2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2023 30th Anniversary Edition?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2022, 07:01 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,408 Likes on 711 Posts

I feel like they put a lot more effort into the 70th anniversary edition than the 30th anniversary edition.

https://www.landrover.com/explore-la...efenderv8.html

At least it's $160,000 less.

Old 05-07-2022, 07:15 AM
Drifting
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

thanks for the detailed reply!

the build sheet i have matches your sticker, but there are some explicit bits in there that are nice surprises. the 360 camera and the driver aids among them.

wrt the seats, if you can snap a pic that would be amazing. it seems to maintain there are textile bits, so i'd love to know more. i actually was hoping for cloth if you can believe that.

also curious if there are climate controls in the back, or at least power outlets?

my comment on the drivetrain was more of a worry that -- if corners were cut for other things due to availability, perhaps that terrain response is less complete than we'd like?

it's super ironic to me that despite being a parts bin truck, it's still probably the closest thing ive seen in the flesh to the spirit of the original, so despite feeling somewhat icky about the manner in which these are being sold, it's still so compelling. i guess many folks around here feel that way tho.

thanks again.

The following users liked this post:
wkcwkc (05-07-2022)
Old 05-07-2022, 08:16 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,256 Likes on 747 Posts

@_Allegedly - Is that for real?? Or is it just the same as others are doing: get a vintage/beater and totally rebuild it with parts but reuse the VIN plate?

Old 05-07-2022, 09:17 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,345 Likes on 963 Posts

I didn't realize it had all the extra features like the cold climate pack. Seems more like SE level trim rather than S.

Looks to be a great build.

Old 05-07-2022, 09:30 AM
Mudding
Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts

Having owned the original version, this has far less appeal (to me), but much more luxurious (negative to me), but considering the originals are going for $150k-$250k, quite a bargain

Old 05-07-2022, 10:38 AM
Overlanding
Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by skeptical
thanks for the detailed reply!

the build sheet i have matches your sticker, but there are some explicit bits in there that are nice surprises. the 360 camera and the driver aids among them.

wrt the seats, if you can snap a pic that would be amazing. it seems to maintain there are textile bits, so i'd love to know more. i actually was hoping for cloth if you can believe that.

also curious if there are climate controls in the back, or at least power outlets?

my comment on the drivetrain was more of a worry that -- if corners were cut for other things due to availability, perhaps that terrain response is less complete than we'd like?

it's super ironic to me that despite being a parts bin truck, it's still probably the closest thing ive seen in the flesh to the spirit of the original, so despite feeling somewhat icky about the manner in which these are being sold, it's still so compelling. i guess many folks around here feel that way tho.

thanks again.
Some interior pics attached, hope that helps! I can get more if needed. I do not see any fabric anywhere, they appear to me to be grained leather. Sadly, the only unique badge is the one on the tailgate, however at least it's metal haha. The are 12V and 120V outlets in the cargo area which is great. Is the material on the center armrest and door panels considered Robustec? I have not seen it before, forgive my ignorance.

The following 5 users liked this post by wkcwkc:
catman (05-10-2022), GrouseK9 (05-07-2022), MattEvan (05-07-2022), MattF (05-08-2022), new to landrover (05-07-2022)
Old 05-07-2022, 11:08 AM
Drifting
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

absolute. legend. those additional pics are super helpful, thanks for posting them.

how are you liking the ride compared to your last defender? any plans for it besides the rods? one other q -- i see it has the qi/wireless charging in the center console -- does it function? is there also the corresponding charge point in the passenger shelf area in front of the cross member?

wonder if the dealer will fit the two 12v outlets on the outboard blanks of the center console for rear passengers...

Old 05-07-2022, 11:11 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
@_Allegedly - Is that for real?? Or is it just the same as others are doing: get a vintage/beater and totally rebuild it with parts but reuse the VIN plate?
It's a full factory resto-mod under their Works division. If my memory is good, they had space leased for a center in Atlanta where they were going to turn out classic Jags and I think Land Rovers as well. They ended up backing out.

They really do turn out some stunning cars.

https://www.jaguar.com/about-jaguar/...sic/index.html

Old 05-07-2022, 11:22 AM
Mudding
Received 108 Likes on 56 Posts

Can you snap a picture of the back the driver and passenger seats please?

I’m curious if the 23s have the in-seat USB power and click n go adapters as the S models have had previously.

Old 05-07-2022, 11:22 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
It's a full factory resto-mod under their Works division. If my memory is good, they had space leased for a center in Atlanta where they were going to turn out classic Jags and I think Land Rovers as well. They ended up backing out.

They really do turn out some stunning cars.

https://www.jaguar.com/about-jaguar/...sic/index.html

6 out of 10 on the memory. It was Savannah. Damn shame it didn't happen.

https://www.motor1.com/news/263337/j...ility-usa/amp/

Quick Reply: 2023 30th Anniversary Edition?