General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what does it mean??

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 12:00 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb what does it mean??

What does it mean when the drivers side vents blow the air conditioner just a tad warmer than the passenger side vents? its just enough to be aggravating? also none of my dash lights work when i turn the headlights on? what do these things mean ? Thank You, new guy 98,

Old 09-01-2011, 04:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

It means you have a genuine Land Rover product, but only if there some additional oil spotting or display of grease on the underside. Since you don't have your vehicle model and year in your signature yet, let me hazard a guess and point you toward something.

There is a free download of most of the factory service manuals, covering many years. It is called the RAVE. See link below. It will have shop manual, owner's manual, electrical manual, body manual, and even electonics and navigation manuals on certain vehicles. Owners manual may provide a quick link to fuse lay out, and electrical manual nails it down to details.

In many Rover designs there are multiple fuse boxes, and the one under the hood feeds the ones under the dash. It is possible to have a fuse under the hood impact instrument lights, but that would also probably knock out something else, like brake or tail lights (so check those before moving the truck again).

For just instruments, the dimmer control rheostat could be intermit or just open, it can be bridged (jumped out) to provide operation until a spare can be obtained.

For one of the center vents not matching temp of the other, and assuming any separate heater control ***** are set the same, you may want to review the RAVE sectons on heater or AC. Dismantle of the dash to get at actuators, blend flaps, etc., is not for the un-prepared.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:22 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you. Im sorry I have a 98 range rover 4.0se and all the exterior lights work as well as all the myriad of internal lights except for the front dash lights or the window switch lights and I looked and the window switch lights in thback work too. As far as the airconditioner you think it could be the blend motors? Again thank you.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The instrument lights go thru the rheostat (volume control for lights), it can be bypassed if testing indicates it is "open". The rheostat (or dimmer) and those lights are fed from fuse F8 in the fuse panel under the dash.

If the radio lights up, but the instruments don't, the problem may be the bulbs or connector behind the dash cluster. If one door does not light, it is probably bulb for that door. These are all fed from same point.

Reference RAVE Electrical Troubleshooting Manual - Section J1 page 2

In the RAVE workshop manual, you will find info on heater controls and testing in section 80.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 09-01-2011 at 08:15 PM.