Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hissing sound ever 15 seconds, HDC makes a lot of noise, is that normal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 06:47 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hissing sound ever 15 seconds, HDC makes a lot of noise, is that normal?

My 1999 Disco II is awesome!! I picked it up Sat. It has 27,000 miles on it, YES 27,000. I live in Tokyo and that is average for a car that age. A few questions;

I think the air suspension is making a short (1/2 sec) hissing or pumping sound every 15 seconds or so.
Is that normal?

I engaged the HDC coming down a 4 story parking garage, how is it suppost to sound? Mine sounded like grinding gears in a car with a bunch of little clicks.

I lifted up the drivers side floor-mat and noticed the carpet was a little wet. Typhoon season just ended but it smelled like it had been wet for a while. What is the problem?

Air-con blows hot air for about a minute when the truck starts up. It is still hot outside and I just turned the fan of, no AC. It was pretty hot air though, is this normal?

I thought the millage was around 50,000 but it is right at 27,000. The truck is a 199 so, what should I do to the truck? Engine flush? bleed brakes? I was thinking I could just add some engine treatment to the fuel. Any ideas?

Thanks everyone.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:30 PM
Mudding
Default RE: Hissing sound ever 15 seconds, HDC makes a lot of noise, is that normal?

Hello!!

First off, congrats for the new purchase!... A few things first, do you live in Tokyo? If not, how come you decided to get one from there? :]

1.) The hissing is normal.. I'm assuming because mine does the same thing..

2.) I have HDC, but I haven't had the time to engage it, so i'll let someone else chime in

3.) With the wet floor mats, it could be a couple things. If you have sunroofs, the drains might be plugged up, so get those cleared up because eventually you might get water in your roofliner.... it could also be the A/C drains.. so have a dealership check those things out.

4.) you might need an A/C recharge, or a new fan.. have a dealership check it out.

5.) Why would you think the mileage was around 50,000..when it's ay 27,000 miles?

Old 09-09-2007, 07:50 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Hissing sound ever 15 seconds, HDC makes a lot of noise, is that normal?

ORIGINAL: andrewcloy

My 1999 Disco II is awesome!! I picked it up Sat. It has 27,000 miles on it, YES 27,000. I live in Tokyo and that is average for a car that age. A few questions;

I think the air suspension is making a short (1/2 sec) hissing or pumping sound every 15 seconds or so.
Is that normal?

I engaged the HDC coming down a 4 story parking garage, how is it suppost to sound? Mine sounded like grinding gears in a car with a bunch of little clicks.

I lifted up the drivers side floor-mat and noticed the carpet was a little wet. Typhoon season just ended but it smelled like it had been wet for a while. What is the problem?

Air-con blows hot air for about a minute when the truck starts up. It is still hot outside and I just turned the fan of, no AC. It was pretty hot air though, is this normal?

I thought the millage was around 50,000 but it is right at 27,000. The truck is a 199 so, what should I do to the truck? Engine flush? bleed brakes? I was thinking I could just add some engine treatment to the fuel. Any ideas?

Thanks everyone.
If it is pumping evey 15 seconds you may have a slight air bag leak. When it sits over night does the rear end tend to sag or drop down, if it doesn't, the the noise you are hearing is normal.
HDC will make a little noise as the ABS pulsates at the different wheels while slowing you down.
I would suggest you leav the mats up, maybe spray the carpet with a little Lisol spray to kill the bugs. If it continues to stay damp, you probably have a plugged up a/c condinsation drain tube.
A/c will blow hot for just a bit then cool off as the compressor builds pressure. If you are getting warm to hot air thru the vents with the a/c off, this too is normal and kind of a pain in the ***. Rover tried to correct this problem with no luck.
E-mail me and we will discuss the issue of what to do to maintain your near new truck.
Mike

Old 09-09-2007, 08:31 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Crawl under your truck. You will find 2 rubber nipples coming from about the front of the shifter one either side. These are your drains. Stick a coat hanger up there. Be ready, cause if they are clogged, it will dump water and mud all over you. You don't have to go to a dealer.

A/C sounds normal to me too.

Send Mike a note. He is the master on here and can gide you through all you should need.

Old 09-10-2007, 01:24 AM
Overlanding

Thanks for your replies.
I do live in Tokyo so that is why I bought one from Rover Japan. The sunroofs will be cleaned tonight after work. Sounds like the HDC is okay too, just checking if the noise was normal. The truck doesn't sag that I have noticed. I'll do the soapy water thing and see if I can see something though. I goofed on the miles to kilometer conversion in my head that's why I had thought the milage was higher. Thanks for the help everyone, I'll post some pictures from the Japanese alps when I get back

Thanks again everyone, and yes, Discomike is the man.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:27 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as the A/C blowing hot air when it's off, I found that if you set the A/C at its coolest setting and the fan at its lowest setting before turning it off, diminishes the warm air effect a lot and even almost fixes this problem.