2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adaptive Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2022 | 10:49 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by VillaDazzler
I have to agree it can be jerky, but I find changing the 'follow me' distance (number of bars) can help, as can adjusting your set speed. All part of the freeway driving experience. TBH, while I love the ACC (and LKA for that matter), I think in the long run it makes you a complacent driver.
It might, but on a 12 hour drive it also makes me less exhausted when I get to the stop. Peoples inability to maintain a constant speed on interstates is also a big source of frustration, and just letting it go and the car keeping you from running up a tailpipe helps with the stress levels.

I'm not sold on the Defender's lane keep, it seems to trigger oddly or me. I've not used it on long interstate drives though yet.

Old 11-24-2022 | 11:05 AM
|
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Trekkie
It might, but on a 12 hour drive it also makes me less exhausted when I get to the stop. Peoples inability to maintain a constant speed on interstates is also a big source of frustration, and just letting it go and the car keeping you from running up a tailpipe helps with the stress levels.

I'm not sold on the Defender's lane keep, it seems to trigger oddly or me. I've not used it on long interstate drives though yet.
Without question ACC is a great option on a vehicle. I don’t think that’s up for debate. The question is how the defender performs that feature vs other brands. Hopefully mine can be adjusted or updated. Comparing the defenders performance with ACC to BMW and Infiniti it gets a D- in my book.

Old 11-24-2022 | 01:46 PM
Three Wheeling

I had to rent a car back in 2017.
They gave me a Toyota Corolla.
A 24k dollar car.
It had ACC and it worked perfectly.
Come on LR.

Old 11-25-2022 | 10:41 AM
Three Wheeling

I love the Rover ACC. I had an S7 with it and it was good as well. I will never buy a car without adaptive cruise.

I towed a 24' trailer with a car inside across country in late October. The ACC was great, made the trip easy to do. 10-11 hours in the seat without a problem, this included significant windy days across the middle of the country and the lower Rockies.

When attached to the trailer the ACC selected (automatically!) extra distance (4 zones) which just makes sense.

Without trailer I regularly use ACC, however rarely with only 1 "zone" active.

Old 11-29-2022 | 07:11 AM
Mudding

This past summer I used it extensively on a drive from St Louis to Santa Fe. At least with the P400 it accelerates pretty hard to get back up to cruise speed when you pull out from behind a slower car - when approaching slower cars I was sure to change lanes before it engaged because of this. That said, it is a great safety feature, especially for easily distracted drivers I also have it on my Ducati Multistrada (the first to motorcycle to have it) and love it. A lot of other motorcycle manufacturers are following suit.