2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2022 Major malfunctions

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2021, 07:20 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

My defender also turned off once while waiting at a stop light. Fortunately it started up like normal but it was a bit of surprise. I cant fathom being stuck on the highway.....Sorry you had to go through that

Old 10-26-2021, 07:43 PM
Overlanding
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Seriously, I'm like sick to my stomach.

Old 10-26-2021, 08:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by Dndicicco
A little ominous of a thread of course, however, we know we’re like flies to the fire online - skews heavily negative. I’ve had my 110 22 (v8) for about two weeks and absolutely adore it. I’m getting some noise in the trunk/cargo area, which has been reported and maybe the dealer will come up with a fix but otherwise leagues beyond what I had ever imagined.
Dndicicco:

How would you compare / contrast the driving of you Defender V8 with your 2013 LR4?

Old 10-26-2021, 09:56 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,403 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by Moretti
My defender also turned off once while waiting at a stop light. Fortunately it started up like normal but it was a bit of surprise.
Did it start back up as soon as you let your foot off the brake?

Old 10-26-2021, 10:02 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Did it start back up as soon as you let your foot off the brake?

It did not. All of the electronics flashed. The engine was already off due to the auto start/stop system. I hit start button again and it turned back on. Since there was no noise as the engine had already been disengaged had I not been looking at the dash I probably would not have understood what happened if I tried to accelerate.

Old 10-27-2021, 01:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 262 Likes on 138 Posts

I have had a pleasurable experience with my MY20 110S P300. The first issue was the leak in the front air springs, corrected by replacing the air strut. The second was two of the clips that hold the passenger window assembly snapped. It was fixed, took a month to get the part but it was fixed. And finally, was a brake malfunction but that was all my fault. I was on a ferry going to visit a client and I was loaded on the upper deck but on the steep downhill ramp part. When it was time to exit the ferry, I started the Defender up, put the car in drive, and placed my foot on the brake. There was a long delay and unbeknownst to me, the car placed the emergency brake on. i think back, I should have realized as there was feedback given to me in the rear pedal. At the same time my dash lights up like a xmas tree with multiple warnings from ABS, traction control, and everything else. All the brake warnings are lit up on top of all the other warnings. It's my turn, I step on the gas and I go nowhere fast. Everyone is flipping out around me because they need to get the ferry loaded up. I put the car in park and then drive again. I step on the gas and nothing. Finally, I reach down and try the emergency brake, pop, and the car moves. The brakes than have zero feel to them. You don't get any feedback and it feels like you won't stop. I pull into a parking lot and try several different things with no luck. Finally, I think that the calipers must be stuck. So I put the car in reverse. floor it and slam my foot on the pedal. I then put it in drive and do the same thing. Sure enough, the brakes release, and the dash clears all faults. My only complaint would be let me determine when I need to put the emergency brake on.

Old 10-27-2021, 01:54 PM
Drifting
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I also have a 2022 110 S and have had issues with the a power off at a traffic light a few times - I found that is you cycle off and on the Auto Start/Stop button it seemed to fix the issue - strange I know, but it worked for me. At the time I was on a road trip through TX and following a fill up, the key fob would not be recognized and had to place it under the steering column to start up again - once I cycled the Auto Start/Stop button, that was also fixed. By habit not, I just turn off the Auto Start/Stop feature and have not had a problem with the key fob or the power off at a stop light anymore. I hope this is helpful.

Old 10-27-2021, 09:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,507 Likes on 1,018 Posts

Originally Posted by GavinC
My 2022 110 SE failed on Saturday. Stranded us on the side of the highway after a complete electrical failure. Scary stuff sitting on the fast lane shoulder of a 70mph freeway in the torrential rain with the wife and kids in the back.

1300 miles and 3 weeks of driving in a new car and this happens. SMH

Got AAA tow to the dealership and there she sits. No idea for how long. I'm not hopeful. They don't seem too rushed to get me any information on this failure of a brand spanking new car. Decidedly unimpressed but what you gonna do?

I guess this is the joy of Land Rover ownership I'd heard so much about. Didn't expect this. I miss my never-fail 8 yr old Acura I tell you hwut.

For those keeping score. Broken alternator. Part should be here Friday. Hopefully I'll have the 110 back soon.

The following users liked this post:
_Allegedly (10-28-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 11:33 AM
Mudding
Received 270 Likes on 108 Posts

I’m not sure you could call this “major” but:
Dead battery one day after pickup even though the dealer assured me the battery was fully charged.
Took two days to fully charge using a “Battery Tender”.
No problems since.

Old 10-28-2021, 12:39 PM
Mudding
Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts

From a long time Land Rover owner, (Discovery/Defender 90/110 NAS), I have always told people you have to love a land Rover to own a Land Rover - because it will have maintenance issues (mainly leaks). But for the new Defender, realize 80% of forum users come there to solve an issue, and 100% of forum users come to this thread for issues. Considering over 15K were sold as of the first quarter, this is an extremely small sampling.

The following users liked this post:
AustralianIdoma (11-29-2021)

Quick Reply: 2022 Major malfunctions