Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.0 vs 3.0 Help me make up my mind.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2021, 08:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
I have the 400 in my 2021 and find it to be powerful, smooth and responsive. It's a very strong engine, and there's no 2000 to 2500 RPM dip. Every once in a while, though, there is what seems to be the transmission glitch others noted where it seems to hold the lower gear a little longer than it should. This only happens with delicate throttle application. Driven normally, it doesn't manifest itself.
I also have a P400 and have felt zero lag or hesitation at any RPM range. I test drove the P300 and P400 each overnight before I bought one, and the clear winner for me at least was the 400.

Old 11-27-2021, 03:47 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 433 Likes on 202 Posts

Another worthy point to mention between the P300 & P400 is the axle gear ratio

P300 4.11
P400 3.73

There won't be much difference in crawling or steep hills.
Bigger tires need higher gear ratio, the P300 got that covered better than the P400.
Combine that ​with 220 lbs less engine weight.

​​​​​When I ordered my 90 P300 I was very keen on the overall weight, 4720 lbs / 2140 Kg ( full tank + driver),
But I did order the S spec, with Airsuspension + E-diff + Console + elec.seats, etc which add another 200 lbs / 90 Kg

Old 11-27-2021, 08:52 AM
Mudding
Received 120 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Defendit..
Another worthy point to mention between the P300 & P400 is the axle gear ratio

P300 4.11
P400 3.73

There won't be much difference in crawling or steep hills.
Bigger tires need higher gear ratio, the P300 got that covered better than the P400.
Gear ratio is not a useful comparison between engines with different outputs. Torque at the wheels is what matters.

Old 10-03-2022, 12:53 AM
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by maxmk8
Hey Everyone,

A bit of a long time lurker but not really a poster until now.

I am a bit torn on which engine to order with the Defender. I drove the P400 for about 400 miles and honestly I wasn't completely impressed. I felt like there was a bit of a deadzone in the rev-range from 2000-2500rpm before what I am assuming is the "turbo" kicks on and the supercharger kicks off. Is that normal or did I have some sort of a odd model with some sort of a fault (no CE present)

I then decided to drive a P300 for comparison sake, and I hate to say perhaps I liked it MORE than the P400?! The torque comes on earlier in the smaller motor and it doesn't seem to have the same peaky "dip" in the power band that you actually use daily.

Without question the P400 is an absolute gem above 2500 and has a more enjoyable power delivery once you're IN IT. However for daily driving... it seems like the P300 is completely adequate, yes it revs higher but the power delivery seemed smooth, and it seems like the entire vehicle is also a bit lighter on its feet?!

What's your take for those that have experience in both?
Many others will not agree with me but I wanted to share my thoughts. So please take this as a friendly comment. If you have no time then this is it.
I love Defender p300 it feels I am driving a special car even with 4 cylinder. The design, ride position, and quality... very nice. No regrets on the engine choice. I think the new Defender is one of best SUV in today's market when you consider money paid and what you get no matter which engine and trim you go with. Now if you have time then read below.

I have a 2023 P300S with 4K miles now. S trim with off-road pack and air suspension with 19s. The reason I bought this car is the name 'Defender'. It tells you everything This is a off roader! I will be using it for some off-road/road trips as well as some daily driving. GUYS u need to understand that this is a Defender not a Range Rover line ups. Even with this new monocoque body and tons of aluminum, this car will never be par with fast SUV options like x5 or cayenne. This is a heavy tall SUV even with lightest engine option 4 cylinder. So I do not understand why the engine option matters too much here. p400 0-60 is 6 seconds... 6 sec is not fast but a okay in 2023 for SUVs. If you want a fast powerful option then I will definitely go with the V8 but again why a fast Defender? Only reason I went with p300 is easier repair under the hood being a 4 cylinder especially without the complicated mild hybrid set up. I have a spare car and not intend to sell my Defender at all. I personally will never buy this car if I was looking for my main transportation hoping to put over 100,000 miles like you do on toyota/lexus. My approach was a decent off-roader without too much money spent on suspension set up for off-roading. I ended up spending good amount of money on 2020 GX460 for suspension mods but I was tired of the horrible ride quality with the lifts. So my option was the new Defender with air suspension. 300hp and torque is enough for most off-road situations.

The fact is Defender is not for fast fun driving or comfort SUV. If you want all that then I recommend a BMW or Porsche. If money matters then do not buy LR and RR products. Moreover, the mpg on this cheapest 4 cylinder p300 is not even good (16-17 mpg combined). So do not buy p300 to save money.

My experience on p300 in short. I had x5m before my p300 but I never felt p300 is under power. It is well built and packaged but it is not a fast SUV you are looking for. However, this p300 4 cylinder engine is not like other 4 bangers. It manages to pull the power you need from the low rpm so much better experience then other 4 cylinders. NO jurks that I experienced from other 4 cylinders. However, the p400 is better in all corners then p300. p400 is more powered, more comfort. and I think better with MPG (p300 uses its engine to the max on highway) The wind noise is worst of my previous cars. It is worst then my friend's G wagon. The back up camera is so dark can't see much at night. Interior is very useful but it will not be luxurious even with the carpathian edition. The design is not just meant for comfort and luxury. The rear seats are not comfort. Trunk is not big. So overall this is not a good family SUV. Also, I already experienced some issues below... So this is not a reliable option you want.

Engine stalls when in 'D' with autohold stopping at red light. The engine stalls out when I step on the accel pedal. This was horrible experience but was fixed with a software update.
Center screen goes black or freeze. This happened twice but was gone after a reset.

I think there is only two reasons buying the new Defender. Design and off-road capability. So my bottom line is as below.

If money don't matter and will not off-road then go with Carpathian edition except if you want different color options.
If you are not off-roading and want a cool look then p400 x dynamic
If you are a hard off-roader then p400 base or a JEEP WRANGLER
If you want daily and some off-road then p300S
If you want pure off-roader then p300 base (wish we had diesel option)
If you are not considering any off-road and getting Defender without off-road pack then do not buy Defender. This is not what you are looking for. You will regret your purchase for sure and I think any Defender without the off-road pack will not be attractive when you try to sell it.
If you want a reliable car then don't buy LR/RR period. I am not saying they are bad but all the line ups have too much tech. You need to go with like a 4 runner but they lack so much areas.

The following users liked this post:
MattF (10-03-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 09:10 AM
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GavinC
I got the p400 as we needed a 7 seater for when the in-laws are in town. (Rare event now with international travel difficulties) Once you pick that 7 seat option you can't go P300. Not sure why that is although I subsequently saw a 7 seater P300 S trim on my dealer's website. Didn't see car myself so it may have been an error in the spec.

If I was able, I'd have gone with the P300 18" wheels and all the same options. Would have saved a nice chunk of change too.

I'm no gear-head so doubt I'd be able to tell the difference between 300 and 400HP in a truck that's built like a brick outhouse.

I suppose the extra oomph opens up more towing options but that's about it. No long term data on reliability between the two engines. Is the gas efficiency better in the p300? I suppose it must be.

Both are equally capable off-road, far exceeding my abilities before their own limitations are ever in view.

I think in most of the world the excellent diesel options and the P300 that are the norm. Here in US and A we like our gas-guzzlers.

So I guess P400 with a large fries and a coke it is.
My 2022 build has 7 seats with the P300 S. There was no issues for me to build/order it this way. Even with 7 passengers plus a full roof box on a 800km mountainous trek, I was never left wanting for the power I needed.

Old 10-03-2022, 10:32 AM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have 6k miles on my P300 and am very pleased. There are moments when you know its underpowered but keyword her is moments and the price difference is huge. I had people test drive the car without knowing the engine size and they all thought it was a 6-cylinder.

My only comment - and this may not be related to the engine itself - is that I've noticed the transmission to be laggy especially at low speeds/low RPMs and its jumpy sometimes. I dont know if the transmission/gear shifts are related to the actual engine but something that I would argue plays a more noticeable difference as opposed to actual engine size so pay attention to that.

Old 10-03-2022, 02:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by Mochi0428
If you are a hard off-roader then p400 base or a JEEP WRANGLER

If you want pure off-roader then p300 base (wish we had diesel option)
I'm a Hard and Pure off-roader. Perhaps a P350?

The following users liked this post:
MattF (10-03-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 04:06 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Just a quick question as I too am getting ready to place an order and am mulling over the 2 engines. Well, mulling over the price difference to be more exact.

I did drive a p300 briefly around town and was surprised that I found the power to be adequate around town, no problems there but can you drive the engine at 80-90 mph on the highway without over stressing the engine?
Say like on car trips doing 80-90 all day long or is it a little much?
Thanks

Old 10-03-2022, 04:28 PM
Mudding
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Another thing to keep in mind between the 2 engines would be towing. If you're planning on towing something bigger, the P400 will definitely come in handy.

Old 10-03-2022, 05:51 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,299 Likes on 949 Posts

Originally Posted by hennystyle
My 2022 build has 7 seats with the P300 S. There was no issues for me to build/order it this way. Even with 7 passengers plus a full roof box on a 800km mountainous trek, I was never left wanting for the power I needed.
That's interesting. When I ordered mine and was on the builder in May 21, the addition of the third row immediately bumped it to an SE and the P400.

I have never doubted the P300 has more than enough ooomph for the seven seater. I spent a lot of time on the website-builder doing various trims and specs. I knew it back to front and inside out back then. It certainly made no sense to insist upon the P400 with 7 seats me other than a $$$ grab. That was certainly the way it was for me. It also automatically added the 3 zone climate as part of the family pack which I could have done without.

No dogs ride back there and I couldn't care less if the third row kids are a bit too hot or cold.

I'll survive and grumble along in my P400, wondering what might've been.

Last edited by GavinC; 10-03-2022 at 05:56 PM.

Quick Reply: 2.0 vs 3.0 Help me make up my mind.