2.0 vs 3.0 Help me make up my mind.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2021, 10:48 AM
Mudding
Received 120 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
Muppetry:

This is interesting.

Off-road, how would TR2 map the delivery of a varying torque from the engine into the transmission and then to the individual wheels, with varying engine speeds?
I still think you may be misunderstanding the meaning of the torque curve. Torque is not a single-valued function of engine speed. A flat torque curve doesn't mean that torque is invariant with engine speed - it means that maximum available torque is invariant. So unless you are on full throttle, both engines are varying the torque with demand.

My experience to date with the P300 and TR2 is that the effectiveness of TR2 is markedly better once 1500 rpms is reached. Below, this number TR2 seems to attempt to do little to optimize the distribution of the torque to the 4 wheels.
I'm not sure what might cause that perception. The engine generates torque and the transmission distributes it. Lower engine speeds obviously affect the effective gear ratio in the transmission, which might affect overall smoothness.

I think the effectiveness of TR2 has something to do with the consistent torque being delivered?
Maybe - but the torque curve tells you nothing about torque consistency.

Old 11-24-2021, 10:49 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
But your experience with TR2 is what it is because you’re driving a P300! Have you properly experienced TR2 in a P400, which is already delivering more torque than the P300 by 1500 rpm? Or considered the possibility that JLR engineers understand better than anyone the differences between their own vehicles, and if there needed to be engine-specific adjustments would have done so. You’re implying that TR2 is optimized for the P300 - and that’s most likely not the case. More likely is that TR2 is optimized for each application.
I think the ONLY difference between the P300 and P400 engines off-road is that the TR2 logic would come alive 500 rpms later in the P400. I would love to hear from some off-road P400 drivers to test that theory.

Old 11-24-2021, 10:52 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by WARWGN
I've put 3,800 miles on my 2022 p300 with 18's and recently drove a 2020 p400 with 20's for a few days while LR performed my first oil change.

Towing - Towed my 6,000 pound Grady White with no issues what so ever with the p300

Driving Feel - In my opinion the p300 on 18's is a much more luxury driving experience (the 18's have something, but not all, to do with this). The shifts are smoother and the power delivery is more linear. It appears it is a better match to the transmission. Feels a bit lighter.

Driving performance - around town, I think the p300 is more zippy. On the highway, especially trying to pass from 55/ 60 to 80, the p400 is much better.

Over all, I chose the p300 to keep my build at 65k vs 75k. After driving the p400 I don't regret the decision.
It's going to be hard to explain how a vehicle with 33% more power-to-weight and torque-to-weight ratios is in any way less zippy than the P300.

Old 11-24-2021, 10:54 AM
Mudding

I think the ONLY difference between the P300 and P400 engines off-road is that the TR2 logic would come alive 500 rpms later in the P400. I would love to hear from some off-road P400 drivers to test that theory.
Test it how? And where did the theory that the transmission only works above a certain RPM even come from? How is that measured?

Old 11-24-2021, 11:04 AM
Drifting
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Regarding lack of linearity, in the p400, doing city driving, I felt like I was pressing on the gas and there was a lag. hard to explain. Felt like I needed to slam the gas and when I did, it was jerky.

Old 11-24-2021, 11:10 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by Muppetry
Test it how? And where did the theory that the transmission only works above a certain RPM even come from? How is that measured?
TR2s off-road capabilities include individual fast braking of each wheel, coupled with use of four "clutches" in each of the two differentials to manage the effect of what is coming out of the transmission and being applied to the ground.

My learning to date of the P300 is its recovery capabilities have a minimum threshold of activity below 1250 engine rpm. The way to test it is to get stuck alot in a P400 vehicle and see how the recovery profile against rpms occurs.

Old 11-24-2021, 11:12 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 304 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by WARWGN
Regarding lack of linearity, in the p400, doing city driving, I felt like I was pressing on the gas and there was a lag. hard to explain. Felt like I needed to slam the gas and when I did, it was jerky.
This is what I was referencing earlier about sensitive throttle (and brakes). It IS powerful enough to be jerky if you mash in response to the slight forced induction lag that happens at some points.

It doesn't HAVE to be that way, but you DO need to adjust your driving style from other throttles to which you might be accustomed.

I think the surge of power that occurs when you mash it is fooling some of you guys into thinking there wasn't power before that or that you can't get power without mashing it. Both are not true in my experience.

It makes perfect sense that a weaker motor would produce less surge and therefore less jerky response to equivalent throttle inputs.

The following users liked this post:
swajames (11-24-2021)
Old 11-24-2021, 11:21 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Kev M
This is what I was referencing earlier about sensitive throttle (and brakes). It IS powerful enough to be jerky if you mash in response to the slight forced induction lag that happens at some points.

It doesn't HAVE to be that way, but you DO need to adjust your driving style from other throttles to which you might be accustomed.

I think the surge of power that occurs when you mash it is fooling some of you guys into thinking there wasn't power before that or that you can't get power without mashing it. Both are not true in my experience.

It makes perfect sense that a weaker motor would produce less surge and therefore less jerky response to equivalent throttle inputs.
Agreed - it sounds a lot like comments that I've heard often from drivers who are used to lower performance vehicles.

The following users liked this post:
swajames (11-24-2021)
Old 11-24-2021, 11:22 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by maxmk8
yea I don’t foresee daily 70-100 runs in a 5000lb brick. That’s a reckless driving charge.
As Carlin put it so well, anyone driving slower than me's an idiot and anyone driving faster's a maniac. Yet another example.

Cheers!

The following 2 users liked this post by NoGaBiker:
GavinC (11-24-2021), Kev M (11-24-2021)
Old 11-24-2021, 11:27 AM
Mudding

TR2s off-road capabilities include individual fast braking of each wheel, coupled with use of four "clutches" in each of the two differentials to manage the effect of what is coming out of the transmission and being applied to the ground.

My learning to date of the P300 is its recovery capabilities have a minimum threshold of activity below 1250 engine rpm. The way to test it is to get stuck alot in a P400 vehicle and see how the recovery profile against rpms occurs.
Are you saying that if the P300 gets stopped by an obstacle then it requires at least 1250 rpm to get itself out? If so that's not very surprising - at 1250 rpm it's only generating around 50 ft lbs. It's barely above idling.

Quick Reply: 2.0 vs 3.0 Help me make up my mind.