2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 Defender - Suspension Fault.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2021, 06:08 AM
Mudding
Received 157 Likes on 90 Posts

I haven't had any more suspension faults since the issue back in September. Sometimes when I would start it after it sat overnight or for a few days it would have to raise the front a bit - still not sure if that's normal functioning or not. It's pretty much all the time now that it's cold out. It still doesn't sit crooked or seem like it's fully dropped to the suspension stops, though.

Old 12-22-2021, 10:49 AM
Drifting
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by D-Fens
Sometimes when I would start it after it sat overnight or for a few days it would have to raise the front a bit - still not sure if that's normal functioning or not. It's pretty much all the time now that it's cold out. It still doesn't sit crooked or seem like it's fully dropped to the suspension stops, though.
Mine still does this occasionally even after the dealership replaced the front suspension under warranty due to it dropping.

Old 12-22-2021, 12:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 185 Likes on 109 Posts

Glad I got the coils.

Old 05-11-2022, 03:45 PM
Mudding

Just to update an old thread - I have never again had the "suspension fault" message pop up, but I felt like I was starting to notice it move the front end back up while driving (still not super often). I took it to the dealer and by a stroke of luck it happened on a drive they took it on, so they're going to replace the front air shocks.

The only real problem I have is replacement time - parts are "backordered from the UK", and expected in 4-6 weeks. Normally wouldn't matter since I can drive it fine, but I don't feel comfortable with it un-fixed if I'm going to put a few thousand miles on it driving it to the Badlands and especially off-road in the Badlands. I have no idea if it can be expedited more than it is, but that puts it close to when I plan to leave.

Knew I should have gone with coils...

The following users liked this post:
StarDust (08-31-2023)
Old 05-12-2022, 06:18 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 644 Likes on 212 Posts

Our local dealer is booked out a month! This even includes emergency failures. One of my friends had a catastrophic rear shock failure and was told they cant even look at it for a month. It is now extremely inconvenient to have a Land Rover repaired under warranty in our area. Not to mention, the shocks are on back order. Between staffing issues and parts issues, this is unfortunately the new normal for a while.

D-Fens (05-12-2022)
Old 05-12-2022, 07:12 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by sarek
Our local dealer is booked out a month! This even includes emergency failures. One of my friends had a catastrophic rear shock failure and was told they cant even look at it for a month. It is now extremely inconvenient to have a Land Rover repaired under warranty in our area. Not to mention, the shocks are on back order. Between staffing issues and parts issues, this is unfortunately the new normal for a while.
I must have gotten lucky - called last week and they said May 18th if I wanted a loaner, or drop it off and they can work on it sooner. I didn't need a loaner so I dropped it Sunday and could have gotten it back Tuesday, and even that was delay for them trying to replicate the issue. We do have 4 dealerships in the immediate area, though (one is just two locations I guess, but...). I'd buy new shocks from a third party and hand them over for install, but they're a touch pricey.

Old 05-12-2022, 08:35 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

I think I know the answer, but what's the impact to the warranty term? The warranty is only 24 mos. What happens if your Defender is grounded for 1-2 mos as you wait for warranty work? Does that push out the warranty? I doubt it, but you likely know where my emotions go re: that.

ficklma1 (10-25-2022)
Old 05-12-2022, 01:32 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
I think I know the answer, but what's the impact to the warranty term? The warranty is only 24 mos. What happens if your Defender is grounded for 1-2 mos as you wait for warranty work? Does that push out the warranty? I doubt it, but you likely know where my emotions go re: that.
For me, I'd probably lemon law a new car that was grounded for that long, but mine is back with me because the issue was caught early and things are "fine". For others, I doubt you'd get much but if you could lemon law it, they might be willing to work with you to keep from going that way. I had an Escape that blew an engine and it was down for two weeks - all I got was a 2-year warranty on the engine (which would put it past the original warranty), and I didn't even get a loaner for the first week.

MattF (05-12-2022)
Old 05-12-2022, 01:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,403 Likes on 689 Posts

I blew an engine on my 2014 Wrangler with 15,000 miles/2 years old. In Moab. Pure coincidence that it blew there, but I was afraid Jeep might have some sort of unwritten “no matter what it is, if it happens in Moab we won’t cover it” policy.

Anyway, they flatbedded it to Grand Junction, rented me a Dodge Journey (not really their fault — it was the best car that day at Enterprise, the only rental joint in Moab) and shipped the Jeep 1700 miles back to Atlanta a month later with a new long-block. While I’m not a fan of engines dropping a valve seal and punching a hole in the block at the 15k mark, I will say the treatment of me was right.

Oh, and this look says it all. LITERALLY the only day my wife has ever been off-roading with me, before or since. What are the odds? The entire trail we did that day was about as difficult as what you see right there.

Fortunately this crew in a TJ came along after an hour of sitting and pulled us back to the trailhead, where the flatbed we’d called (after I hiked a half-mile to the top of a rise to make a call) showed up just as we pulled in.

Last edited by NoGaBiker; 05-12-2022 at 01:57 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by NoGaBiker:
D-Fens (05-12-2022), GrouseK9 (05-12-2022), MattF (05-12-2022)