General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ratcheting/clicking noise upon entry

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 09:44 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ratcheting/clicking noise upon entry

Hey all,

In my '03 HSE, every time I open any of the doors or tailgate, I hear a loud "ratcheting" sound coming from right behind the analog clock in the center console, which stops after a few seconds. I assume it might be one of the HVAC doors cycling, but the odd thing is that when you adjust the temp normally, there's no noise....it's only when you open a door. Anyone else experienced this? Everything seems to work fine, but this is rather annoying.

Last edited by zundfolge!; 05-17-2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does it do it while the engine is running?

Old 05-18-2010, 12:03 AM
Mudding

Interesting. I have a similar problem with my 02 which does not have much in common with your Rover. But if I shut a door or the tailgate while the engine is off I too hear a ratcheting type noise coming from the engine compartment. Not sure if it is the same thing but it sounds similar. I have not thought much of it as it does not happen to often and the rover is running perfectly

Old 05-18-2010, 09:03 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by gsd2004
Interesting. I have a similar problem with my 02 which does not have much in common with your Rover. But if I shut a door or the tailgate while the engine is off I too hear a ratcheting type noise coming from the engine compartment. Not sure if it is the same thing but it sounds similar. I have not thought much of it as it does not happen to often and the rover is running perfectly
My old P38s used to do that too, and I believe it is the EAS adjusting. On my Mk.III, it's definitely inside the dash, right behind the clock, leading me to believe that the HVAC flaps are the culprit. Noise only happens when the engine is off and you open a door.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

there is a small asparator fan built into the hvac head unit, this will turn on when you unlock the car, and when you lock the car too... aside from something being loose, theres not much back there that will really make any noise

Old 05-19-2010, 08:27 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by roverguy7
there is a small asparator fan built into the hvac head unit, this will turn on when you unlock the car, and when you lock the car too... aside from something being loose, theres not much back there that will really make any noise
Dave,

But wouldn't the aspirator motor also make noise while the vehicle is running? It most definitely sounds like a flap trying to open/close and is getting hung up on something. Can you confirm that the HVAC flaps do indeed cycle when the doors are opened?

Old 03-03-2011, 12:25 PM
2nd Gear

hello, i am having a problem with my land rover discovery, its an 03. when i start it to go to work or anywhere it is quiet. but when it heats up it ticks. took it to a mechanic and he fixed all my barrens and checked the lifters, and said they were good. but the ticking has quieted down since the cam barren and some other barren where changed out. but it still ticks alittle but enough to annoy you. wat should i do?

Old 03-03-2011, 04:37 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Joiner70, you need to post this in the Discovery section of the forum. We are not as familiar with the Discovery as they are. BTW, the problem you are describing is not even related to the one in this post. Oh, and I think you mean "bearings" not "barrens". The BOSCH Discovery engine will make a loud knocking/tapping noise when it reaches temperature because the piston skirts have collapsed. It will not do any damage and will not compromise the engine, but will annoy the hell out of you. The easiest way to tell if it's the piston skirts, take a garden hose and spray on the side of the block that is making the noise. If the noise goes away, its your piston skirts.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:58 AM
2nd Gear

thx, for the info and I apologize for being in the wrong section and spelling bearings wrong. but thx for ur help.....