Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2021 Defender factory order timeline reporting

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 01:51 AM
Mudding
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by RedAustinIX
Here's my update... Build started a few days earlier (4/27.. originally it was 4/30). Delivery date is 6/25, and Accepted delivery is 7/2. I also received my VIN. I tried looking it up in topix as mentioned above, but there didn't seem to be much detail. Perhaps it takes a few days for this area to be populated? All it shows is the year and model. There's a bunch of stuff for "campaigns", which appear to be warranty-related stuff.

Has anyone else been able to see more details about their config? I'd really like to confirm a few things (are the seats full leather) and also whether premium LEDs were added (the MY2022 configurator forces you to get them... perhaps for auto leveling with air suspension?).
I ordered mine on 4/17/21 and was told it would be here on 8/8/21. You ordered yours after me and yours will be here a month before mine. How is that possible? It's been 17 days since I place the order and haven't had an update since.

Old 05-04-2021, 06:36 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,403 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by clubguy
I ordered mine on 4/17/21 and was told it would be here on 8/8/21. You ordered yours after me and yours will be here a month before mine. How is that possible? It's been 17 days since I place the order and haven't had an update since.
Huh? You must have misread. His “build” started on 4/27. He didn’t say when he ordered, but it was likely in early-mid March. I ordered on 3/25, my build is scheduled for this Friday (5/7) and delivery is scheduled for 7/2.

The following users liked this post:
drcoop (05-04-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 07:40 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 132 Likes on 63 Posts

clubguy, NoGaBiker -- yes, I ordered much earlier. I placed my original order around the end of January. This was around the time that JLR was deciding to flip MY21 to MY22. My order sat, and then was finalized (as a MY2022) 3/4/21. My last order change date was 3/28.

Old 05-04-2021, 11:28 AM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by clubguy
The ordering system does not seem to be as easy as first in first out. There are dealer allocation allotments that can place you relatively ahead or behind. Some people get switched into existing orders that were ordered by the dealer to be retail sale (vehicle to be sold off the lot). Delivery times can vary by several weeks depending on your delivery location.

If it makes you feel better I placed my order on 2/5/21 along with a 5k deposit and my eta right now is not till 9/5/21.

Last edited by Moretti; 05-04-2021 at 12:30 PM. Reason: added location after delivery
Old 05-04-2021, 12:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 238 Likes on 97 Posts
Default well put

Originally Posted by Moretti
The ordering system does not seem to be as easy as first in first out. There are dealer allocation allotments that can place you relatively ahead or behind. Some people get switched into existing orders that were ordered by the dealer to be retail sale (vehicle to be sold off the lot). Delivery times can vary by several weeks depending on your delivery.

If it makes you feel better I placed my order on 2/5/21 along with a 5k deposit and my eta right now is not till 9/5/21.
Well said, Moretti. That explanation should almost be a "sticky" at the first of this forum. It's misleading for new buyers to understand the complexities of the "allotments" that dealers have. When I showed up at my local dealer and put down a $2500 deposit on March 19th, the salesman just put my name on a generic dealer order that they had started in the pipeline in early March, change it to my specifications and then allow it to continue through the process (with build next week and supposed delivery 7/16).

Its unlike any other auto buying experience I've ever had. The fact that there is NO negotiation on price and long wait times is amazing. I guess one up-side is the difficult process will hopefully keep these Defenders a little more special and not filling every mall parking lot in the world like other brands.

The following users liked this post:
bobbyz95 (05-04-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 03:31 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by drcoop
Well said, Moretti. That explanation should almost be a "sticky" at the first of this forum. It's misleading for new buyers to understand the complexities of the "allotments" that dealers have. When I showed up at my local dealer and put down a $2500 deposit on March 19th, the salesman just put my name on a generic dealer order that they had started in the pipeline in early March, change it to my specifications and then allow it to continue through the process (with build next week and supposed delivery 7/16).

Its unlike any other auto buying experience I've ever had. The fact that there is NO negotiation on price and long wait times is amazing. I guess one up-side is the difficult process will hopefully keep these Defenders a little more special and not filling every mall parking lot in the world like other brands.
Ditto what happened to me ... the dealer already had an order in the pipeline where they could change specs till 19th of March, paid the deposit and made required changes. The car went off of the production on 26th of April as per JLRs email. Delivery was scheduled for 17th of July, looks like it’s been pushed by a week now to 23rd.

I hear any orders put in now are looking at Oct / Nov delivery schedule or later.

Old 05-04-2021, 03:44 PM
Drifting
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Update on my order:
  • Build completed 4/7
  • Due in to Baltimore port on 5/10
  • Scheduled delivery still holding at 5/28
Based on a couple of the posts I read above, I am concerned about the front undershield option which we ordered and whether that will be installed at the port and delivered with the vehicle or if the car will be delivered without it. My dealer doesn't seem to have an answer and said he would keep me posted as he gets information.

Old 05-04-2021, 03:48 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by majl
Update on my order:
  • Build completed 4/7
  • Due in to Baltimore port on 5/10
  • Scheduled delivery still holding at 5/28
Based on a couple of the posts I read above, I am concerned about the front undershield option which we ordered and whether that will be installed at the port and delivered with the vehicle or if the car will be delivered without it. My dealer doesn't seem to have an answer and said he would keep me posted as he gets information.
The order guide says that the under shield was available as of 2/25 for port install. I would imagine you are probably not going to have an issue being one of the last my21s coming in once the availability was known.

Old 05-04-2021, 03:48 PM
Mudding
Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

Just got an update from my dealer (after I added a couple of things to the build).

Original order date was 4/23 and I had a build date of 7/23, last change 6/23 and delivery estimate of 10/1.

Now the updated order is showing build date of 7/16, last change 6/16 and delivery 9/10

I caught that the dealer had "mistakenly" added $1500 of extra interior packages - so I shut that down. But made up for it by adding the Off road pack and the front undershield.

Hoping that maybe the build gets moved up a few more days to coincide with my birthday which would be cool.

Old 05-04-2021, 03:49 PM
Mudding
Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

It shows as a port install on my build sheet.

Quick Reply: 2021 Defender factory order timeline reporting