Sponsored by:

Activating Software Features

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 02:26 PM
Mudding
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Activating Software Features

Just Noticed this on youtube :

it would appear that it is indeed possible to activate software only features, like adaptive cruise from the video (if your car has the radar, most do), and probably also things like the tow assist package and even the advanced offroad package simply with software changes. The guy didn't want to detail instructions, but in one of the comments he mentions it just involves editing some CCF (configuration) files in the car, and it can be done over the air. The video links to https://www.facebook.com/jlr.retrofits which is a company that does this and charges a fee, but I think this is something that could easily be a DIY change. Anyone heard/seen any more details around how to do this?

Old 02-24-2021, 03:17 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Message for Land Rover, in case they read this, I would gladly pay for this feature to be turned on. After an incident where the auto brake happened I figured this must be possible so I researched the buttons and came to the same conclusion in the video. LRJ offer it up as a paid feature.

Old 02-24-2021, 04:23 PM
Mudding
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by lappylaz
Message for Land Rover, in case they read this, I would gladly pay for this feature to be turned on. After an incident where the auto brake happened I figured this must be possible so I researched the buttons and came to the same conclusion in the video. LRJ offer it up as a paid feature.
It definitely feels bad spending thousands of dollars on options in your build and then realizing that they were just software config options, but I agree that JLR should allow these options to be enabled officially after delivery, as it's obviously possible, seems like a missed opportunity. I guess it runs the risk of people realizing it's just a software option which would diminish it's value to customers who think they are actually getting something physical.

I must say the prices on the options seem a little off when something that is a software toggle is a $1,200 option and something real like the clearsight rearview mirror is only $500.

Old 02-24-2021, 08:47 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't mind paying $1200 for the feature. I had it in my custom order but when a car with almost all the specifications I wanted three months ahead of build, I jumped on it before realizing it did not have adaptive cruise. I subsequently asked about adding it but no go with dealer. I also wanted HUD but not a big deal nor are full leather HSE so settled with SE. For me the deal clincher was the towing package but maybe if I had realized that was software upgrade I could have also found another car available. Anyhow the long and short of it is I would pay for OTA upgrades to add features even if its just software.

On a side note. I did learn that if you get in the car and do not press the brake but push the power Nine times it will turn off the seat belt chime while driving. Not that I recommend not wearing a seatbelt but sometimes the chime can be annoying.

The following users liked this post:
Tt22 (03-14-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 12:50 AM
Mudding
Received 108 Likes on 58 Posts

Last edited by Mark1107; 03-01-2021 at 04:10 PM. Reason: ...