General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need some help guys (for my mom)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 06:01 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default need some help guys (for my mom)

my mom and dad just got a 06' RR HSE. non SC 48,000 miles.

rig runs and drives perfectly. but the last 2 mornings when my mom has started the truck it reads "transmission failure" on the dash and the engine cuts out. she starts it again and it starts, runs, and drives perfectly fine.

so is this a low tranny fluid issue tossing a code or a stored fault that is poping up here and there?

also where is th OBDII port located so i can plug my scan tool in and read the codes? i know to clear you must have a shop do it (same as my 04 disco) but i want to let her know what it might be so we can get it taken care of.

thanks for any help you can give. i know my disco top to bottom and do everything myself, but this Range Rover is a little bit more gizmos attached to everything so before i tear into it i want a good direction to go.

i should note that the service records are vauge. so i know oil changes have been done but i doubt that the tranny, diffs and transfer case have been done. same with brakes and power steering.

could low tranny or worn fluid toss a fault?

thanks guys

joe

Old 10-13-2010, 06:38 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like one of those retarded problems that the newer ones have... Just glitches. I doubt the fluid is to blame or anything mechanical. A connector may be loose, or the transmission computer is on the way out. If there is a code you should be able to remove it.... I can on mine anyways.

Another thing, how do start your cars? Do you just put the key in and instantly go to position NO. 3 to start it? I've found that rovers and jags tend to respond better when you put the key in position 2 first to let things "boot up". If I instantly crank mine over and shift to quickly, I'll sometimes get a fault. Since giving it time to figure things out before I start it, the problems haven't been back. Just a thought anyways...

Last edited by LRScott; 10-13-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:41 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LRScott
Sounds like one of those retarded problems that the newer ones have... Just glitches. I doubt the fluid is to blame or anything mechanical. A connector may be loose, or the transmission computer is on the way out. If there is a code you should be able to remove it.... I can on mine anyways.

Another thing, how do start your cars? Do you just put the key in and instantly go to position NO. 3 to start it? I've found that rovers and jags tend to respond better when you put the key in position 2 first to let things "boot up". If I instantly crank mine over and shift to quickly, I'll sometimes get a fault. Since giving it time to figure things out before I start it, the problems haven't been back. Just a thought anyways...
i have learned on my rover to start in stages. in the mean time i called and told my dad to be sure to disconnect and charge the battery. i suspect it may have sat for awhile and not been run. after that to start in stages and turn the key and let things "BOOT". if that does not stop it i told em to take it to a LR shop and have the codes cleared.