Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*Before buying aftermarket wheels*

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2020, 11:17 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 697 Likes on 405 Posts

TexasLandmark:

I noted the Wrangler A/T have a marked lower weight carrying capacity than the Pirelli and Michelin tires I have used on my LR4, as well as the new Goodyear Duratrac tires. The Defender with with the off-road pack comes standard with the Wrangler A/T Adventure which comes with a hefty 2535 lbs carrying capacity.

I am about to buy new 19" tires for the LR4, as well as picking up the new Defender with Goodyear's, so the topic is right in front of me presently.

I have not yet looked at the BFGs or Nittos.... will do so -- but maybe they do not come in 19"?

Last edited by TrioLRowner; 09-26-2020 at 07:59 AM.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:52 AM
Winching
Received 558 Likes on 252 Posts

Neither Nitto, nor BFG (nor anyone else other than Goodyear, AFAIK) currently makes a 19" A/T tire in a size suitable for the Defender. The stock 255/65R19 Adventure has an XL load index of 2600 lbs, which is more than adequate for the Defender (remember it is quite a bit lighter than your LR4 to begin with.) The optional Wrangler Duratracs have the same L.I. as the Adventures, but a much lower speed rating of Q (99 mph), which may become a liability if you like to go real fast down the highway - it's easy to exceed 100 mph with these cars. Like I said, there are better options than the Duratracs in my opinion, but not in 19" size unfortunately. If the Defender is successful, Nitto, BFG, or another manufacturer may eventually decide to add that size, fingers crossed.

The following users liked this post:
Jjohn581@aol.com (09-25-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 12:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by umbertob
Neither Nitto, nor BFG (nor anyone else other than Goodyear, AFAIK) currently makes a 19" A/T tire in a size suitable for the Defender. The stock 255/65R19 Adventure has an XL load index of 2600 lbs, which is more than adequate for the Defender (remember it is quite a bit lighter than your LR4 to begin with.) The optional Wrangler Duratracs have the same L.I. as the Adventures, but a much lower speed rating of Q (99 mph), which may become a liability if you like to go real fast down the highway - it's easy to exceed 100 mph with these cars. Like I said, there are better options than the Duratracs in my opinion, but not in 19" size unfortunately. If the Defender is successful, Nitto, BFG, or another manufacturer may eventually decide to add that size, fingers crossed.
Gotcha... I'm from the old world of 35x12.5r15s... my spare wheelset now is 275/55r20s on the discoV. I avoided 19s on purpose and didn't want to do a caliper swap to get 18s... just kinda sucked it up and went with extra 20s and onboard air.

Old 09-25-2020, 12:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 605 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasLandmark
Anyone have any ideas why the goodyear wrangler AT tires are so much less expensive than other AT name brand tires?... almost 100 dollars cheaper per tire than bfg KO2s and the Nitto grappler stuff. For me it came down to bfg and nitto for my spare offroad wheelset... ended up going USA over Japanese... and I've had great wear and grip with bfg at and mt in the past... the wranglers were off the table due to being so much less expensive... i assume there is a reason but I didn't research the goodyears.
When using the Defender "build" feature on the LR website, I noticed the extra charge of about $350 for off-road tires. The odd thing is that if you look at the tire prices on Tire Rack, the GY Adventure AT tires cost about $400 less than the Michelin or Pirelli tires that come as standard equipment on the Defender. Seems odd.

Last edited by PaulLR; 09-25-2020 at 02:54 PM.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:41 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulLR
When using the Defender "build" feature on the LR website, I noticed the extra charge of about $350 for off-road tires. The odd think is that if you look at the tire prices on Tire Rack, the GY Adventure AT tires cost about $400 less than the Michelin or Pirelli tires that come as standard equipment on the Defender. Seems odd.
The pirellis that came on my disco have an LR stamp and were made specifically to hand over to rover... im sure there is a sweetheart deal... i also believe the wheels and tires were both made in Italy... so importing and taxes and shipping and what not probably factors in as well... but if I was at discount tire, I would laugh if they wanted that much more for goodyears over pirellis or michelins.

Old 09-25-2020, 06:03 PM
8th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Neither Nitto, nor BFG (nor anyone else other than Goodyear, AFAIK) currently makes a 19" A/T tire in a size suitable for the Defender... if the Defender is successful, Nitto, BFG, or another manufacturer may eventually decide to add that size, fingers crossed.
This is SO frustrating. The 19” wheels look awesome, but I won’t buy one with them knowing how limited my tire options are.

Old 09-25-2020, 09:49 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by FlyFishing701
Just wanted to throw this out there since I'm in the business and have talked to a couple wheel manufacturers about this, and did some measurements for one. On the 110 P400 I have there is a large anti-vibration thingadoohickey that sticks out from spindle toward the barrel of the rim. I did a few test fits and this MotoMetal MO970 in 20x9 +18m did not clear this piece. I'm guessing quite a few 20s and especially ones with a higher offset are going to rub on this also. Just wanted everyone to be aware. The RedBourne Morland and Alston wheels do clear with a little room. I do believe it is removable?? But not positive since I didn't really mess with it. I'd like to keep it if LR thinks it needs to be there. Here are some pics. If getting wheels you may bring it up with the company your buying from and make sure they have tested/measured for clearance.
Adam.

Doohickey

1/2 inch or so clearance

MO970 rub
I just took a good look at my 110 tonight. Happy to say I don't have that hockey puck thingie hanging inside the front wheels. Therefore, my guess is, whatever it is, you don't need it and can safely remove it if fitting a wheel is an issue because of it. My 110 was manufactured 07/01/20, and perhaps they applied that mod in your photos to early production, then they determined the part was not needed? Or perhaps they only apply it to cars fitted with 20" wheels, which doesn't make much sense? I ordered my car with 19" wheels, and I doubt even those factory wheels would fit with that chunky piece of metal installed.

I took some photos in a dark garage and without removing the wheel, so the photos kind of suck as you can barely see the "mount" section slightly sticking out through the spokes, but whatever that piece of metal is, it's definitely not attached to my car's wheel hub. I have a P400, of course.

Regardless, I believe the big issue is rear caliper clearance (like many with the P400 I am looking at getting 18" wheels one day soon, if possible), not the front. The guys at Lucky 8 have swapped the rear calipers with smaller ones from a Discovery 5 on the rear axle to fit their aftermarket 18s, and said nothing about fitting problems on the front. So, their own Defender was probably delivered without those pucks as well.

Umberto

Last edited by umbertob; 09-25-2020 at 09:58 PM.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:55 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I need a favor from anyone with Defender 20" wheels...if you are rotating the tires or installing winter wheels or waxing under the spare, can you please let me know the offset number that is stamped on the inside of the wheel? Probably has "ET" before or after the number. I can't find it published anywhere. I'm curious how it compares to the offset on the 20" LR4 wheels. I did find the Defender 19" wheel offset published and 19" LR4 wheels won't fit.

Old 09-26-2020, 09:14 AM
Winching

Factory wheels offset is +41.5 across the range of sizes and styles: 18, 19, 20, 22", alloy or steel.

Old 09-26-2020, 10:11 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Factory wheels offset is +41.5 across the range of sizes and styles: 18, 19, 20, 22", alloy or steel.
Thank you so much Umberto! So no reason to keep the 20" wheels (+53 offset) that came with my LR4.

Quick Reply: *Before buying aftermarket wheels*