General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 RR:steering wheel adjustment and some leaks found on a test drive.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 07:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile 2002 RR:steering wheel adjustment and some leaks found on a test drive.

Just test drove an '02 yesterday and found that to adjust the steering wheel was a lever to the left of the steering column. I pulled it out and tried moving the steering wheel and nothing. I could not down load the manual to find out so I'm turning to the owners. Does the engine have to be off or something? How do you adjust the steering wheel? Its not electrical is it?

This RR was a beauty. Well maintained but still had some leaks. A little leaking from the valve cover gasket near the firewall and it had another leak underneath but I could not tell exactly where. The mechanic will check all on Tuesday. Mileage 77,000. purred at idle and excelleration. trans shifted like new! I have to calm down or I will over bid.

Any advice or comments are most appreciated!
RROJ

Old 05-14-2010, 08:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you have to pull it out, then toward you. I know its stupid... lol. What are they asking for it? Tightening the bolts on the valve cover usually solves the problem, but sometimes you will need to replace the gaskets. My gaskets are beat to hell but got the bolts tight enough and now no leaks.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:18 PM
Rock Crawling

LRScott,
$11,999 is the asking price "AS IS" this person is a wholesaler and maybe sells 5 cars to the public. Stated he would drop it to $11,000. Also,I found in my inspection is the front rubber bags for the leveling system have small spiderweblike cracks. The rear bags look new! Only rust found was on the kick plates (the bottom of the door frame)where it says in Range Rover on a silver thin plates. I wonder if was a flooded vehicle. Carfax looked good. Only one owner. One accident driverside. I could not see any damage at all and boy did I look. Also it looked undeneath did not see any off road dirt mud anything. I did notice that someone had painted the wheels black not sure I have ever seen that done. But she ran like a top and shffted perfectly. She is black on black. I tested all the buttons and all worked. AC was ice cold!
Thanks for clarifing the wheel adjustment. These trucks have many character traits that take some getting use to.
Thanks always for your comments LRScott.
RROJ (I may be joining the RR member circle as soon as this week!)

Old 05-15-2010, 07:34 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my opinion, that price is way high. Also, one other thing I have learned over the years is to walk away from any vehicle with rust. It seems to always be a losing battle. For that price, the vehicle should be near perfect with a detailed service history. I would keep looking. There are tons of Range Rovers for sale. Hope that helps you out.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:58 PM
Rock Crawling

Thank you Wilson96rr! Any thought on how much I should ask? What a beauty! So far each truck I have looked at has had leaking gaskets. The range has been 77k-90k as far as the trucks I concider. I know they are all due for service at this point and many if uncared for will need more care than others. I really hope he takes a lower offer so I could use the $ to pay for the upcoming repairs. Thanks for your opinion.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:32 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well what he is asking is about what I paid for my 02 and it only had 50,000 miles. I did not have a service history with it, but it appeared well cared for and has not let me down yet.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I sold My 02 HSE for 10K last year. I also had the rust on the sill plates the car was from Florida maybe the salt water turned it? Look under the seats and in the spare tire well for water damage due to flooding.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:57 AM
Rock Crawling

Men,
I bought it!!! I checked and rechecked and had two unbiased mechanics check and they said it looked "Ok" and that it had been well maintained. They saw the leak or really dampness and were not worried in the least. They said it could be driven like that for 10k until it would need service. He did say that to do the different seals he would charge me 1600 for two of the major seals. I know it is hours worth of labor to take everything apart and then reassemble it all again, but it should last another 70k-100k once it is all put back together.

P.S. I checked the spare tire area and it was dry as a bone. No rust sighting a all. What a relief! Looks like nothing was ever put in the cargo area or anyone ever sat in any seat except the drivers seat which has just a few light wrinkles in the leather. What a find!