Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is Awesome!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 01:17 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is Awesome!

Hey guys,

I've read a couple of threads about how awesome Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is for cleaning leather, so I bought some when i was in New York City last week, since it's not available in Dubai.
Let me just say this, its astonishing how my interior came out.
The previous owner neglected the interior, and I finally got around to cleaning it up.
it's like brand new, especially the steering wheel, it's amazing.
I spent just over 4 hours on her, and it was time well spent.

The steps I took are as follows.

1. Get a bucket of water, and Magic Eraser sponge (I used 9 throughout the whole process, but this will obviously vary by car size).
2. Dip the sponge in the water, and squeeze out the excess water.
3. Rub on desired spot (don't rub too hard, let the sponge do the work).
4. Rinse sponge in bucket when it gets dirty.
5. I changed sponges after the one I was using began to fall apart (this is just what I did, I'm not sure if you should change them sooner).
6. Once finished with the sponge, wipe over the area that you just cleaned with a damp towel.
7. Repeat steps 2-6 as neccesary.
8. Make sure you condition your cleaned leather with leather conditioner, otherwise the leather will crack. I used Amor-All Leather Cleaner/Conditioner Wipes, just because that's all that is available to me out here, even though there are better products out there, especially in the States (you can either use a product that shines the leather, or one that does not, I chose the latter, just because I hate shiny leather, it looks cheap to me).

Alright, done with the steps, on to the pics.

The "before" pics are first, followed by the "after" pics.

This is why I never wash my car, only a couple days after I wash Her, this is what She looks like.

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed the pics/write-up.
This is something you should definately do if you have a couple hours to spare.
It cost me roughly $12 for the sponges, and $4 for the leather wipes.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Drifting

this is a thread i made on bimmerforums.com a couple months ago, when i had the ///M5.
since most land rovers have leather interior, i thought i should share it on landroverforums.com!
will be doing this on my discovery after i get some more sponges from the states when i visit again soon.
hope you enjoy!

Old 07-13-2009, 08:05 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

The cleaning agents in that product are way to harsh for leather and vinyl, they will strip the natural oils right out of them.
Consider saddle soap and Lexol for you leather and something really mild to clean the rest of the interior in the future.
Also, consider redoing your seats with a good leather treatment to bring up it's PH level and re oil them.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:49 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
The cleaning agents in that product are way to harsh for leather and vinyl, they will strip the natural oils right out of them.
Consider saddle soap and Lexol for you leather and something really mild to clean the rest of the interior in the future.
Also, consider redoing your seats with a good leather treatment to bring up it's PH level and re oil them.
there aren't any chemicals that are in the sponge, all it is is the sponge.
it gets everything, i mean all dirt, leather conditioner, EVERYTHING off of the leather.
thats why you need to condition the leather well after you use the sponge.
it is very abrasive, thats how it works.
you just need to be careful not to scrub to hard to damage the leather.
you can see from the pics how well it actually cleans.

i do recommend a better leather conditioner, but that is all thats available to me in Dubai.
ive heard that saddle soap is perfect for moisterizing the leather, but i couldnt find any, and AFAIK, there isnt lexol in dubai, otherwise i would have used that after i used the magic eraser.