Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10” vs 11.4”?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2021, 06:19 PM
4wd Low
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sacharama
Yes it is. Just because the bigger screen breaks the continuity of the lines of the cross car beam doesn’t mean that it’s bad, it only means that the design has a different characteristic. Overlapping is a valid and flattering design as long as the overlapping is done with proper proportion and scale, in this case, i think JLR designers did a great job accomplishing that.
And to add to this, the bigger screen is nearer to your fingertips by 1 1/2 inch, ca. So easier to reach.

The following users liked this post:
Chief65 (08-06-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 06:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 253 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by The_hog
And to add to this, the bigger screen is nearer to your fingertips by 1 1/2 inch, ca. So easier to reach.
I would agree, this aspect of the larger screen (reach) is relevant to me, especially since the camera toggle icon is on the passenger's side at the very edge of the screen (in the US). It's a longish stretch and I use the camera views sometimes when parking or in a tight drive thru etc, plus I have a long reach to begin with, someone with shorter arms might as well forget it.

Maybe the icon location is customizable. Not sure... but moving it to the left sidebar would help immensely, I haven't messed around with the pivi-pro's customization options very much yet tbf. Edit: I was in fact able to place the camera Icon on the left sidebar today. It's a little tricky but it's possible and makes it much easier to reach. You do have to replace one of the three default icons on the sidebar to do it though, I think i got rid of the one for the phone. There's already a large phone tile on the screen and a think there's a physical phone button on the steering wheel so i can do without it on the sidebar.

Having the screen any further away though would not be good for usability IMO, like vents for example. I don't know that I've even touched one yet, it certainly wouldn't have been while actively driving, they're even further away than the screen obviously. With that being said I wouldn't want to be cramped up close to the dashboard because my legs are long and us long-legged folks need high bench-type or captains type seats and longish extension of the steering column travel to sit comfortably, not far away seating, higher seating. The Defender does a pretty good job of that. Still not perfect like an old cargo van I used to drive years ago but much better seating than most.

Last edited by Chief65; 08-07-2021 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-06-2021, 07:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 235 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman153
I have the 11.4 as well, it's a no brainer upgrade. I see what people are saying about the design, but in person with it turned on it honestly makes the old one look dated and imho only enhances the design. Also note that the 11.4 has much smaller bezels and comes across as being super thin due to how they did the edges.

Agreed.

Full screen mode navigation on the 11.4” validates fully my decision of opting for it!

The following 2 users liked this post by sacharama:
pllr (08-07-2021), Siddious33 (09-10-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 11:53 PM
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi guys,

I am new to Land Rover. They aren't the most popular in India. As a matter of fact I have only seen 2 Defenders on the road till now. They dont have a lot of them because its literally a lot of money to buy one. My SE is about 150,000 USD. Given the economics of our pay scales, the defender is even more dearer and hence no one buys them here.

The dilemma that puts us under here is that the sales people are not aware of anything and are pretty useless. So, I am just booking my 110 SE today. I don't think my dealer gave me an option. Having read the views here, I was wondering if you guys can share real pictures of how the bigger screen looks.

Thanks
Siddharth

gdyear78 (08-07-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 03:42 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,505 Likes on 1,016 Posts

Both screens look good to me. Bigger is better for sure. Every car I've bought with some infotainment tech has been obsolete in about 3 years so I've long since stopped caring about such things in a car.

Hardware is where I used up my budget. Granted a couple of tanks of gas extra for an extra ~8 square inches of screen is no biggie. Just seems like a needless upsell to me. Adds nothing to the truck's capabilities or comfort. For an additional tank of gas I'll get the rear recovery eyes.

I'll still end up plugging my iphone in and using it as my interface regardless.

To each their own of course. I just don't view it, as some suggested, as a no brainer upgrade. In a model or two it will be standard. I reckon technological redundancy costs will outpace the revenue from the bigger screen upsell. A 14" screen will feature thereafter. Either way, at resell point it will not feature as a cost variable.

Old 08-07-2021, 02:29 PM
Mudding
Received 91 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mammoth
I just got my '22MY 110 w/ the smaller screen, and I haven't noticed the lag that I did when I test drove a '20. I wonder if they updated the processor on the smaller version as well.
If you’re referring to the PiviPro, an OTA update earlier this year markedly improved system responsiveness when switching between menus.

Old 08-07-2021, 05:00 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by GavinC

To each their own of course. I just don't view it, as some suggested, as a no brainer upgrade. In a model or two it will be standard. I reckon technological redundancy costs will outpace the revenue from the bigger screen upsell. A 14" screen will feature thereafter. Either way, at resell point it will not feature as a cost variable.
It might not be a cost variable but probably will eliminate certain buyers all together. Shrink your market pool and you shrink your potential value.

Old 08-07-2021, 06:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,505 Likes on 1,016 Posts

Originally Posted by Moretti
It might not be a cost variable but probably will eliminate certain buyers all together. Shrink your market pool and you shrink your potential value.
it’s possible I suppose.

I guess the same can be argued for any feature.

rear locker

fridge

tow Hitch

3l engine

three row seating

etc

Id argue the screen size is down the priority list for many potential buyers, new or used, but you make a valid argument for sure.

I’d not buy one without a tow hitch or a rear locker. Some folks wouldn’t buy one with a smaller screen.

markjlr (06-29-2022)
Old 08-07-2021, 07:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 253 Likes on 155 Posts

Major variants i.e. p300/p400 and 90/110 aside, if you want some specific option then I would just say get it (for you) but as far as adding to the resale there's so much depreciation in the first place I don't think many of these options will move the needle a whole lot down the road unless you find someone with a special use-case. What you might want to consider though is with the rear locker for instance adding additional vectoring and brake wear how many more $2300 brake jobs are you going to need. Then I think even if that's just one more over a 6 year period it may amount to a wash at best as far as any added resale that you're going to get on the back-end.

Old 08-07-2021, 09:23 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Siddharth
Hi guys,

I am new to Land Rover. They aren't the most popular in India. As a matter of fact I have only seen 2 Defenders on the road till now. They dont have a lot of them because its literally a lot of money to buy one. My SE is about 150,000 USD. Given the economics of our pay scales, the defender is even more dearer and hence no one buys them here.

The dilemma that puts us under here is that the sales people are not aware of anything and are pretty useless. So, I am just booking my 110 SE today. I don't think my dealer gave me an option. Having read the views here, I was wondering if you guys can share real pictures of how the bigger screen looks.

Thanks
Siddharth

Here you go, we just picked up our new Defender and has ordered the larger screen. No complaints so far, it’s great. I would suggest adding after seeing the smaller screen this is much easier to see while driving etc.

The following 2 users liked this post by gdyear78:
GavinC (08-07-2021), PatriotDefender (08-08-2021)

Quick Reply: 10” vs 11.4”?