Sponsored by:

90 - Winch and primary off road usage

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2021, 09:16 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 78 Likes on 29 Posts
Default 90 - Winch and primary off road usage

Hello all.

We're moving to the Colorado mountains (Breck) at some point this year and need to get a vehicle to replace my wife's SUV. I currently own a Land Cruiser that we'll keep and use it for longer road trips and some trails. I'm not modifying the LC since I love how it eats up interstate miles.

So, I'm really trying to determine if I want a Rubi or a 90 Defender. Don't want to start an ugly Jeep/Defender debate. Just giving background info.

The Defender will be used for very short trips to town and on trails. That's it. But some of the trails may be 2-3 hours from our place. That's why I would like get a Defender - comfort. I've searched and cannot find a lot of folks who install winches, skid plates and rock rails for the Defender. At the very least I want a winch essentially from day one. It'll mainly just be me and my wife on the trails, so I need a way to help out if I get in over my head. Will dealers add these accessories (if they even exist) or do I need to find an independent shop? With the Jeep everything is simpler.

Old 03-19-2021, 08:49 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 697 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by foggy
Hello all.

We're moving to the Colorado mountains (Breck) at some point this year and need to get a vehicle to replace my wife's SUV. I currently own a Land Cruiser that we'll keep and use it for longer road trips and some trails. I'm not modifying the LC since I love how it eats up interstate miles.

So, I'm really trying to determine if I want a Rubi or a 90 Defender. Don't want to start an ugly Jeep/Defender debate. Just giving background info.

The Defender will be used for very short trips to town and on trails. That's it. But some of the trails may be 2-3 hours from our place. That's why I would like get a Defender - comfort. I've searched and cannot find a lot of folks who install winches, skid plates and rock rails for the Defender. At the very least I want a winch essentially from day one. It'll mainly just be me and my wife on the trails, so I need a way to help out if I get in over my head. Will dealers add these accessories (if they even exist) or do I need to find an independent shop? With the Jeep everything is simpler.
Foggy:

My P300 110 is purchased to do exactly as you note -- while working on the farm in the mud. I am patiently(?) in waiting mode to have Lucky8 design and offer a non-OEM winch design. The OEM winch is certainly NOT available in the supply required (is this a COVID delay or is it strategic? --- no one knows) -- and a person or two has noted on this site that maybe they have even stopped offering the winch? In any case, its not a suitable winch in my opinion because it is hidden (and thereby cannot be serviced easily enough to be a working tool). And it is expensive (but so is everything as compared to owning a Jeep -- that is a reality).

JLR offered the winch to our California and big city Florida friends for a few months (yes, it makes sense as a place to make the correct splash) and several installed them and they placed really good photos and information on this site. But, my hillbilly U.S. dealer (who I like very much) is continuing to NOT be supported by JLR to even accept an order or give a delivery date. I have offered them money to hold a spot and they will not take it. They are left fully in the dark, unfortunately.

Powerfuluk.com is the best global resource for more information --- which would include their landmark 5 part series on how to install the OEM winch. I bought the front smash guard from them.

I have both the Lucky8 rock sliders (which I believe will work superbly) and the OEM front smash guard waiting in the basement for Spring -- and also waiting for the winch, so I don't have to remove the front bumper more than once.

Once the Lucky8 winch exists, I and others are hoping the fuel tank armor soon follows.

As a note, for the LR3 and LR4, the aftermarket suppliers required a few years to figure out the demand and how to integrate suitable off-road accessories. But, now all exists for those two vehicles. One supposes a similar timeframe will be necessary for the new defender, maybe?

Old 03-19-2021, 09:52 AM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

Is the defender capable enough that you don't need the winch?

Old 03-19-2021, 10:47 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 697 Likes on 405 Posts

Thanks for the question.

Respectfully, no wheeled vehicle is capable in all weather conditions to operate without a winch. No off-road transport or work vehicle has the choice to stay home in bad weather or because of less than reasonable soil conditions.

To be a Defender, it needs to be able to transport and work. The failure of JLR to not have available a winch is really putting at risk their contention that a buyer may effectively utilize the transport and off-road capabilities they have designed into the vehicle.

Best to you!

Last edited by TrioLRowner; 03-19-2021 at 11:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ADVAW8S (03-19-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 12:36 PM
Mudding
Received 138 Likes on 62 Posts

My P300 110 was purchased mainly for trail duty. If I ordered the vehicle, I would have purchased the accessories as it rolls into the price of the vehicle. But I found the exact truck I wanted and purchased it. No sunroof, steel wheels, offroad pack, locking rear diff and tow pack. Purchasing accessories now has been more difficult. Lucky8 will probably be best resource for winch.

I blew 2 tires already so upgrade tires soon after purchase. I installed the lower skid plate to expose the front tow hook earlier this week. A little fiddly but don't need to take bumper completely off.

TrioLRowner (03-19-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 06:09 PM
8th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
Foggy:

My P300 110 is purchased to do exactly as you note -- while working on the farm in the mud. I am patiently(?) in waiting mode to have Lucky8 design and offer a non-OEM winch design. The OEM winch is certainly NOT available in the supply required (is this a COVID delay or is it strategic? --- no one knows) -- and a person or two has noted on this site that maybe they have even stopped offering the winch? In any case, its not a suitable winch in my opinion because it is hidden (and thereby cannot be serviced easily enough to be a working tool). And it is expensive (but so is everything as compared to owning a Jeep -- that is a reality).

JLR offered the winch to our California and big city Florida friends for a few months (yes, it makes sense as a place to make the correct splash) and several installed them and they placed really good photos and information on this site. But, my hillbilly U.S. dealer (who I like very much) is continuing to NOT be supported by JLR to even accept an order or give a delivery date. I have offered them money to hold a spot and they will not take it. They are left fully in the dark, unfortunately.

Powerfuluk.com is the best global resource for more information --- which would include their landmark 5 part series on how to install the OEM winch. I bought the front smash guard from them.

I have both the Lucky8 rock sliders (which I believe will work superbly) and the OEM front smash guard waiting in the basement for Spring -- and also waiting for the winch, so I don't have to remove the front bumper more than once.

Once the Lucky8 winch exists, I and others are hoping the fuel tank armor soon follows.

As a note, for the LR3 and LR4, the aftermarket suppliers required a few years to figure out the demand and how to integrate suitable off-road accessories. But, now all exists for those two vehicles. One supposes a similar timeframe will be necessary for the new defender, maybe?
Try JLR West Houston they just installed a winch on a Defender last month with a aftermarket winch. Lucky 8 has a winch mount prototype that they’re testing currently they also have a full winch bumper designed that should be coming after the plain winch mount. Matzker in Germany has a winch mount along with full underbody protection ready to go but they’re shut down last I checked for covid. Reul Parts also has a winch mount for the Defender.

TrioLRowner (03-20-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 10:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 389 Likes on 316 Posts

A new D90 on 2-3 hour trails in the middle of nowhere doesn’t worry you?

Get a Rubicon for now and if you hate it trade it for a D90. Get another LC with an ARB and a Warn. You’ll get there and back.