2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3.2.0a. New Update

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2022, 10:38 AM
Mudding
Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

Is there a fix in the works to set "eco" mode as default rather than having to choose it every time you start the vehicle?

Old 04-06-2022, 11:08 AM
Mudding
Received 310 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by DoctorofRocks
Is there a fix in the works to set "eco" mode as default rather than having to choose it every time you start the vehicle?
It doesn't default to eco-mode because that was the consensus preference by American customers. Land Rover customers in the US have made very clear in person, via phone (and in strongly worded emails) that they want us to get rid of start-stop and that eco modes are not needed on this type of vehicle. It's a different story in other countries, but the US market has been pretty united about this. That said, we can certainly have a conversation about permanent manual eco default.

The following users liked this post:
markjlr (04-28-2022)
Old 04-06-2022, 11:23 AM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by The Insider
It doesn't default to eco-mode because that was the consensus preference by American customers. Land Rover customers in the US have made very clear in person, via phone (and in strongly worded emails) that they want us to get rid of start-stop and that eco modes are not needed on this type of vehicle. It's a different story in other countries, but the US market has been pretty united about this. That said, we can certainly have a conversation about permanent manual eco default.
IMO having the options not reset when restarting the vehicle seems the most logical solution. If someone does not want ECO mode or auto/start to engage, they can simply turn them off and then not have them automatically re-engage when they start the vehicle up the next time.

That then appeases whichever side you are on.

Right now for my defender auto/stop start seems to automatically engage after restart (personally no issues with that) but eco mode would not be automatically selected even if last used. FWIW I have not found a better MPG with ECO vs comfort mode. I probably would have left it in eco if I did not have to change it every time I started driving.

The following 2 users liked this post by Moretti:
mdgs (09-07-2022), webops (04-26-2022)
Old 04-06-2022, 11:47 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

@DoctorofRocks - If you're a vote for Eco, then I'll be a vote against!<g> Not against you or anything like that, just that I would despise it as much as I do the Auto engine stop. There's some times I want them, but usually not. BETTER YET, I think we can both agree (no one ever compromises anymore...) that why don't we let the option for Comfort vs. Eco and AutoStop on vs. off be a CUSTOMER driven choice as a menu option. Then the CUSTOMER can select rather than having a one size fits all.

If I had a vote, I'd rather not vote for one or the other; ons vs off; but when there are major segments of differences, let the Customer configure it. Start either way, but give the option to reverse it.

@insider - THANKS for being on this forum and listening to customers (and I recognize we are likely not a large enough group to be statistically relevant).

Old 04-06-2022, 12:02 PM
Mudding
Received 310 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
@DoctorofRocks - If you're a vote for Eco, then I'll be a vote against!<g> Not against you or anything like that, just that I would despise it as much as I do the Auto engine stop. There's some times I want them, but usually not. BETTER YET, I think we can both agree (no one ever compromises anymore...) that why don't we let the option for Comfort vs. Eco and AutoStop on vs. off be a CUSTOMER driven choice as a menu option. Then the CUSTOMER can select rather than having a one size fits all.

If I had a vote, I'd rather not vote for one or the other; ons vs off; but when there are major segments of differences, let the Customer configure it. Start either way, but give the option to reverse it.

@insider - THANKS for being on this forum and listening to customers (and I recognize we are likely not a large enough group to be statistically relevant).
Just as an FYI- we would have gotten rid of stop/start years ago if we had the choice. Unfortunately, the way things work with emissions and government rules we are forced us to keep it or we leave ourselves subject to the loss of a great deal of money. To be honest, it was never really pushed by the industry as much as it was by government officials around the world. The savings are quite minimal and it's about emissions and idling, etc etc.

On the plus side, for those of you who turn it off daily- you will be rewarded with a starter motor that will last an incredible amount of time. The are quite durable!

The following 6 users liked this post by The Insider:
Craig_RRS2013 (04-07-2022), Elektrapops (04-09-2022), GrouseK9 (04-06-2022), Kev M (04-25-2022), mdgs (09-07-2022), mopadzi (04-07-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-06-2022, 12:05 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,403 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9

I agree with all you say, but I've read (and it makes sense) that manufacturers only get the official MPG ratings the EPA records with Start/Stop engaged if Start/Stop is the default function of the vehicle. As you can imagine, EVERY PERSON who owns a 911/Cayman/Boxster hates having it engage automatically, and that's been the case since that feature debuted in 2016, so it makes sense that Porsche feels it's necessary for MPG ratings reasons. Perhaps emissions reasons also -- seems I've read that somewhere.

Thankfully, the GT Division cars (GT2, GT3, GT4) still don't have it, as those are tiny volume cars compared to total Porsche output and are tested as separate models.

Last edited by NoGaBiker; 04-06-2022 at 12:07 PM.
GrouseK9 (04-06-2022)
Old 04-06-2022, 12:35 PM
Mudding
Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

I guess I wasn't clear in my first post - all I would like is the ability / choice somewhere in a deep menu to have *my* vehicle default to eco rather than comfort. I have noticed a fairly significant increase in mpg and drivability (more suited to my driving style).

I get that most people don't want this for themselves, but as its a simple software thing it would be very nice to have that option. Same for auto stop if some people don't like it.

So (surprisingly) I agree 100% with GrouseK9 - make all of these options selectable AND have them persist from trip to trip. That's all I'm asking for.

GrouseK9 (04-06-2022)
Old 04-06-2022, 01:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Software version am I running

Can't seem to get the system to tell me whether I have the latest update. Anyone see this before? no version or details. Dealer says that is "normal" Not buying it.

Old 04-06-2022, 05:31 PM
5th Gear
Default Crap is going wrong after update

So yea last night I got that update push. Scheduled it for 11PM last night. Got in the car this morning and "Emergency Brake system and lane assist not recognized"...something like that. And then the engine light came on too. Car is drivable. After about 15 minutes of driving, the update pushed through again. Maybe the update didnt even go through. So during lunch as the car was parked outside with nothing obstructing the sky, I agreed to the update. Windows closed, car off, and locked. Got back in and same thing. Nothing has updated. Engine light still on along with messages about the emergency braking and lane assist.

Any thoughts? Car has 300 miles on it. Thing that really sucks is that my first 2022 defender broke down the 2nd day I got it. Had to get towed. Dealer didnt know what was wrong with it and got me a new one three months later. They bought the X back and swapped it for a new one. Frustrating...........Why do we keep getting these cars? Lol
HELP

Old 04-06-2022, 08:20 PM
5th Gear

Yup...broke down. Had to get it towed...and the tow truck driver was caught on camera hitting the bumper and denting it too when dropping it off at the dealer. Nightmare.

Anyway - service picking it up on Tuesday. Really cool experience.

Quick Reply: 3.2.0a. New Update