LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark plug disaster

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 03:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Spark plug disaster

Okay, not disaster. Disaster would imply stripping the threads in the head. Nevertheless, why does the simple stuff always become infinitely more complicated than it should be?

I went out to change my spark plugs today and while some of them require some funny positions and a bunch of different sized extensions and adapters, I really didn't have any problems until I got to the very last one (furthest back on the driver's side bank). When I put the spark plug socket in the cylinder hole, I thought I had done something wrong because it wouldn't "grab" the spark plug and it didn't seem like it was sitting quite low enough.

After much dicking around and using a mirror to peer into the hole, I discovered what looked like a ring around the perimeter of the cylinder hole that was blocking my socket. There also appeared to be a smaller ring around the spark plug itself further down. Thought the smaller one might be that little cardboard protector tube that comes on spark plugs to protect them, but nothing made sense because how would you torque the plug down in the first place if something was blocking it?

Then it hit me... the rubber boot on the end of the coil pack had broken off and stuck on the spark plug. @*&(~!#&$& I tried everything I can think of, but I can't get that thing out. In fact, I almost got another socket stuck in the hole because it fit inside the boot, but then wouldn't come back up...

Anybody have any suggestions on how to remove/fish out the boot? It seems to be stuck pretty good. I can't seem to get anything like needle nose pliers (even bent ones) down in there due to the position. Was thinking of just putting some epoxy around the old coil and putting it back into position to see if it will epoxy itself to the boot, then try to pull it all back out. Just scared I'll screw something up...

Old 02-17-2015, 03:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Eh, thinking about it a little further, I don't think I want to chance the epoxy route. I'm sure I'll hit the walls with the tip of the coil pack on the way in, and the last thing I want is epoxy on the inner cylinder wall, blocking me from getting the plug out.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts
Old 02-17-2015, 04:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Hmmm... I've got a set of 45 degree ones just like the pair on the right, but it won't work... not enough space. However, I wonder if the set on the left would provide just enough of an angle for me to work it down there. Might have to make a trip to Harbor Freight tonight. Lucky me, they opened a store 10-15 mins from my house.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:59 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I've had that happen before.

Get a long hook style pick, and a new coil on the way.

There's not enough room for anything else, and it's most likely too stuck on the plug for it to just pull up with tension. You'll end up having to pierce it with the pick to get it up.

This will be fine for a little while to put back on a coil(I would put it on one that's easier to access) but over time it can allow both moisture in, and electricity out, so I would suggest replacement, which is only available with a new coil. Again, should be fine to put back together and run(maybe even a piece of electrical tape to keep it on when you pull it back out) but I'd toss a new coil on before too long.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Thank you guys for all the suggestions! Crisis averted. I picked up a set of these picks at Harbor Freight and managed to fish the boot out. Per Dave's suggestion, I swapped a good coil pack to the back and moved the bad coil pack into a more accessible cylinder. Will order a new coil pack tomorrow!

Harbor Freight Pick Set