioned) who is the holder of the paper? I can't imagine its a manufacturer so it's likely some kind of insurance company. I hope you did your same homework on them as well as you did on the LR - if they honor the warranty for any work you need and have a history of doing so, then I'm sure you'll sleep better at night.

My personal take on non mfg warranties is they can be a real gamble and I tend to stay away from them, but this is a highly personal decision. Just make sure whoever wrote your policy has a history of standing behind it. Otherwise, get out of it and save the money for a future repair that hopefully will never come (but it is a rover and they do have weak points).

Old 09-03-2015, 09:29 AM
4wd Low

Awesome! I got the warranty through USAA at the time of purchase, and it looks like they use Assurant Solutions for their Extended Vehicle Protection.

Does anyone else have a EVP through Assurant Solutions and can attest to their reputation?

This particular EVP is for 2 years or 24k miles, whichever comes first.

Thanks!

Old 09-03-2015, 11:58 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 129 Likes on 118 Posts

2 years/24k miles?!?!

get a refund ASAP. If previous owner did all the stuff you mentioned, unless you plan on fording regularly with your truck or literally live in terrain like mordor, I doubt you'll get your moneys worth.

Had my truck now for about a year and even buying tons of tools and parts, not to mention the labor costs paid to Land Rover for the bits I have them do when I'm too busy to get the work done myself... I have not even come CLOSE to spending 4 grand on it. And I'll have put 15k miles on my 3 in one year of ownership very soon.

They're actually reliable so I'd just keep the money set aside for fixes that you manage/pay for yourself (as mentioned above). Your money will go a lot further that way.

EDIT: the zero deductible is nice but I can't imagine it outweighs the cost. (side note)

Last edited by DavC; 09-03-2015 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:44 PM
4wd Low

Thanks everyone for the advice. The warranty comes to about 28% of what I paid for the truck and I don't live in mordor, so I'm going to get my money back

I'll keep it to the side for the (hopefully minor) fixes in the future.

After the new tires and brake pads, I'm thinking a roof rack & spare tire carrier for the back bumper are in order next.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:02 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Just picked up a 06 LR3 - Extended warranty?

I'd suggest reading the small print on the warranty very carefully. Is it an exclusionary policy (covers everything except xx xx) or does it list what it does cover? I've found that quite a lot ends up not covered eg anything considered wear and tear, general maintenance items, typically anything considered cosmetic (eg trim, visual degradation etc).
For example, on my LR4 the LR extended factory warranty it doesn't cover the replacement of two bushings on the front control arms - a $1500 repair job - as it excludes bushings. Even a small exclusion like that can make a massive difference to value

So - I'd personally set aside the money to pay for repairs, and find a good Indy Land Rover mechanic with reasonable labour rates

Good luck - the new truck looks terrific!

Old 09-09-2015, 10:53 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I purchased my 06 LR3 about two years ago with 85K on it. I currently have 115K and other than oil changes (engine and axles) and a few filters - I have not spend anything else. It will need brakes and tires within the next few months, but that's not anything a warranty will cover. I suggest do whatever will make you sleep peacefully at night, but I think the money would serve you better in the bank Vs with the warranty company

Old 11-04-2015, 09:51 AM
4wd Low

Thanks everyone for the advice- I ended up cancelling the warranty and getting my $ back (Their exclusions list was lengthy to say the least). Company obviously wasn't happy about it, but they didn't give me any real hassle.. just a cancellation form to fill out and email back to them.

Now on to replacing these brake pads & rotors!