2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2021 Land Rover Defender Non-Refundable Deposit

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 10:48 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,252 Likes on 746 Posts

True that! If they hold the values like the 90's Defenders your in good shape. When I picked mine up they wanted me to sign a form that if I sold it within 18 mos of purchase I would give the Dealer first right of refusal. Never seen that before! I'll upload a copy if I get around to it.

Old 07-10-2021, 09:31 AM
Overlanding
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Piehler JLR in Rochester, NY wants a $2000 non-refundable deposit on a 2022 Defender S order. They did not budge when I asked that the deposit be refundable in the limited circumstance that the vehicle is not delivered before a reasonable, mutually agreed upon date. So, if supply chain issues drag the order out long past the projected delivery date in the sales contract, I either keep on waiting or lose $2000.

Old 07-10-2021, 02:02 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,252 Likes on 746 Posts

That's going to be a really tough choice. Back in February when I put my deposit down, it was just a matter of when they would get built. Now, with the entire Brand shut down, I don't know if I would do it. Don't get me wrong. Defenders in the US are now a very uncommon thing, but it all depends on how long the shut down is. First off, most sales consultants are on commissions. No vehicles to sell, no commissions. Next up, Dealers make most of their margin on Service & Parts, but there's a huge cash flow from selling new vehicles. That's shut off. I suspect it will be lean times for some dealers with no vehicles to sell. If I was confident in the future viability of the Dealer, I'd probably put the money down.

Old 07-10-2021, 07:10 PM
Overlanding
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I foresee the possibility of even more delays and supplier shortages in the near term future. If the dealer won’t agree to a reasonable date beyond which I can opt to cancel the contract and have my deposit refunded if the truck has not been delivered, then I will not order from them. And I doubt they will do so. Their sales team has been an unpleasant combination of unresponsive and inattentive in response to my multiple, polite inquiries. I suspect it is because they have many more more customers than available cars/allocated build slots.

Old 07-13-2021, 04:48 PM
Mudding
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by drk63
I foresee the possibility of even more delays and supplier shortages in the near term future. If the dealer won’t agree to a reasonable date beyond which I can opt to cancel the contract and have my deposit refunded if the truck has not been delivered, then I will not order from them. And I doubt they will do so. Their sales team has been an unpleasant combination of unresponsive and inattentive in response to my multiple, polite inquiries. I suspect it is because they have many more more customers than available cars/allocated build slots.
Mine was scheduled to arrive on August 8th, but now has been delayed to August 20th because it is not a ship yet. No other info has been provided.

Old 07-27-2021, 09:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 185 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by clubguy
Tell me wise one....how is that possible?
It's a state law here in Ohio.

Old 07-27-2021, 09:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 195 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Royalist
It's a state law here in Ohio.
Same here in California. Dealer has to refund deposit if buyer abandons the allocation.

Old 07-27-2021, 09:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 195 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
That's going to be a really tough choice. Back in February when I put my deposit down, it was just a matter of when they would get built. Now, with the entire Brand shut down, I don't know if I would do it. Don't get me wrong. Defenders in the US are now a very uncommon thing, but it all depends on how long the shut down is. First off, most sales consultants are on commissions. No vehicles to sell, no commissions. Next up, Dealers make most of their margin on Service & Parts, but there's a huge cash flow from selling new vehicles. That's shut off. I suspect it will be lean times for some dealers with no vehicles to sell. If I was confident in the future viability of the Dealer, I'd probably put the money down.
Why is the brand shut down? Isn’t it summer break in the EU?

The following users liked this post:
clubguy (07-27-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 06:18 AM
Mudding
Received 147 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Laszlo
Why is the brand shut down? Isn’t it summer break in the EU?
JLR shut down the factory that makes Defenders at the end of June due to supply shortages (particularly chips/semi conductor shortages). It was shut down pretty much all July, with no word when it would fully reopen.

Anecdotally, my dealer is saying they can’t even submit a new order until early/mid August

Old 07-28-2021, 06:58 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

I just called the Nitra plant directly and asked, they said about 2 weeks before they restart production.

​​​

The following 3 users liked this post by _Allegedly:
Ahparke (07-28-2021), Mcdooogs (07-28-2021), TheFatArmadillo (07-28-2021)

Quick Reply: 2021 Land Rover Defender Non-Refundable Deposit