Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Discovery II starting/alarm problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 06:55 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Discovery II starting/alarm problems

I have had a persisting problem with my truck where it won't start. It will click, sometimes it won't do anything then later it will start. The last time, the tow truck driver said "let me try something" and locked and unlocked it and it started right up.

In essence, I'm having problems discerning if I have a problem with a flat spot on the starter, a weak battery or the alarm disabling the vehicle.

I tried to charge it tonight with no luck. It just clicks like a weak battery. My volt meter just broke so I can't check the battery. I'll replace it tomorrow since I've had to charge it a few times.

How does one tell the difference between the battery being weak and the alarm system locking me out?

Old 02-26-2010, 07:01 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Replace your battery, the alarm does not like not having a full battery.

Old 02-27-2010, 02:39 AM
2nd Gear

Hi, this may not be related but I have just completed a 4,000 mile 7 week trip and arrived at the ferry port in Spain and parked my car in the boarding lane...turned off the engine...got out and tried to lock the car. It would not lock! Strange...tried to start the car...nothing! Became frantic and tried starting, locking, shifting...all nothing! An ex AA mechanic walked over to me and said that this was a common problem with Discoveries - he had seen it a lot...the immoboliser was being affected by strong radio signals from the ship / port. He had seen this a lot with cars parked close to police stations. He tried re-setting my alarm using the key in the door but no good. We pushed the car 30 meters turned the key and she started first time. Since then no issues...

Old 02-27-2010, 06:59 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by don1
Hi, this may not be related but I have just completed a 4,000 mile 7 week trip and arrived at the ferry port in Spain and parked my car in the boarding lane...turned off the engine...got out and tried to lock the car. It would not lock! Strange...tried to start the car...nothing! Became frantic and tried starting, locking, shifting...all nothing! An ex AA mechanic walked over to me and said that this was a common problem with Discoveries - he had seen it a lot...the immoboliser was being affected by strong radio signals from the ship / port. He had seen this a lot with cars parked close to police stations. He tried re-setting my alarm using the key in the door but no good. We pushed the car 30 meters turned the key and she started first time. Since then no issues...
WOW!! That is good to know, who ever would have thought that RFI would do that?

Old 02-28-2010, 10:16 AM
4wd Low

New battery fixed my problem. I don't know how old the other one was so I figured it couldn't hurt. Thanks everyone.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:35 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

side note in regards to RFI, there was a report about the sun being closer to the earth this year or something that was causing stronger sun spots (I really have no idea what I am talking about there) but anyways these stronger "things" are causing more interference in all transmissions, all RF remotes signals are weaker (including garage door and car alarm remotes, radio station transmissions are weaker, I think cell phone signals are weakened but not 100% sure on that one) but anyways may be something to think about.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:43 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Go have your battery/alternator checked, should be between 13.6 and 14.4 volts.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:27 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Rover Chris
side note in regards to RFI, there was a report about the sun being closer to the earth this year or something that was causing stronger sun spots (I really have no idea what I am talking about there) but anyways these stronger "things" are causing more interference in all transmissions, all RF remotes signals are weaker (including garage door and car alarm remotes, radio station transmissions are weaker, I think cell phone signals are weakened but not 100% sure on that one) but anyways may be something to think about.

Maybe this is Toyota's problem huh?
Thats why they cant figure it out and next year this we be a thing of the past. LOL

Old 02-28-2010, 01:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ha thats funny, I actually did a little more research as I have no idea what I was talking about and apparently the sun goes through these 11 year cycles where it produces more sun spots having an effect on the earths magnetic field, we are in the peak right now(I think that is what I got from my research, but still don't know what I am talking about!) this effect causes major changes in radio wavelengths I don't know how but I do know if I was Toyota I would definitely blame it on this until I got the real problem fixed!