Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accessory Pricing and Installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2023, 11:26 AM
Drifting
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Accessory Pricing and Installation

Hi Everyone, I'm working with a dealer on ordering a 110S. He is quoting me over 30% more for accessories than what is on the LR USA site. Is this normal? He hasn't even quoted me for the installation yet.

Here is an example - He wants to charge me $1121 for the Wheel Arch Protection VPLEP0380 where the LR site has them for $821 - Link here - https://accessories.landrover.com/us...protection-110

Another example - He wants to charge $1202 for the front Under-Shield VPLEP0436 $ 1202.32 where they are $914 on LR Site. Link here - https://accessories.landrover.com/us...nt-undershield

Am I missing something or is this just a profit play?

Also, are you seeing dealers honor the prices of the accessory packs (Explorer Pack, Country Pack, etc.)? And what are they typically charging for installation since it's noted on the builder that installations isn't included.

Last edited by M.C. Shirt; 01-03-2023 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-03-2023, 11:52 AM
Mudding
Received 83 Likes on 40 Posts

Not sure where you’re located but my local dealer was/is the same. I ended up ordering my Expedition Rack from the dealer in Charlotte and the ladder from another dealer in NC. Smaller items can be shipped, I had to drive up to Charlotte for the rack. Most of the parts are fairly easy to install as well if you want to save a bit of money. So my advice would be to call some of the dealers in your area for quotes.

Old 01-03-2023, 12:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,253 Likes on 672 Posts

Buy the accessories from landleaping.com (it's the online parts store for JLR Portland), their prices are awesome (lower than MSRP on accessories usually enough so that even with shipping it makes sense).

Then find a local indy shop (LR Only) to install, or as I've done, do it myself... bit scary to start ripping up your new Defender but no damage caused on mine for roof rack, mudflap install, and other accessories, and you'll save.

Otherwise if you just want it all done it'll be expensive. I decided to install my own front and rear "smaller" mudflaps (not the big classic ones) when the dealer quoted me $850 for the install. JUST LABOR.

The following users liked this post:
WTFChuck (01-03-2023)
Old 01-03-2023, 12:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 238 Likes on 97 Posts

Most accessories are pretty straight-forward for you to install (especially if you reference Powerful UK's videos on Utube). The only benefit to paying that extra dealer amount is that you'll have guaranteed warranty coverage if they do the install (one year). Otherwise, if you install yourself, they'll deny coverage if you have a problem.

I installed the OEM Integrated air compressor myself and after a year, it's reading pressures wrong. It still works well enough, just not accurate and Land Rover won't cover since it wasn't installed by the dealer. I installed an aftermarket front skid plate and OEM roof rack on my own and saved a bundle, but these relatively static items shouldn't need a warranty.

I have been able to get good prices, including shipping, and support from LRDirect.com in the UK (yes, even when shipped to the US). Good luck

Old 01-03-2023, 08:05 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer quoted me over $500.00 to install the front and rear classic style mudflats, but when they completed the installation I was only charged $340.00. Of course they also wanted to charge me for an installation kit for $110.00 since they said the kit was missing parts. Since I counted the parts before I brought the flaps into the dealer I told them your techs probably lost them. The dealer eventually gave in and charged me $3.00 for a couple of washers.

Old 01-03-2023, 08:24 PM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by M.C. Shirt
Hi Everyone, I'm working with a dealer on ordering a 110S. He is quoting me over 30% more for accessories than what is on the LR USA site. Is this normal? He hasn't even quoted me for the installation yet.

Here is an example - He wants to charge me $1121 for the Wheel Arch Protection VPLEP0380 where the LR site has them for $821 - Link here - https://accessories.landrover.com/us...protection-110

Another example - He wants to charge $1202 for the front Under-Shield VPLEP0436 $ 1202.32 where they are $914 on LR Site. Link here - https://accessories.landrover.com/us...nt-undershield

Am I missing something or is this just a profit play?

Also, are you seeing dealers honor the prices of the accessory packs (Explorer Pack, Country Pack, etc.)? And what are they typically charging for installation since it's noted on the builder that installations isn't included.
My understanding from my dealer are that options ordered as part of an allocation/order are not charged extra for installation (ie: stuff installed at the port). The package price INCLUDES installation. I was skeptical when I placed my order (in part from being on this forum and also from reading the small print on LR’s website) and they even gave me a written promise that it was in fact their policy. FWIW, from what I gathered the distinction is whether it’s port installed or dealership installed. If it’s installed at port, labor is included in the price. OTOH, if you purchase an add-on from parts after you’ve taken delivery and/or want to add something not on the original order, the dealership is going to charge you labor in addition to the price of the part.

As far as the extra mark-up above the package price, the dealership I purchased from does not do that. I’m guessing dealerships like that also charge ADM on their vehicles too. 👎👎

Old 01-04-2023, 08:36 AM
Drifting
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks Jiman. Do you know if you can order items a la carte to be installed at the port? For example, the front under shield is weirdly only included in the Urban Pack. Can I order include it in my order and have it installed at the port?

Old 01-04-2023, 09:45 AM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts

I think yes, as long it’s an option. I ordered the under shield, satin PPF, cold weather pack, etc… and they were all on the Defender at delivery. What was put on at the factory vs port IDK. The PPF was definitely installed at the port. IIRC, the under shield was a separate item listed as an option when I was in the build process….assuming we’re talking about the under shield that exposes the recovery hoop.

Something like the roof rack, which is not a stand alone option and only included in a package, would not be installed at port and thus require a labor charge at the dealership.

Im new to LR, so I actually don’t know anything😂…I’m just passing along what I’ve learned along the way from experience and the dealership, who up to this point are being honest with me.

ficklma1 (01-04-2023)
Old 01-04-2023, 10:30 AM
Received 177 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Jiman01
What was put on at the factory vs port IDK. The PPF was definitely installed at the port.
Satin PPF is put on at the factory.

ficklma1 (01-04-2023)
Old 01-04-2023, 11:00 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 461 Likes on 232 Posts

My arches and roof rack were done by the factory, and part of a package so no charge. The mud flaps and bumper protector (stainless piece on the top) I installed myself. Yes Land Leaping does have the best prices. I received the two bits from the factory and even my salesman said the installation prices were absurd. The bumper protector is a peel & stick, no problem, comes with a template to position it properly. The mud flaps require a bit more labor to install, aside from drilling holes in the side of the car, some dis-assembly and re-assembly are required. Land Rover has excellent online guides to guide you sept by step of the way. Just sometimes, even simple tasks can seem too complicated for, let's say, "not too terribly handy." If you can install a cabinet hinge and install a light fixture, then you can probably do it. If you have to call a handyman to do these. Then, you going to need to pay the absurd labor charges. While you might think the time they quote is unreal, at least half the time and labor for the mud flaps is in jacking the car and removing the wheels. My wife's new Evoque was an equal amount of labor for the install, since I didn't get the mud flaps as part of the deal, I bought them from Land Leaping for around 20% less. I did spend more time figuring out how to use my jack on that car and ended up making a block of laminated plywood to facilitate it.

If you're a gearhead, then none of these pose any extraordinary challenge. If not, there are independent shops that can possibly do it for less.

Since I hate U-tube videos for mech work I really prefer these actual factory instructions, since you can glance at the page while working, or even print them out.

Land Rover Defender Accessory Fitting

ficklma1 (01-04-2023)

Quick Reply: Accessory Pricing and Installation