Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 04:26 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended extended warranty

I have an 02 disco with 71k miles on it. I bought it from the dealership with 48k and it came with the extended warranty (up to 75k or 2 yrs). I have the option to extend the warranty for 1-2 yrs. Extending it 1 year would cost $2600 and 2 year would cost $3000. This seems like a lot to me but I know some repairs can be very expensive. Does it make sense to extend the extended warranty? Right now, my truck is running great and I have kept up with maintanences.Are there any common (and expensive) problems that may occur between 75K and 100K that would make the warranty worth while?

Old 03-19-2008, 04:42 PM
Drifting
Default RE: Extended extended warranty

I bought a 2004 Disco with 35k miles on it, still under the orig factory warranty (ending July 2008), and it included the extended (up to 75k warranty, ending July 2010). I bought the super extended (up to 100k or July 2012) warranty which cost $2600.00 from the dealership. I listed the dates because I will probably hit the dates before I hit the miles. It sounds like they are trying to bump up the price on you. I would tell them to F off until they come correct. :-)

Regarding whether its worth it, I am sure plenty of people here on these forums have had issues, however minor or major, and wished they were covered under a fact warranty. I had heard that Land Rover's had issues (head gaskets etc) so I made sure I was fully covered. I am not a gearhead, and plan to take this thing into the dealership at the first sign of trouble. I imagine everyone will agree.

Thats just my .02

ORIGINAL: markroll

I have an 02 disco with 71k miles on it. I bought it from the dealership with 48k and it came with the extended warranty (up to 75k or 2 yrs). I have the option to extend the warranty for 1-2 yrs. Extending it 1 year would cost $2600 and 2 year would cost $3000. This seems like a lot to me but I know some repairs can be very expensive. Does it make sense to extend the extended warranty? Right now, my truck is running great and I have kept up with maintanences. Are there any common (and expensive) problems that may occur between 75K and 100K that would make the warranty worth while?

Old 03-19-2008, 05:19 PM
Rock Crawling

x 2 on that, the extended warranty is worth it's weight in gold...especially around your mileage. There are a few expensive repairs that are ticking time bombs, one you mentioned being head gaskets. I agree that your price is a bit high, I extended my warranty w/ the land rover "assured" plan once factory warranty was about to expire which covers pretty much everything including rental car costs. It cost me $2700 for 3 year/30,000 miles.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 03-19-2008, 05:25 PM
Three Wheeling

Yup get the warranty my man here are just some of the basic issues that go wrong with the 4.6- headgaskets, dropped engine sleeves- leaks (oil pan, rocker covers, water pump, and the major t-box) and the abs modulator pumpwich you dont want to buy if your going to pay cash its very expensive. and window regulators.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:17 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Dont waste your money. Read the fine print, 90% of these warrenties have a maximum dollar amount that they will cover and you MUST follow their guidelines to a "T".
Read the fine print and then read it again. If your like me and have ADD you will need to read it and then have your wife read it too.
These trks only drop cylinder liners if you overheat the engine. Window regulators are not very expensive, ABS modulator will last a long time if you change your brake fluid every 2 years like the owners manual says.
The warrenty most likely will NOT cover getting leaks fixed but will require YOU to have them fixed or void your warrenty.
Waterpumps are a "wear item" and probally isint covered.
You can put $3000 into a money marketaccount and if you need it is is there, if you dont need it then you are further ahead.
Bottom line...READ THE FINE PRINT!!

Old 03-19-2008, 10:04 PM
Three Wheeling

Wow then you must have gone to a ****ty dealership because modulators go bad alot code 4114 abs modulator shuttle valve switch electrical failure now there is an updated kit to fix it but its a 50/50 shot and the kit is about 2 grand new switches and solenoid packs and the reason it goes out is for people doing what you just said replacing the brake fluid the wrong way and not bleeding out the modulater properly. now as far as liners go i've done motors that have not been over heated and just log a misfire code and come to see the piston is nice and clean. leaks are covered and water pumps depends on how you complaint about it it will get covered the only things that done get covered are belts, and trim items.