Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting problem and alarm?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 04:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starting problem and alarm?

So I haven't driven in a few days, I've been on vacation and everyone else has been drivin cause of the holidays so the disco had a 2 week vacation with only maybe a half dozen runs out to the store or whatever.

I go to start this morning to go to work, and shes dead when you turn the key. I figured maybe the battery was just weak from sitting and maybe i left somethin on (have a cb and ham radio both directly connected to battery), and jump it from my neighbors car, starts right up. niether radio was on when it was started, so i cant be sure if i left them on or not, but im guessing no now since neighter turned back on after. anywho, i think nothin of it, and drive to work... figuring at best i might need a jump at work to get home, no real worries as there are plenty of jump boxes and cars to jump from there if needs be, i have a fancyish 12v charger at home so ill just plug it on there tonight.

welll.... when i went to start it at work, i was greated with the normal bright dash lights, bells, whistles radio etc, but when i turn the key, all power cut, then a second later the directions start blinking, the horn starts blaring away like im stealin it, and the red alarm light on the dash starts blinkin away. i pull the key out, and its still beaping, so i use the car unlock button. horns stop, lights go out, but the red light kept going off. so i locked the car, then unlocked again, and the light went off... opened it up and went to start it again, same sequence started.

hmmm... doesnt sound like a superlock issue, and i habitually NEVER double press the lock button haha.

so i throw on a jump pack, and she starts right up with no horn, blinkin lights etc. i turn on my radio which has a built in volt meter and its readin 14.5 i think, right where it usually is when it first starts so i think the alternator should be good.

got home, and checked battery only engine off, 12.0v... little low...

batteries a year and a half old duralast gold which are pretty good batteries as far as ive ever seen, lots of amps and lots of reserve time...

its on the carger now and its slowly going up, started at 12.1v which it guestimates is about 53% charged, its now around 65 so it is going up.

now ive seen young dead batteries before, but never in a disco... ill have it tested tomorrow after work to see if it picks up dead cells or whatever, but the whole alarm horn blaring thing has me thinking maybe the battery isnt the issue? or is that a discos way of saying im out of juice!

Old 01-02-2013, 05:19 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a low battery to me bud.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:41 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

It take 2 0r 3 ours to recharge a dead battery, not a drive to work.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was hoping low not dead haha... its been on charger 2 hours now and still goin... just wasnt sure if there was an alarm issue causing a drain or short or was killed by a jump causing it to act wierd.. ive never owned a car that let you know the battery was low by any other means then diming out or a battery light lol