General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

alarm (starting) issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 12:40 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alarm (starting) issues

Hi folks,

I'm new to this site and new to range rovers as well... Just bought a used 2000 Range HSE 4.6 it ran well all winter. I left it parked recently for about a month. When I try to start it now, nothing, the battery is drained. I replaced the battery after a test showed it was bad. Now whenever I connect the battery the alarm arms itself and the key doesn't seem to work to disarm the vehicle anymore (battery in the key works fine)... any ideas ??

Thanks

Old 04-03-2010, 01:42 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where are you located? This is important because certain "country" models have different imobilizer/alarm setups. You might want to refer to this article for it: http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdet...ecm/alarm.html . It is very extensive, but I am sure what you are experiencing is somewhere in there. The immobilization problem was most likely caused by the key not being in the ignition when you reconnected the new battery. Also, leaving a P38 for a month on its own, almost guarantees your battery to be flat when you try to start it. I always keep a battery tender on mine if it sits for more than a week, or just disconnect the battery if I am going to leave it in a parking lot for over a week. I know the battery drainage is ridiculous, but its just part of it. Their RF receiver likes to pick up on other frequencies which keeps the BECM up draining your battery. I ended up disconnecting my RF antenna, my remote still works, but the battery wasn't draining after 3 days of sitting...

Old 04-06-2010, 05:47 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

You should be able to 're-calibrate' the key - you may need to google for the procedure (stick it in the lock and press the button or something). Also. there is a special code that you can enter by turning the key right and left in the drivers door to get the thing going.

I had this problem a while ago and, like Scott, have disconnected my RF. It just means that you have to hold the key next to the rear window to lock and unlock the car.

I'm going to fit a switch in the rear shelf so that, if I lay up for a while, I can switch of the receiver.

I have an 'in car' phone which, if I leave the cellphone bit in the glove box, keeps the BECM awake. In any case, other peoples car alarms, garage doors and cordless anythings will flatten the battery.

CJ