Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

% off of MSRP?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2023, 10:57 PM
Mudding
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by evomind
Yeah they wont budge on price but looking at cars.com Im seeing more and more for sale sitting on lots.
Wait 6 more months and see if the economy tanks any more then maybe they wont be so smug.
IDK
Originally Posted by _Allegedly
LR Ft Myers was part of this but not going to happen with a Defender.

Thx for the quick replies. Much appreciated!
yeah I figured as much. I’m just gonna accept the new normal for now , & go along with msrp. Just trying now to decide on engines,4 or 6 ? Lol

Old 05-31-2023, 07:34 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 23.5 build - Markup cost

hi...i have 23.5 build set for delivery this summer. Dealer has over $5K added "markup". With 24 models on horizon should I ask to waive this? I get it there was demand but now there seems to be more inventory. I'm not planning trade-in as well. Also, what interest rates are you getting for new purchase? I have excellent credit rating and want to get vehicle (obviously) for lowest overall cost.
I'm in New England area. Thanks for your input..

Old 05-31-2023, 08:05 AM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by nfranc
hi...i have 23.5 build set for delivery this summer. Dealer has over $5K added "markup". With 24 models on horizon should I ask to waive this? I get it there was demand but now there seems to be more inventory. I'm not planning trade-in as well. Also, what interest rates are you getting for new purchase? I have excellent credit rating and want to get vehicle (obviously) for lowest overall cost.
Regardless of what the online inventory says (Cars.com etc), dealers cannot get enough 110s. There are 130s available though.
Sees odd that you are paying $5k over for an ordered car? Pretty sure those days are over.
I am in southern CT and took delivery of a 110SE a month ago for sticker & conveyance fee ($699). No dealer added protection packs, security or window etching.

Old 05-31-2023, 08:06 AM
Mudding
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I would definitely ask to have that markup removed. I am located in Florida & have an order for a my 24” … No markup! Msrp.
prior to placing my order, I have been calling around the country trying to locate a similar build for a 23.5 & most dealers are selling @ msrp no additional adjustments. That’s pretty much a thing of the past. Covid is over! Some people are just really trying to over milk the cow, Really upsets me! Also just to add, shortly after u take delivery , 24”s will be arriving. As far as interest rates, BOA is advertising @ 6% ….. If u find better please let us know.

The following users liked this post:
curb-optional (05-31-2023)
Old 05-31-2023, 08:25 AM
Mudding
Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

my dealer said new custom builds are about 6 months out, so getting yours this summer sounds great. but even with that, I'd be hesitant to go $5k over MSRP. a few thoughts: first, MSRP has been a moving target, and mostly upwards, so there's already been price increases by moving up MSRP. Second, it depends on your custom build. If you ordered something that nobody else may likely want (pink 90 with 22" rims and rag top), I would ask if the $5k extra has to do with difficulty of re-selling your build if you fail to accept delivery (for whatever reason). If that's it, you can potentially pay some now, and get rid of any "insurance" your dealer is pricing for you not wanting the delivered version. Last, make sure it's actually padding. Many dealers must then collect sales taxes, delivery fees, and that will bring your price over MSRP. Confirm if the $5k represents something that you can negotiate.

Old 05-31-2023, 08:31 AM
Mudding
Received 82 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Trey Branham
What kinds of discounts, if any, are people seeing? If geography matters, I am in North Texas. Are you seeing larger discounts if you order vs what is on the lot?

If you order, what is the current delivery time?

Thanks very much!
I got about 2k off MSRP on a 130 Defender X-Dynamic SE.

They also ate a few bucks on the trade in so I didn't have to come outta pocket to get outta my lease. So Arguably about 3k off total.

On the other hand I'm sure they're about to put my trade in back on the lot for 10k+ more than they gave me, so that plus their dealer fee, they made their money off me lol.

Short answer though, 2k off is whats shown on the paperwork.

For what its worth they were an awesome dealer that did all the work and took care of me. So even if I didn't get the most smoking deal of the century I'm fine with paying people who work for it and do right me (the customer).

Old 05-31-2023, 08:34 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by curb-optional
my dealer said new custom builds are about 6 months out, so getting yours this summer sounds great. but even with that, I'd be hesitant to go $5k over MSRP. a few thoughts: first, MSRP has been a moving target, and mostly upwards, so there's already been price increases by moving up MSRP. Second, it depends on your custom build. If you ordered something that nobody else may likely want (pink 90 with 22" rims and rag top), I would ask if the $5k extra has to do with difficulty of re-selling your build if you fail to accept delivery (for whatever reason). If that's it, you can potentially pay some now, and get rid of any "insurance" your dealer is pricing for you not wanting the delivered version. Last, make sure it's actually padding. Many dealers must then collect sales taxes, delivery fees, and that will bring your price over MSRP. Confirm if the $5k represents something that you can negotiate.
PS it may be dumb, but I fully intended to order a 2024. I decided to pick a 2023.5 because the bigger Meridian sound system was mysteriously dropped from the 2024, 130 X-Dynamic SE. Not available as an add on option either as far as I can tell. I need a good stereo a lot more than I needed a flat load floor in the cargo area, so for me. I worked my *** off to find a 2023.5 that was actually available.

JLR the only company that I've ever seen actually take away features year after year rather than bring more to the table. The clear sight rear view mirror was also not on a single 'on the ground' 2023.5130 x-dynamic se in the country (according to my dealership) and best I can tell it wont be on the 2024 models either.

Old 05-31-2023, 08:45 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for all your input. I'll definitely try to get rid of the $5K markup. My dealer says my build has no strings attached in that, if I choose to not take it, I lose nothing because the build is easily sellable with no strange options. I remain skeptical as I'm also told that until it lands at port we really have no idea what items fell off the build (e.g. USB ports, screen size etc) so I would have right of first refusal if certain items aren't delivered. I find this all very sketchy but also understand if I balk at taking the 23.5 build then who knows when I can get a 2024 with my specs and at what cost.
Let's see what happens but again thanks to all for your comments..

Old 05-31-2023, 08:53 AM
Mudding

thanks for all your input. I'll definitely try to get rid of the $5K markup. My dealer says my build has no strings attached in that, if I choose to not take it, I lose nothing because the build is easily sellable with no strange options. I remain skeptical as I'm also told that until it lands at port we really have no idea what items fell off the build (e.g. USB ports, screen size etc) so I would have right of first refusal if certain items aren't delivered. I find this all very sketchy but also understand if I balk at taking the 23.5 build then who knows when I can get a 2024 with my specs and at what cost.
Let's see what happens but again thanks to all for your comments..
I too found it sketchy. They can't know whats actually on it until much further in the process. JLR builds whatever they want and you take it or leave it. But as far as I know most of the items that were on constraint are no longer so. They just remove them from what they will build altogether. All the USBs are back, the full digital gauge display is more or less back. The only thing I've not seen back in all my searching on the lots were the clear sight rear view mirrior. That said, yes 2024 is an even bigger crap shoot. So I found a 2023.5 that was 95-99% perfect for what I wanted and pulled the trigger. If certain things are important to you, I suggest you do some of the leg work and find whats in stock. I poured over dealership photos for a week before I landed on the one I took home, since JLR doesn't really post the window stickers the best you could do was look at pictures to see what they had. I probably zoomed into about 50 dealership stock photos looking to confirm whether they had adaptive cruise control for example. I'm missing the full digital gauges (but frankly I like the look of the half analog gauges anyway and the best functionality of the full screen is the full screen map, which doesn't work with Android Auto or CarPlay so I figured I'd never use it anyway.) No for me, clear sight was the big thing that I had to make my peace without. A lotta folks say they hate it anyway or its just not necessary in practice. So I'm just going to chalk it up to I can't miss something I never had lol.

Old 05-31-2023, 08:56 AM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by curb-optional
I think you are confusing an initial order deposit with a selling price mark-up.

Quick Reply: % off of MSRP?