2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2021 Land Rover Defender Non-Refundable Deposit

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2020, 06:25 PM
Overlanding
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in Canada and they wanted and got $5k deposit three months in advance. But It was refundable as they didn't get a large allotment and would be able to sell what they got. When it came, and I wanted to change some options that they didn't have they offered several options (including a new factory build in three months) plus a simple cancelation of the order with my deposit back. I wanted the car so I took the original options, but they seemed to be fine returning the deposit.

Old 12-20-2020, 06:44 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by MNDefender
MN. There’s currently 39 for sale. The higher spec HSE models seem to be selling quicker. They flew off the lot over the summer but inventory is piling I now.

Winter hasn’t hit us yet, no snow on the ground. I anticipate them selling better once we actually get a sizeable snow storm.

My dealership is in Madison, WI. For what it's worth, my salesman mentioned two sales to customers who road-tripped from Colorado. Regarding discounts and MSRP over invoice and hidden fees, getting exactly what I want is worth a premium to me over having to inevitably compromise for what may be available on the lot. We're well away from a mass-produced and readily available product for which we can insist on invoice only or walk. I expect to pay MSRP. But sure if you give it a few years and make an offer on a left-over 2020, you'll likely save a bundle.

Nate

Old 12-20-2020, 07:18 PM
Mudding
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by todkavonic
My dealership is in Madison, WI. For what it's worth, my salesman mentioned two sales to customers who road-tripped from Colorado. Regarding discounts and MSRP over invoice and hidden fees, getting exactly what I want is worth a premium to me over having to inevitably compromise for what may be available on the lot. We're well away from a mass-produced and readily available product for which we can insist on invoice only or walk. I expect to pay MSRP. But sure if you give it a few years and make an offer on a left-over 2020, you'll likely save a bundle.

Nate
You do make a good point about getting and paying for what you want. At these prices, what's a couple more grand?

Old 12-20-2020, 07:35 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by clubguy
You do make a good point about getting and paying for what you want. At these prices, what's a couple more grand?
Yeah, but as my mother used to say "a thousand here and a thousand there, pretty soon you're talking about real money." In other words, there needs to be a line someplace. And clearly there is or we'd all be ordering fully-loaded Defender X's and arguing about the dog ramp.

Mom also used to say "eat your soup before it clots."

I was never really sure what to make of that one.

Nate

The following 2 users liked this post by todkavonic:
BulldogDefender (03-25-2021), clubguy (12-20-2020)
Old 12-21-2020, 08:05 AM
Mudding
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Yeah, but as my mother used to say "a thousand here and a thousand there, pretty soon you're talking about real money." In other words, there needs to be a line someplace. And clearly there is or we'd all be ordering fully-loaded Defender X's and arguing about the dog ramp.

Mom also used to say "eat your soup before it clots."

I was never really sure what to make of that one.

Nate
Are we crazy for wanting this vehicle?

Old 12-21-2020, 09:41 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Land Rover of Wilmington.

Old 12-21-2020, 10:29 AM
Three Wheeling

Are we crazy for wanting this vehicle?
Short answer: yes.

Long answer:

Let's start with some assumptions: 1) Pretty much everyone's life is made more convenient by having a car. 2) New cars are safer for drivers, passengers, and pedestrians. 3) The average new car runs almost $38k, so you're in for that much at least.

Alright. We're all here because we're interested in or have purchased a new Defender. These start at $46k and run all the way to, what? $110? Most seem to land in the $70-85k range; roughly double the average new car cost. Not cheap. As defined in the assumptions, in this thought exercise we're all buying a new car. Ok, so what does one get for double the average cost? Answer: if taken in parts (doors, wheels, seats, etc), or attributes (approach angle, ground clearance, fuel economy, acceleration to 60, braking distance from 60, etc) not a damn thing that another, less expensive vehicle can't also provide. If you're a reasonable, logical, rational person, you'll stop right there, back slowly out of the Land Rover dealership, and go buy a Honda or a Subaru. You'd be happy as a clam. But for those of us who can't reliably make logical, reasonable car-buying decisions, it's not so simple. Emotions are clouding our judgement. We're stepping right over facts and data and have moved on to just loving how it looks and how it makes us feel. Has anyone ever bought an Aston Martin because they honestly thought it was a better car than a Porsche? Or purchased a Rolex because of the misbelief that it's more accurate than their phone? That's a hard no, my friend. So when one takes the Defender as a whole, as the sum of it's parts, we arrive at something unique and special which for many of us justifies the cost. Logical arguments, of which there are legion, fall on deaf ears. No doubt there's vanity and financial ability at play here too, but mostly we're running on emotion. And emotion, as anyone who's ever dated a redhead can tell you, is throwing potted plants at you cray-cray.

Nate

Last edited by todkavonic; 12-21-2020 at 10:32 AM.
The following 9 users liked this post by todkavonic:
AliP (02-20-2021), bobbyz95 (04-03-2021), catman (06-16-2021), crewcabrob (12-21-2020), DoctorofRocks (04-07-2021), Kev M (03-25-2021), Moretti (12-21-2020), swajames (07-10-2021), zzzCOUGARzzz (12-31-2020) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-21-2020, 01:41 PM
Mudding
Received 85 Likes on 57 Posts

Short answer: yes.

Long answer:

Let's start with some assumptions: 1) Pretty much everyone's life is made more convenient by having a car. 2) New cars are safer for drivers, passengers, and pedestrians. 3) The average new car runs almost $38k, so you're in for that much at least.

Alright. We're all here because we're interested in or have purchased a new Defender. These start at $46k and run all the way to, what? $110? Most seem to land in the $70-85k range; roughly double the average new car cost. Not cheap. As defined in the assumptions, in this thought exercise we're all buying a new car. Ok, so what does one get for double the average cost? Answer: if taken in parts (doors, wheels, seats, etc), or attributes (approach angle, ground clearance, fuel economy, acceleration to 60, braking distance from 60, etc) not a damn thing that another, less expensive vehicle can't also provide. If you're a reasonable, logical, rational person, you'll stop right there, back slowly out of the Land Rover dealership, and go buy a Honda or a Subaru. You'd be happy as a clam. But for those of us who can't reliably make logical, reasonable car-buying decisions, it's not so simple. Emotions are clouding our judgement. We're stepping right over facts and data and have moved on to just loving how it looks and how it makes us feel. Has anyone ever bought an Aston Martin because they honestly thought it was a better car than a Porsche? Or purchased a Rolex because of the misbelief that it's more accurate than their phone? That's a hard no, my friend. So when one takes the Defender as a whole, as the sum of it's parts, we arrive at something unique and special which for many of us justifies the cost. Logical arguments, of which there are legion, fall on deaf ears. No doubt there's vanity and financial ability at play here too, but mostly we're running on emotion. And emotion, as anyone who's ever dated a redhead can tell you, is throwing potted plants at you cray-cray.

Nate
This is my favorite post.

The following 5 users liked this post by Nick4:
AliP (02-20-2021), bobbyz95 (04-03-2021), clubguy (04-19-2021), todkavonic (12-21-2020), TrioLRowner (01-04-2021)
Old 12-21-2020, 03:00 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Find another dealer for sure - local here in Florida 1k refundable.

Has anyone ordered a 2021 Land Rover Defender and been told by their local dealer that they will place the order but you'll need to put down a non-refundable deposit of $5,000? If this is the case, there will be no negotiating with the dealer once the vehicle arrives.

Old 12-21-2020, 03:25 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

My dealer told me up front that legally they cannot hold onto your deposit if you chose to not buy, even with signed paperwork stating non-refundable deposit. It’s there to dissuade non-serious buyers. I’m not a lawyer but apparently that’s the case in MI at least. He asked for $2.5k and let me transfer it to my 2021MY when I changed my mind from getting the 2020MY I originally wanted. Hope that helps.

Has anyone ordered a 2021 Land Rover Defender and been told by their local dealer that they will place the order but you'll need to put down a non-refundable deposit of $5,000? If this is the case, there will be no negotiating with the dealer once the vehicle arrives.

Quick Reply: 2021 Land Rover Defender Non-Refundable Deposit