Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Disco HSE - Wifi/Data connectivity issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 08:58 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry New Disco HSE - Wifi/Data connectivity issue

I'm new to LandRoverForums and so far I haven't found an answer for my issues so I figured I'd go ahead and post here.

I have a brand new LR Discovery HSE 2018 which I finally picked up last week. I had it built to my specs with all of the entertainment/connectivity/parking/camera/cruise control bells and whistles. It all added up to the most money (by far) that I have ever spent on a car. I'm hoping that this wasn't a regrettable purchase.

Before I even left the showroom, my sales rep had to stop and reset the car because the park-assist cameras stopped working. Since then the park-assist function and cameras have been working fine. On occasion, I am unable to navigate the control panel (touch panel doesn't respond to input). This resolves with a car restart.

However, I have had no success with internet/data connections. I tried to use the InControl Data Plan through the included AT&T sim card (it comes with a free 3-month trial). When I try to set it up, the car constantly says "Reading SIM". When I try to set it up online through LR's link to AT&T, it says that "there is an issue processing my VIN number" and provides a toll-free number to AT&T. I spent nearly an hour with what I can only assume is a mentally deficient person at AT&T repeating my VIN ad nauseam and being put on hold so she could speak with "tech support". After 45 minutes she informed me that tech support was closed and to call back the next day and/or contact LR. She then asked me if she was able to resolve my issue and if I was happy with my wireless service. I hung up at that time.

The next day I spoke with my LR rep here in Tampa who put me in touch with another service rep. After discussing my issues with her and describing my experience with the AT&T rep she pretty much finished the description of my experience for me. She said that she wasn't surprised and has heard similar complaints. She stated that the connectivity issue is either an issue with the SIM card or that my Disco's software needs an update (again this is a brand new vehicle built in February). She also surprised me by suggesting that I avoid subscribing to the in-car AT&T data plan altogether in favor of my using my phone's hotspot functionality. Her reason for this was that data speeds tend to be faster with phone hotspot plans vs the in-car data plan. That's fine, and may be what I ultimately decide to do, but I want to try out the in-car data service for the free three months at least.

So, per her recommendations, I fired up my phone's hot spot and tried to the Disco via wifi. That's when I discovered that the system's wifi is unable to reliably find and connect to any wifi networks. It will search for 15-20 minutes - parked in a location with plenty of wifi networks including my phone's - before ultimately coming up with a list of available networks. Then when I select the network I want, it will never connect. Then all available networks disappear. So now wifi isn't an option either.

LR of Tampa wants me to bring it back in which is what I'm planning to do, of course. But I wanted to see if any of you have had a similar experience with these problems, and any suggestions about the resolution to this.

Old 03-29-2018, 05:46 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

- Regarding your experience with AT&T: I have a similar issue in that I can't use their online service to set up (access) my AT&T account, as "there is an issue processing my VIN number". Since I wasn't planning to purchase the AT&T plan, I didn't bother to call and reading your post, I'm glad I didn't....
- We also had an issue with the backup camera and the infotainment system freezing => we brought it in for a software update and now it's running just fine. The latest version was made available on February 18th => although your car is new, you might actually not have the latest software version. Keep in mind: uploading the software will take several hours and you'll have to leave the car at the dealership => make an appointment with a loaner.
- the WIFI problem is something I can't comment on, as ours works just fine with connectivity to the home network and cell phone hotspot. The really dumb thing is though that the car doesn't have the option to remember the password for the home wifi...

The following 2 users liked this post by BelGSX-R:
bitsy (03-08-2024), TennMan (03-29-2018)
Old 10-07-2021, 05:32 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you find a fix for this by chance? Having the same issue with a 2018 HSE we just purchased

Old 11-29-2021, 02:25 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UNCTC
Did you find a fix for this by chance? Having the same issue with a 2018 HSE we just purchased
Same issue here with a 2018 HSE we just got. I can see my home Wifi which has a strong signal in the garage, but once i put in the password, it never can connect.
Wasn't sure if there's some trick to it I'm missing. I thought i heard somewhere that the car will only work on 2.4 GHz Wifi, though my Nest router should automatically accommodate 2.4 or 5 GHz..
Very frustrating..

Old 11-30-2021, 08:13 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 209 Likes on 137 Posts

Reading through this, I would like to mention a few things:
I thought i heard somewhere that the car will only work on 2.4 GHz Wifi, though my Nest router should automatically accommodate 2.4 or 5 GHz..
Use a router that has 2.4 and 5 as totally separate bands , NOT optimized ( frequency hopping). It is a good thing you see the network, but it has to be a stable 2.4 , not "optimized" by the router. The system of WiFi that JLR has, is not that intelligent.
Even though you got an HSE, this does not mean that you actually do have the data enabled (software) even with a SIM present there. My suggestion is to open a ticket with JLR North America, confirm that indeed you have the data built in, and then try to get new service from ATT Connected car. Yes, they are mostly idiots, and they don't give a crap about your problem. They don't even understand what they really do, they just follow a script. At less than minimum wage don't expect much. They are all overseas, best ones in Costa Rica and worst it could be Argentina. No one in US. HOWEVER, at times you may get some one that is a notch above the mass there. Just be patient and don't give up. If the vehicle still have warranty, and if you have done all the steps above, I would take it back to the dealer, and have the module replaced. Insist on that. There are occasions when those modules are going bad. Best of luck to you.

Old 11-30-2021, 08:19 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mechano2020
Reading through this, I would like to mention a few things:

Use a router that has 2.4 and 5 as totally separate bands , NOT optimized ( frequency hopping). It is a good thing you see the network, but it has to be a stable 2.4 , not "optimized" by the router. The system of WiFi that JLR has, is not that intelligent.
Even though you got an HSE, this does not mean that you actually do have the data enabled (software) even with a SIM present there. My suggestion is to open a ticket with JLR North America, confirm that indeed you have the data built in, and then try to get new service from ATT Connected car. Yes, they are mostly idiots, and they don't give a crap about your problem. They don't even understand what they really do, they just follow a script. At less than minimum wage don't expect much. They are all overseas, best ones in Costa Rica and worst it could be Argentina. No one in US. HOWEVER, at times you may get some one that is a notch above the mass there. Just be patient and don't give up. If the vehicle still have warranty, and if you have done all the steps above, I would take it back to the dealer, and have the module replaced. Insist on that. There are occasions when those modules are going bad. Best of luck to you.
Thank you. I think you're right about needing a dedicated 2.4 network, as I was able to successfully connect to my iPhone hotspot and download the software update yesterday. Still strange that other 2.4G devices can connect since my home network will accept them, yet the Disco will not.

Old 11-30-2021, 05:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 209 Likes on 137 Posts

The "modems" or WiFi receivers in the LR are not that savvy ....yet.
Most of your home devices are generations ahead of our Land Rovers ( and for that matter, other connected cars).
As old as this is (WiFi in vehicles and data ) is still a novelty, compared with home devices and other gadgets. Car manufacturers don't want to spend a lot of money on connectivity if they don't have to.
Will come a day when they will have to, but that may take time.