Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

19 inch or 20 inch

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2024, 02:01 PM
Mudding
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by GavinC
100's if not 1000's of times more vehicles on 20, 18 and 17" rims. 19 is a complete oddball size that LR uses. No strong demand for 19" tires.

You can't. Goodyear don't beef up the sidewalls with the second layer of Kevlar and steel in the LR sizes. Lightweight and thin sidewalls are the go in the OEM

Snow tires. Good luck finding any in 19" . They exist but are few.

A/T it's Duratrac or..... well that's it. The Goodyear Adventure is a highway tire in all but name and very suitable for many if not most users. The new KO3. No 19" sizing despite lots of optimistic reports to the contrary.

M/T none in 19"

I'm pretty sure this dead horse has been beaten all the way to Dante's 7th level in this thread.
Choices. If you like having them, the 19"s are a no.
I went to a tire dealer (sullivan tire) and found some Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar. They seem to fit, but that is just one tire dealer. I have to call to verify... would have been nice for JLR to make things easy for folks handing them $80k - you know, just friggen put 18" rims on there and sell it.
tire image 3
tire image 4
tire image 5
brand logo image
Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure

Our most versatile all-terrain tire with the toughness of DuPont Kevlar to go off-road at a moments notice
$30600

Size
255/65R19 114H
Warranty
60,000 Mile Warranty
Season
All Season
Service Description
114H (XL)

Ride Guarantee Icon
Goodyear 30-Day Ride Guarantee

Old 05-15-2024, 02:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 160 Likes on 111 Posts

I just noticed Discount Tire now shows KO3 tires 255/65LT19 114V is due November 2025 not late this year as previously expected, which makes sense they aren't shown in the road map - yet.

Yikes! So, 18 months, not six...

Last edited by Ratledge; 05-17-2024 at 04:40 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ratledge:
curb-optional (05-17-2024), Unibrain (05-15-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 02:22 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,306 Likes on 951 Posts

Originally Posted by curb-optional
I went to a tire dealer (sullivan tire) and found some Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar. They seem to fit, but that is just one tire dealer. I have to call to verify... would have been nice for JLR to make things easy for folks handing them $80k - you know, just friggen put 18" rims on there and sell it.
No images
Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure

Our most versatile all-terrain tire with the toughness of DuPont Kevlar to go off-road at a moments notice
$30600

Size
255/65R19 114H
Warranty
60,000 Mile Warranty
Season
All Season
Service Description
114H (XL)

Ride Guarantee Icon
Goodyear 30-Day Ride Guarantee
Yes. They all have Kevlar. All of the Goodyear Adventures have Kevlar. All of them.

But here's the kicker.
Not all sizes get the same number of layers.
OEM sizes get 1 layer of Kevlar not two. Little or no steel either.
It looks good on the label though.
Kevlar! Strong! Adventure!

Of course they fit. They're OEM.

I've been wheeling with quite a few Defenders over the past few years in various conditions.
On no occasion were the Defenders shod in the Adventures able to reach the final destination. Sidewall tears, and inadequate traction were the culprits.

The following 2 users liked this post by GavinC:
curb-optional (05-17-2024), mopadzi (05-23-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 03:00 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by GavinC
Yes. They all have Kevlar. All of the Goodyear Adventures have Kevlar. All of them.

But here's the kicker.
Not all sizes get the same number of layers.
OEM sizes get 1 layer of Kevlar not two. Little or no steel either.
It looks good on the label though.
Kevlar! Strong! Adventure!

Of course they fit. They're OEM.

For example, my OEM tires (MY23.5 D90S P300) are 6 ply. 2 in the sidewall, 4 in the tread. You can't buy those, but 10-ply (4 sidewall + 6 tread) are what we can get. Not sure, but I guess if you get them from LR you're buying crap tires comparatively, typically for significantly more.

Last edited by Ratledge; 05-15-2024 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-20-2024, 10:34 AM
Rock Crawling

Since the available date for BFG KO3 in 255/65R19 slipped into late 2025, I am swapping my OG OEM Wrangler AT Adventure set (now with between 3/32 and 6/32.except for the new passenger rear after 19k miles on gravel) for a set of 255/60R19 Falken Wildpeaks. I lose 1/2 sidewall top & bottom and it's a 31.2" tires instead of 32.1"

When the KO3 comes out I will do a swap to their 255/65R19.

The following users liked this post:
curb-optional (05-20-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 10:43 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Hugha
I went with 19s because that was the smallest rim they offered for the P400. I wish they had warned me there are maybe 2 choices for 19" A/Ts.
Don't give up hope! The 19"s you have give you an extra 1/2 of sidewall, so you have the best option in the lineup from that angle. The 20"s are no wider and simply reduce sidewall, so there's no benefit there IMO. the Goodyear All Terrain Adventure as OEMs don't say Kevlar on the tire. When you buy your next set of tires from an independent shop, you'll get the ones that say Kevlar. Are they any better? IDK, but I've noticed the difference. You can also look at Duratrac tires for the 19s, but those are basically commercial grade and maybe not the best ride quality. definitely explore the Kevlar versions. I've heard Michelin has a tire for the 19s: LTX MS2 product# 16118. It's new, and may not be as puncture resistant as the Kevlar from GY. It's listed as an "all season" not an "all terrain." Last, KO3 are coming out in stages. Will there be a 19" KO3? Well, there may be. If you want to see one, call BF Goodrich and tell them that you have a fistfull of dollars, a Defender, and 19" rims. They are absolutely taking very detailed notes - I called already. The long and short of it, if they get enough interest, the KO3s or similarly strong tires (Trail Terrain) from them are always possible in the 19s. The basic problem the tire companies seem to have had is that JLR doesn't want their SUVs to be fitted with off road tires, so, sure enough, tire companies don't make tires for modern LRs. IF JLR customers push tire companies - and JLR pushed a bit too - the 19" rim would get a few more choices. JLR went rogue by building an exceptional off road SUV with loads of advanced 4x4 technology, and then refusing to fit the Defender with the correct rim size for tire selection & use of that same 4x4 tech. Plastic shovel anyone? ... It was an insanely large "FU" to the community of LR fans hoping for the 18"s to maximize their tire choices. But owners can have an impact, as most tire companies would love to have Defender owners as customers. We're easy to target: folks that have shown a willingness to overpay so long as the product is superior. I don't think BF will make many to fit the 19s, but right now they have zero. exactly none. I think they can do better than completely ignoring a base of expensive off road Defenders.

The following 2 users liked this post by curb-optional:
Ratledge (05-20-2024), The Phantom Menace (07-05-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 11:16 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts

My response from Tire Rack when inquiring about the 19" KO3's was:"They have not given us any information as to when they will roll out that size. Just that it will be coming this year." Note: this year.

The following 2 users liked this post by RH5555:
curb-optional (05-21-2024), Ratledge (05-20-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 12:02 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by RH5555
My response from Tire Rack when inquiring about the 19" KO3's was:"They have not given us any information as to when they will roll out that size. Just that it will be coming this year." Note: this year.
Hmmm... It surely would not hurt my feelings! I think they are going to reshod a lot of 90S and similar models.

Old 05-21-2024, 09:30 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by SpyHop
Count me in as one of those Tiny Fractions who ordered the P400 with 19" wheels. I am not thrilled with the limited snow tire availability and can't wait for more options in off-road tires, too, but wanted road comfort and more sidewall for off-road (beach driving, snow, mud,dirt and gravel roads - nothing hard core though). It's a good compromise for what I do with the vehicle.
Good luck when your new Defender arrives! I did the exact same as you, so you have company! I put a build order in with my dealer for a 2025 110 Defender with the 3.0L engine on 19" rims - the S Trim. I couldn't bring myself to go for the 20" rim, as the 19" gets an extra 1/2 inch of cushion in the sidewall so why turn that down?! I ordered the air suspension, but still, I can't imagine how's a sidewall is not going to be helpful? As for tire selection, I've heckled tire companies to make tires for the 255/65/19. Some were very good and listened intently (like BF Goodrich). That company wants to sell tires - they seemed highly interested. On the other side, some outright laughed a the idea of supporting a tire choice for Defender: like Wildpeak/Sumitomo. (I think Wildpeak has a cross ownership with Toyota,so maybe overlooking Defender has more to do with some other issues - IDK). Firestone - which makes some nice Destination Series tires - also didn't seem interested in offering a tire for Defender. Good Year supports Defenders with not just one, but 2 tires! Go Good Year! They have the Kevlar tires and also Duratrac. I'm likely to stick with the Kevlar All Terrain Adventures. If BF makes KO3s available, I'd try them when I needed a replacement set. Other tire companies will hopefully cave and start selling the 255/65/19s. With no more JLR 18" rims being sold with the 2.0L, those buyers will likely migrate to the 19" S Trim, making it a bit more popular going forward. We'll see. This is Defender's 6th model year of production, and if JLR sticks to the 19"s, I think - eventually - a few more tire options will be available. When you think back to other US LRs, the LR2/3/4, none of those were really produced with off road tires in mind. The Defender is the first and only JLR SUV that is intentionally built to fit an off road tire for off road use - and I think Defender has to break into the tire market. KO2s were never contemplated for RRs, and so I think JLR has to fight for "shelf space" in the tire manufacturing world.... But that's just an opinion. And the more of us Tiny Fractions out there, the more likely we'll see a few more tire choices!

Last edited by curb-optional; 05-21-2024 at 09:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
The Phantom Menace (07-05-2024)
Old 05-23-2024, 06:31 PM
Rock Crawling

My temporary solution for my D90S P300 with (6011)​​​ 19" rims is running Falken Wildpeaks 255/60HR19 (losing ½" sidewall) and its a 31.3" tire vice 32.1" Goodyear OEM Wranglers.

Last edited by Ratledge; 05-26-2024 at 08:29 AM.

Quick Reply: 19 inch or 20 inch