Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.0 vs 3.0 Help me make up my mind.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2021, 07:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 304 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by maxmk8
I was hoping that someone would chime in on the torque dip in the 3.0 from 2000-2500 I found it to be quite annoying to be honest.
I haven't driven the 2.0 so I can't say if I would be happy with it.

That said I can't imagine I would after having the 3.0 for a year.

I can't find a Dyno chart to confirm but I don't think you are correct in your impression.

I'll say the P400 has pretty sensitive controls in both the throttle and brakes.

I don't drive it daily and it often takes me a little bit to adjust when I come out of my Jeep and hop into the Defender.

Now there is just the slightest induction lag if you go heavy on throttle from a low rpm but I don't think it's a dip as much as a slight delay before a large ramp up of power.

Of course, you don't NEED to drive it that way and with a little care it is quite smooth, linear and unhurried from a dead stop to speed.

Or you can pull away quicker than most traffic without going deep in the throttle at all.

But it can also be fun to give it the beans once in a while whether it's a merge lane or other excuse to get moving right now.

​​​​​​

The following 3 users liked this post by Kev M:
mopadzi (11-29-2021), swajames (11-23-2021), TrioLRowner (11-24-2021)
Old 11-23-2021, 08:02 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

I have a 400. Spent the day (off-road) in a 300 at Biltmore last week. The 300 was totally adequate for that work. But honestly, so would a P200, and probably a P125.

But driving back to ATL I was reminded of how often I ask of and use all the Inline 6 has to offer; I like to get around big trucks and into fast-closing gaps and things of that nature, and the 400 is very adept at the 70-100 run, where I feel certain the 300 would fall short.

But honestly… if you’re asking this question you probably are not going to be asking your truck to do the kinds of things that require the big motor, and if you’re not, the 300 is totally adequate. I wouldn’t worry about it.

As far as the power delivery you mentioned, I think you’re experiencing an artifact of LR’s ZF8 transmission programming, at least that’s what I complain about with mine (minor complaining, but I notice these things.)

The following 2 users liked this post by NoGaBiker:
mopadzi (11-29-2021), TrioLRowner (11-24-2021)
Old 11-23-2021, 10:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 109 Posts

I have the 400 in my 2021 and find it to be powerful, smooth and responsive. It's a very strong engine, and there's no 2000 to 2500 RPM dip. Every once in a while, though, there is what seems to be the transmission glitch others noted where it seems to hold the lower gear a little longer than it should. This only happens with delicate throttle application. Driven normally, it doesn't manifest itself.

The following 2 users liked this post by swajames:
mopadzi (11-29-2021), TrioLRowner (11-24-2021)
Old 11-23-2021, 11:22 PM
Mudding
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
I have the 400 in my 2021 and find it to be powerful, smooth and responsive. It's a very strong engine, and there's no 2000 to 2500 RPM dip. Every once in a while, though, there is what seems to be the transmission glitch others noted where it seems to hold the lower gear a little longer than it should. This only happens with delicate throttle application. Driven normally, it doesn't manifest itself.
interesting two members now mentioned transmission programming.

btw JLR states that peak torque comes on at 1500-4000 for the 2.slow and 2000-4500 for the 3.0. So I can’t be completely crazy about the power delivery. You’d think a bigger motor would reach peak torque sooner.

i have very Little interest in reving the crap out of a motor in a giant lump of a vehicle and have 0 interest in towing.

also obviously even 50hp is enough off roads with low range so that’s not a concern ever.

Old 11-23-2021, 11:33 PM
Mudding
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I have a 400. Spent the day (off-road) in a 300 at Biltmore last week. The 300 was totally adequate for that work. But honestly, so would a P200, and probably a P125.

But driving back to ATL I was reminded of how often I ask of and use all the Inline 6 has to offer; I like to get around big trucks and into fast-closing gaps and things of that nature, and the 400 is very adept at the 70-100 run, where I feel certain the 300 would fall short.

But honestly… if you’re asking this question you probably are not going to be asking your truck to do the kinds of things that require the big motor, and if you’re not, the 300 is totally adequate. I wouldn’t worry about it.

As far as the power delivery you mentioned, I think you’re experiencing an artifact of LR’s ZF8 transmission programming, at least that’s what I complain about with mine (minor complaining, but I notice these things.)
yea I don’t foresee daily 70-100 runs in a 5000lb brick. That’s a reckless driving charge.

i really did enjoy the i6 in the higher rpms and it really moves. Just didn’t think anything of it while not on the throttle.

it’s like the i6 is great if you drive like a bank robber but sort of sucks when you cruise, and the i4 is great during daily driving and sucks for when you need the extra oomph.

another thing that is great is access to smaller wheels, this thing rides meh on 20s good on 19s and great on 18s for my purpose. It also feels a solid 200/300lbs lighter on its feet without the bigger motor. Which really isn’t a bad thing.

on the flip side I’d be losing cooled and memory seats which is annoying.

that said my mind really isn’t made up. Just waiting for someone to tell me “oh yea they fixed the odd engine Behavior in the i6 with a software update in the 22+ Models”

Last edited by maxmk8; 11-24-2021 at 12:01 AM.
Old 11-23-2021, 11:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 109 Posts

btw JLR states that peak torque comes on at 1500-4000 for the 2.slow and 2000-4500 for the 3.0. So I can’t be completely crazy about the power delivery. You’d think a bigger motor would reach peak torque sooner.

i have very Little interest in reving the crap out of a motor in a giant lump of a vehicle and have 0 interest in towing.

also obviously even 50hp is enough off roads with low range so that’s not a concern ever.
You don't need to rev the crap out of the six cylinder. No one here has suggested otherwise. And remember the I6 never makes less torque than the I4 makes at its peak.

But like all of us, you have to get what works best for you.

The following users liked this post:
Kev M (11-24-2021)
Old 11-24-2021, 04:44 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

If this is a real issue and it's not just user input, could the MHEV system with electric supercharger be causing some of the vehicle-to-vehicle variance that's being described here?

Does the type of driving (city/hwy) or personal driving style have an effect on its ability to harvest the energy needed to give the full torque boost?

Are there different versions of MHEV software or are some vehicles just not working properly? We've seen some complaints of inexplicably low mpg and there have been a few turbo failures where the vehicles suffered reduced power and noise but did not throw a check engine light.

Last edited by _Allegedly; 11-24-2021 at 07:14 AM.
Old 11-24-2021, 07:04 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 304 Likes on 171 Posts

There's no need to rev the crap outta the 3.0. Hell simple physics would suggest if there was it would be equally necessary for the lower output 2.0.

I think you experienced unfamiliarity with the platform and nothing more.

I very much doubt there's an actual dip in the torque curve in the range you say JLR claims peak.

Every vehicle I own is a little different from the next and that goes double for DBW/forced induction motors.

But I quickly adjust between them with a little experience on each.

I doubt a test drive is enough time for most of us to adjust.

Old 11-24-2021, 07:17 AM
WMN
Three Wheeling
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I was hoping that someone would chime in on the torque dip in the 3.0 from 2000-2500 I found it to be quite annoying to be honest.

the 2.0 I found to be a far smoother and more linear power plant.

not worried about the price difference. I am just concerned about driving dynamics. There is no need to go fast in a house sized vehicle imo, I would however like things to feel “effortless”.

Something about the 3.0 really didn’t sit well with me in some of the rpm range, which shocked me, as all my I6 3liter bmws didn’t have this issue and I much preferred them to the 2.0, somehow it’s a different story in the JLR engine family.
This is not the easiest site to navigate and I have no idea of the accuracy, but torque/power curves show here:

https://www.automobile-catalog.com/c...6_p6_p400.html

https://www.automobile-catalog.com/c...4_p4_p300.html

For the 3.0 looks like full torque at 1500 RPM;
At 2000 RPM for the 4.0.

Apparently, it's possible to compare the curve, haven't figured that out yet.

The following 2 users liked this post by WMN:
Kev M (11-24-2021), TrioLRowner (11-24-2021)
Old 11-24-2021, 07:43 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

The P300 is designed specifically to provide a very flat torque curve -- something which is very helpful in off-roading driving. Basically, by manipulating the turbo, JLR has made the P300 run as close as they could to a diesel (which is not offered in the U.S.). In this respect, they have been very successful, it seems.

I think the mission for the P400 is different -- likely torquey 70 to 100 MPH performance is what is desired?

Enjoy!

The following users liked this post:
Kev M (11-24-2021)

Quick Reply: 2.0 vs 3.0 Help me make up my mind.