Greeting everyone! Hopefully this isn't a repeat from any earlier threads, but I thought I'd share my latest wrench-turning story with you...
I have a 2007 LR3 with about 90k miles. A constant grinding noise started coming from the front driver's side wheel. Since it did not change with the application of the brakes, I was thinking it might be the CV axle. When I raised the vehicle, I noticed there was a lot of play in the wheel, so I went to my favorite car parts web sites and started shopping. I ordered a wheel hub on Monday and received it today, making for a nice little afternoon project.
The reason for the post is just to provide a couple of quick tips if anyone else takes on this project...
The brake pad sensor is extremely fragile! Be careful when you remove it and don't pry on it with anything!!! Disconnect the bolt that holds the sensor cable and brake line before unbolting the caliper. Also, don't forget to have a coat hanger wire ready to hang the caliper once it is unbolted.
The rotor did not want to come off the hub... Even after applying WD40, it didn't want to budge. An 8" gear puller did the trick just fine. I used the same gear puller to push on the axle to separate it from the hub once I removed the axle nut.
The axle nut requires a 32mm socket. Sears had one for about $10. The main reason for disclosing this is because it was a bit of an educated guess on the size. I did a little searching on the net prior to buying the socket, but I was unable to find anything giving the exact size of the axle nut for my LR3.
The specs for the LR3 state that the axle nut needs to be torqued to 248 lb-ft. My torque wrench does not go that high. I maxed it out then used a breaker bar with a pipe to give it just a bit more twist.
All that being said, the road test went great! The noise is gone and I gained a little experience along the way. If you have to take on the same project, I hope my tips help!