2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2021 Defender factory order timeline reporting

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2021, 02:19 PM
Drifting
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Agree with your assessment of the XS, and considering the fact that I chose Santorini black it makes even less sense not to just go for the XS based on what we know about it so far. I also want the walnut finisher which may not be an option for XS as you mentioned, along with the Oyster morzine headlining which I think may be discontinued on all MY22 models anyway, or at least all X-Dynamics and above from what I can gather. I would happily take on the few other options that come with XS that I didn't include in my original build (3rd row climate control and a couple of others) if the total price looks right.

Also, I just got the new Order sheet from the dealer today, and due to the larger screen the dates have now shifted as follows:
6/9: Last amendment possible
7/9: Build date
8/27: Delivery and Planned Handover

I really wish the Build and Price tool was up and running, because the dealer's Order sheet is not altogether clear on a few points, and I'm really thinking about asking them how it would change if I want XS instead.

Old 03-13-2021, 02:51 PM
7th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Howdy folks. New to the forum here. Just ordered a 110 P300 S and super stoked!

I placed my order last week on what I thought would be a 2021. Dealer called back and said it’ll be a 2022. With that I asked about the larger screen option. He said good news is it’s only a $140 upgrade, but bad news is it would add 2 months to the wait time so I passed. Ordering from Austin, TX

Timeline:
3/9 placed order
3/31 final day to change build
4/31 build date
6/25 arrival date

Options:
Silicon Silver
Black Roof
Folding fabric roof
18” gray 5094’s
Acorn Interior
Advanced Off-Road Pack
Clearsight Rearview
Wheel Arch Protection
Front/Rear Mudflaps
Meridian Sound System
Heated Front Seats
Fog Lights
Deep sided mats
Tow hitch

Old 03-13-2021, 05:45 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by AliP
Agree with your assessment of the XS, and considering the fact that I chose Santorini black it makes even less sense not to just go for the XS based on what we know about it so far. I also want the walnut finisher which may not be an option for XS as you mentioned, along with the Oyster morzine headlining which I think may be discontinued on all MY22 models anyway, or at least all X-Dynamics and above from what I can gather. I would happily take on the few other options that come with XS that I didn't include in my original build (3rd row climate control and a couple of others) if the total price looks right.

Also, I just got the new Order sheet from the dealer today, and due to the larger screen the dates have now shifted as follows:
6/9: Last amendment possible
7/9: Build date
8/27: Delivery and Planned Handover

I really wish the Build and Price tool was up and running, because the dealer's Order sheet is not altogether clear on a few points, and I'm really thinking about asking them how it would change if I want XS instead.
From the order guide it does not appear you can get the Oyster headlining in the XS or higher. You can get it in the HSE.

I was concerned the XS wont have the extended leather package (like the HSE). My sales rep took that question to the sales manager who said it has it. Nothing in writing that I can see so I am going into it with that understanding they might be wrong. The build guide reads as if the XS is everything the HSE is + more. That seems to be contradicted by the base price being cheaper. Anyway, like I mentioned its 4k cheaper than my equivalent HSE build. I think that is where I am going to go.

Old 03-14-2021, 09:38 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Moretti
From the order guide it does not appear you can get the Oyster headlining in the XS or higher. You can get it in the HSE.

I was concerned the XS wont have the extended leather package (like the HSE). My sales rep took that question to the sales manager who said it has it. Nothing in writing that I can see so I am going into it with that understanding they might be wrong. The build guide reads as if the XS is everything the HSE is + more. That seems to be contradicted by the base price being cheaper. Anyway, like I mentioned its 4k cheaper than my equivalent HSE build. I think that is where I am going to go.
Yes, I keep thinking that 4k difference has to mean that something must be missing from the XS that is part of the HSE.
Based on the latest build and delivery dates I was given yesterday, I now want to find out if I can just wait for the Build and Price tool to make my final build refinements there rather than trying to review the dealer's Order details sheet to make sure they got everything right.

Old 03-14-2021, 11:22 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by AliP
Yes, I keep thinking that 4k difference has to mean that something must be missing from the XS that is part of the HSE.
Based on the latest build and delivery dates I was given yesterday, I now want to find out if I can just wait for the Build and Price tool to make my final build refinements there rather than trying to review the dealer's Order details sheet to make sure they got everything right.
I was told that I cant swap out of the HSE build for my order from early February. I can only modify edits to that build. I decided to go with the XS over dropping to the S as I wanted the nicer interior and sound system options. My sales rep said they are going to swap me into an XS that they ordered once the 22 models were announced. If I wanted the S I would go to the back of the line as a completely new order. I dont understand why I couldn't modify the HSE to the XS within the same build order, since the vehicle has the same engine. It will be interesting to hear if your dealer tells you something different.

My gut tells me my dealer takes the chance to accommodate themselves ahead of me when they can. They defenders here are flying off the lot. They have several on the way that all of deposits. When I was in on Friday they had two available for sale. I sat in the HSE to get a feel of the interior and again and once I stepped out was told we could not view it any longer as it just sold.

The following users liked this post:
angelboing (03-14-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 03:46 AM
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Moretti
I dont understand why I couldn't modify the HSE to the XS within the same build order, since the vehicle has the same engine. It will be interesting to hear if your dealer tells you something different.
Moretti, wonder if dealers are being told different things in different countries? In Ireland I ordered a 110HSE p400e on 4 December 2020 which (I’m told) will now arrive in MY22 form in July. Looking at the spec changes from my order I was concerned particularly that the standard Clearsight mirror has become a paid for extra - a very retrograde move IMO. Anyway the dealer has told me that they were required to resubmit all orders and had included all my original spec. The price rise which is about €4,000 will not be passed on and the March trade-in value on my existing vehicle will be held to July. I asked for three extras - the 11.5” screen, the grey wheels and rear tow hooks. The screen is being fitted gratis (again I’m told via email), the wheels I pay for and the rear hooks only come with one of the packages so I’m managing without them. If I’d known the changes to MY22 I might have gone SE but am not too worried. More concerned to get the vehicle! Think it should be great anyway.

Old 03-15-2021, 11:12 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by dpfellows
Moretti, wonder if dealers are being told different things in different countries? In Ireland I ordered a 110HSE p400e on 4 December 2020 which (I’m told) will now arrive in MY22 form in July. Looking at the spec changes from my order I was concerned particularly that the standard Clearsight mirror has become a paid for extra - a very retrograde move IMO. Anyway the dealer has told me that they were required to resubmit all orders and had included all my original spec. The price rise which is about €4,000 will not be passed on and the March trade-in value on my existing vehicle will be held to July. I asked for three extras - the 11.5” screen, the grey wheels and rear tow hooks. The screen is being fitted gratis (again I’m told via email), the wheels I pay for and the rear hooks only come with one of the packages so I’m managing without them. If I’d known the changes to MY22 I might have gone SE but am not too worried. More concerned to get the vehicle! Think it should be great anyway.
JLR might have some variation of their operation by country, but I would guess they have to remain somewhat consistent since they are working on global scale. I think alot of the issue is the lack of transparency to the consumer, and some of the challenges that are presented by the lack of education down to the sales reps. I saw the paperwork of my order and it was edited to a 22 order and the sales rep just included everything that I had previously including the air suspension and clearsight mirror which became additional cost options in the USA for my22. He didn't ask me if I wanted the larger screen or was interested in switching to the XS model or share any info about the changes. So I am assuming that they placed an order for a 2022 HSE when they should have confirmed that was what I still wanted. I would surmise most buyers are not as picky as me, but I feel like at this price point the level of service should be top notch.

Its interesting that you got locked into your my21 price. I immediately inquired about that with my sales rep and he told me that the increases were outside their control so there was nothing that could be done about it. It would be interesting to know if there is typically a longer lead time to know when you order when the new model will come out. Someone on this forum had indicated back in January that 22 model ordering was going to start in March. My dealer said that was very unlikely and wouldn't happen till the summer time. Looking back on that interchange, I dont think that was anything more than a guess.

Old 03-16-2021, 05:18 PM
Mudding
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

I think the main issue is just that dealers are their own entities and can really tell you whatever they want, and have whatever policies they want. There are definitely differences by country, but you'd think the rules/procedures for ordering and changes to orders would be the same globally as they all get built at the same place, but you never know... The customer experience really boils down to the policies of the dealer you work with, sounds like some are just too lazy/unwilling to spend the time making/requesting changes. In your case your sales rep should have offered to go through the 22 order sheet with you like mine did and confirm any changes, but I guess he figured it wasn't worth his time. I guess you just got a little unlucky with your sales rep/dealer.

Price wise there might be local regulations that may force dealers to do this in certain countries, have a hard time imagining they would do it to keep the sale as I'm pretty sure the dealer would have to eat the price difference.

Old 03-16-2021, 08:28 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Iceman153
I think the main issue is just that dealers are their own entities and can really tell you whatever they want, and have whatever policies they want. There are definitely differences by country, but you'd think the rules/procedures for ordering and changes to orders would be the same globally as they all get built at the same place, but you never know... The customer experience really boils down to the policies of the dealer you work with, sounds like some are just too lazy/unwilling to spend the time making/requesting changes. In your case your sales rep should have offered to go through the 22 order sheet with you like mine did and confirm any changes, but I guess he figured it wasn't worth his time. I guess you just got a little unlucky with your sales rep/dealer.

Price wise there might be local regulations that may force dealers to do this in certain countries, have a hard time imagining they would do it to keep the sale as I'm pretty sure the dealer would have to eat the price difference.
I seem to be having similar difficulties with my order (US). My dealer never mentioned the larger screen when they provided the new MY22 Order details - I had to ask for it specifically.
They also did not add the clearsight mirror upgrade to my order at all - had I not known that it was dropped from the standard lineup in the X-Dynamic HSE for MY22 I am assuming that I would have found out only on receipt of the vehicle. They did add the Air Suspension pack and its new price however. They also added the Off Road pack to accommodate the center locking differential, saying that it was not actually a $0 add as shown on landroverusa.com but is actually a $1600 pack that I need to add. This was justified by them stating that Land Rover has a disclaimer at the bottom of their build site explaining there can be errors on the site.
They told me that my last amendment, build and delivery dates would be pushed out by 2 months to get the larger screen, so I sent an email suggesting that I might want to change my original X-Dynamic HSE to an XS. Also, because the Order details the dealer sent (in a scanned PDF image) contained a lot of internal JLR codes that were not entirely clear, I said that with the new later last amendment date, perhaps I could wait for the new build and price functionality to be up on the Land Rover USA website so that I would be sure to get all of the specifications I wanted in a new build. The answer to that question was if LR does not release a build option for the 22MY by the time my current amendable date has arrived then I will be locked in to move forward with the build as it is.
I would still be OK with the X-Dynamic HSE, but I am concerned about the fact that the clearsight mirror still does not appear on the order along with a few other questions that haven't been answered yet. So far, it certainly does not seem that this dealer is trying very hard to help me get what I want.

Old 03-16-2021, 10:29 PM
Mudding
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Man. I am sorry. My dealer appears to be the opposite, though I am on the MY21 train. Easy to work with, keen to help. Selling every car they get so I will pay thru’ the nose but...

Quick Reply: 2021 Defender factory order timeline reporting