General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RRC takes 10 seconds to start when cold

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 08:55 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RRC takes 10 seconds to start when cold

My 1991 RRC takes about 10 seconds to start when its cold, but if its been running and I turn it off and restart, it fires right up. The top half has been rebuilt and she runs flawlessly. I asked my mobile mechanic what it could be, and he says "its a Range Rover". Is he right? Could it be the timing?

Old 02-11-2010, 10:23 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is kind of odd... It should fire right up under any circumstances. Whats the condition of your fuel pump and fuel filter? How cold is it where you are at? You can try leaving the key in the II (on) position for a a few seconds to allow the pump to "prime" the injectors. I do that to all my cars mainly as a courtesy to their electronics. I always hate it when my friends imidiatley put the key to III (start) without letting things boot up.

Last edited by LRScott; 02-11-2010 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:14 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Scott may have something there. If the filter is dirty then it will take more pressure and tim efor enough fuel to get to the motor to run. If it has been a while just replace the filter and see what happens, they are cheap enough.

Other than that, there is a possibility that the cold is affecting the coil and once it is warm it does not have the issue. Usually it goes the other way though with heat being the culprit rather than the cold, an old battery may vause some of it too since when it is colder it takes more for the battery to work.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:29 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks fellas. I appreciate the advice. I will check the gas filters and turn on the electrical before cranking it.