Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR Disco V AEB clarification - Need help please

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 03:22 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LR Disco V AEB clarification - Need help please

Hello Friends, need help with regards to AEB on LR Disc V(Diesel, HSE Lux). I purchased this car couple of months ago and the dealer says that AEB works only when fitted with ACC(adaptive cruise control) option. Basically, AEB is dependent on ACC. I assumed AEB(autonomous emergency braking) works with FA(forward alerting) which I have it in my car. While selling the car, this was the safety feature the sales guy mentioned at length and how important it is to have. Now, the dealer is backtracking about AEB works only when fitted with ACC(another $4k option). Last week, I drove the car in close proximity of another car and the RED FA alert appeared when I came with in few feet of another car. However, there was no autonomous braking. Instead, I had to apply the brakes with force to stop the car and avoided a read ending. The AEB option is checked on my dashboard(pictures attached for review). I am also attaching few links (LR website and youtube) which mentions about the AEB and no where it mentions that AEB is dependent on ACC. Can anyone please help me understand as to how this AEB works? Majestically appreciate your help in this regard.

https://www.landrover.com/vehicles/n...y-braking.html

https://www.discoverysport.net/forum...y-braking.html

Thanks,
Rsquare

Old 10-23-2018, 06:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

Hi - where are you based? In most countries (maybe all now) AEB is a standard fitment in all Disco V models. Look from outside the car through the top of the front windscreen - if you see the stereo camera system then it's fitted for sure

It only operates between about 5 and 50mph. And it works in tandem with the warning - if collision is avoidable it gives you the warning and you can brake the car manually. If there isn't time for you to do it, the car will brake for you. Note that it's designed to massively reduce severity of an accident not to eliminate it, so I wouldn't rely on it to totally stop the car in time...

Sounds from your description that it's operating exactly as intended

Old 10-24-2018, 09:10 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by BritCars
Hi - where are you based? In most countries (maybe all now) AEB is a standard fitment in all Disco V models. Look from outside the car through the top of the front windscreen - if you see the stereo camera system then it's fitted for sure

It only operates between about 5 and 50mph. And it works in tandem with the warning - if collision is avoidable it gives you the warning and you can brake the car manually. If there isn't time for you to do it, the car will brake for you. Note that it's designed to massively reduce severity of an accident not to eliminate it, so I wouldn't rely on it to totally stop the car in time...

Sounds from your description that it's operating exactly as intended
I am based out of USA(East coast). The dealer is mentioning that the car will not apply breaks automatically just because I have AEB. The car needs to have ACC for AEB to work. Is that right? Online and LR website, no where it mentions that in order for AEB to work, ACC must be fitted with.. I want to go back to the dealer with data and mention that there is an issue with AEB on my car that needs to be fixed. My car alerted (FA) only once and didn't apply brakes automatically. Instead I had to apply the brakes manually by myself. The speed limit was around 35 when applied the brakes manually as it was too close (few feet away) to take a chance from rear ending.

Thanks,
Rsquare

Old 10-24-2018, 03:19 PM
2nd Gear

All Discovery V will have AEB in US, I believe.
At least HSE and up it will.

I have HSE with no adaptive cruise or any safety option package and AEB kicked in, braking hard until car stopped.
I was already braking from around 45 mph, and with warning sound and light, the car applied the brakes harder to complete stop.

Last edited by rlbrover; 10-24-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:24 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by rlbrover
All Discovery V will have AEB in US, I believe.
At least HSE and up it will.

I have HSE with no adaptive cruise or any safety option package and AEB kicked in, braking hard until car stopped.
I was already braking from around 45 mph, and with warning sound and light, the car applied the brakes harder to complete stop.
Hi RLBRover, thanks for the input. Did your car dashboard gave any FA(forward Alert) before AEB kicked in? What year model is your car? Is it a full size Disco V? Please let me know.
Thanks,
Rsquare

Old 10-24-2018, 03:43 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by rsquare
Hi RLBRover, thanks for the input. Did your car dashboard gave any FA(forward Alert) before AEB kicked in? What year model is your car? Is it a full size Disco V? Please let me know.
Thanks,
Rsquare
Yup it did.
I got the alert on the dash as I was braking, then soon the car started to brake harder than I was putting down on the brake pedal all the way to stop.
My car is 2018 Discovery.
By full size, you mean 7 seater? Then yes, my car has 7-seat option.

Old 10-24-2018, 05:00 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

my wife set ours up to keep a 3 car length gap. I was on the freeway and tried to speed up to make a lane change and the brakes engaged. Didn't like it.

Anyways, to test maybe you can set a larger GAP so testing is not so dangerous.

Old 10-25-2018, 11:35 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by rlbrover
Yup it did.
I got the alert on the dash as I was braking, then soon the car started to brake harder than I was putting down on the brake pedal all the way to stop.
My car is 2018 Discovery.
By full size, you mean 7 seater? Then yes, my car has 7-seat option.
Hi RlbRover, thanks for the quick response. Did you do any special settings for the AEB to work or Just enabled manually AEB on the dashboard(is it enabled by default?). I am assuming you are in USA, right?

Old 10-25-2018, 11:43 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by abran
my wife set ours up to keep a 3 car length gap. I was on the freeway and tried to speed up to make a lane change and the brakes engaged. Didn't like it.

Anyways, to test maybe you can set a larger GAP so testing is not so dangerous.
Hi Abran, thanks for the input. Is your car also the new Disco V? If so, how did you set up the distance? Please advise.

Thanks,
Rsquare

Old 10-25-2018, 11:48 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Yes it is, its in the settings. Sorry, my wife is all about that tech wizardry. Check your owners manual, its in there

Quick Reply: LR Disco V AEB clarification - Need help please