Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2022 Defender orders taking place now

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2021, 11:30 AM
Drifting
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by drcoop
Took delivery yesterday after a week in the shop fixing a factory defect in the rear A/C (third zone climate) evaporator. Dealer did a thorough job and vehicle was pristine for delivery.

I know its only been 24 hours, but my initial impressions:
-most amazing mechanical marvel I've ever driven! Its smooth, responsive, but still feels big and solid like a Defender should. Its a BIG vehicle... photos just don't represent its true size.

-One thing I never read about was how quiet the P400 starts up and runs. Its almost like the gentle start up that you get when the MHEV kicks in and you take back off from a stop. There's no loud punch from a traditional starter motor like every other vehicle I've driven. Its like it just quietly fades from stopped to running. And so far, no auto start/stop... but the AC is running in 90 plus degree weather and I've heard it won't engage in hot weather. I'm fine if it NEVER works...

-The throttle is smooth, as gradual as you want it to be, but packs a punch if you give it a little more! So far with limited experience, mine seems to be mapped properly with none of the issues reported by Steven Firth on YouTube.

-The large 11.4" screen is beautiful, bright, as responsive as I need (honestly very snappy and no lag that I can tell). I'm a big Apple fan, and love CarPlay, but I have to say that JLR's implementation of the Pivi Pro software and user interface is classy and may keep me using it more than CarPlay. The tech is overall incredible and I've a long way to tinkering with all of it.

- I have no notable A pillar noise at my max highway speed so far of 75mph. At that speed I hear a little mild wind-noise from my expedition roof rack, but its not a problem at all. I have been rocking a Baja rack on my LR4 for years and it was much louder!

- They upgraded my seats to full leather (as discussed on previous threads) and they are firm yet really comfortable.

-After reading the forums, I did hook up a battery charger overnight last night in the garage to make sure it was topped off. The smart charger did measure the battery to be only 50% charged when I hooked it up, then proceeded to charge it up.

-I did the seatbelt "turn off" chime trick, as described by @umbertob which is nice! That chime drives me crazy when just piddling around off road or short trips. Yes, I wear my seatbelt, 99% of the time!

- The InControl app on my phone is smooth and works without a hitch. Cool to be able to export all your "journeys" to a file for tax and expense tracking.

-My activity key (purchased from a user on FB) has been programmed to the vehicle (dealer didn't charge to do it for me!), and works great! Its a little more fragile than an "active sports key" should be, but does the job and if you hide a smart key inside the vehicle, it is disabled by the locking of the Activity key and would be useless to any thief.

More info, experiences and pics to follow. Thanks to all here for their wisdom and helping many of us to get to this point.
I've had mine for almost 3 weeks now -- just over 500 miles so far -- and I have had almost exactly the same experience as you described. Really loving my Defender and couldn't be happier about it!

Last edited by AliP; 07-07-2021 at 11:46 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by AliP:
Ahparke (07-07-2021), drcoop (07-07-2021), Jared34 (07-07-2021), John McGuinness (07-08-2021), PatriotDefender (07-07-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 12:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

As with @AliP I find myself with a great vehicle and I haven't properly put it to use!! My fault as work & life keep me out of it. After three weeks with it I just this weekend got the odometer beyond the range of one tank of gas. That's sad. But in two weeks I'm taking off time to go to Big Bend NP area and do some light off-roading out there. I'll be able to tell you how it handles an extended road trip in Namibia temps!

The following 4 users liked this post by GrouseK9:
AliP (07-08-2021), drcoop (07-07-2021), Jared34 (07-07-2021), PatriotDefender (07-08-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 01:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 132 Likes on 63 Posts

Another happy customer here! Every day I drive it I learn something interesting and new. It's very fun to drive, and playing with the air suspension at stoplights never gets old.

One "top tip" I just figured out -- the PiviPro can read music files off a USB flash drive. I bought one of these off amazon
Amazon Amazon
and now I have access to my full recorded music catalogue.

The following 5 users liked this post by RedAustinIX:
AliP (07-08-2021), drcoop (07-07-2021), GrouseK9 (07-07-2021), Jared34 (07-07-2021), PatriotDefender (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 10:52 AM
Overlanding
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Does anyone have any insights on the current build time?

I put in an order for a MY22 110 P300 S on 6/29 and as of now it showed a delivery date of about 12/17.

I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on if I could expect it sooner than that, impatient waiting on my new Defender.

Old 07-08-2021, 10:59 AM
Mudding
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by philca
Does anyone have any insights on the current build time?

I put in an order for a MY22 110 P300 S on 6/29 and as of now it showed a delivery date of about 12/17.

I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on if I could expect it sooner than that, impatient waiting on my new Defender.
I placed an order 6/14 and originally had a build date of 8/20 and delivery date of 10/29. When getting an update from the dealer, it now does not show any build date but yet the delivery date still shows 10/29
He did confirm that orders have been changing due to supply chain issues and some orders for dealers (not associated with an end-customer) have been cancelled.

Old 07-08-2021, 11:01 AM
Overlanding
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBreeze
I placed an order 6/14 and originally had a build date of 8/20 and delivery date of 10/29. When getting an update from the dealer, it now does not show any build date but yet the delivery date still shows 10/29
He did confirm that orders have been changing due to supply chain issues and some orders for dealers (not associated with an end-customer) have been cancelled.
thanks for the information.

Seems like they're definitely reflecting some supply chain issues if a difference of 2 weeks in order times resulted in a month and a half of estimated delivery dates.

Last edited by philca; 07-08-2021 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-08-2021, 11:36 AM
Mudding
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by philca
thanks for the information.

Seems like they're definitely reflecting some supply chain issues if a difference of 2 weeks in order times resulted in a month and a half of estimated delivery dates.
No doubt. None the less, I don't have much confidence in any dates provided. Things may improve, or things may worsen. Until I know the build is on a ship, I'll just have to remain patient and skeptical of any dates/info JLR provides.

Old 07-08-2021, 11:48 AM
4wd High
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Just received some bad news that the vehicles at the port in Maryland are all sitting until at least late August because of a "safety issue". I am sure it is the light issue as I know two of the vehicles are V8s with the smoked lights. My dealer said that there are thousands being held right now until the issue is resolved.

Old 07-08-2021, 12:17 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Jared34
Just received some bad news that the vehicles at the port in Maryland are all sitting until at least late August because of a "safety issue". I am sure it is the light issue as I know two of the vehicles are V8s with the smoked lights. My dealer said that there are thousands being held right now until the issue is resolved.
Oh no. Mine got to the port in Maryland this week..

That is awful news!

Old 07-08-2021, 04:54 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Jared34
Originally Posted by Ahparke
Oh no. Mine got to the port in Maryland this week..

That is awful news!
Surprising since JLR has known about the tail light issue for a few months it seems sloppy that new builds would still have the same issue.

Quick Reply: 2022 Defender orders taking place now