2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice needed for Rim offset

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2022, 09:53 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting, anyone have pics of such a setup with the "right" staggered look? I have Vossens incoming with +35 offset.

Old 02-15-2022, 08:17 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemmings4Life
Interesting, anyone have pics of such a setup with the "right" staggered look? I have Vossens incoming with +35 offset.
Most of the Urban Automotive wheel setups run 22in staggered. et35 up front and et25 in the rear. Just another data point.
https://houseofurban.co.uk/collectio...der-2020-wheel

Old 02-15-2022, 08:40 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,243 Likes on 741 Posts

@Nanozic - Out of curiosity, why is that? Is it a style thing? Ok, I'm a 20th century curmudgeon and it could be lost on me! Or, is it a performance thing? If performance, can you describe what that set up does differently? Rapidly trying to clean up my old school cobwebs and actually learn something here.

Old 02-15-2022, 09:04 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
@Nanozic - Out of curiosity, why is that? Is it a style thing? Ok, I'm a 20th century curmudgeon and it could be lost on me! Or, is it a performance thing? If performance, can you describe what that set up does differently? Rapidly trying to clean up my old school cobwebs and actually learn something here.
Originally Posted by anotherbillcat
💯 For the longest time I didn't like Defenders because the inward wheels on the rear looked weird, then I seen a proper set-up... and it was a cool, capable truck. Always impressed with how proper wheels and tires make a vehicle.
I would say in this case, purely aesthetics. As anotherbillcat mentions, the rear wheels seem to sit further into the wheel arches than the front does. So, to balance it out, you can run a lower offset in the rear than the front.

Old 02-15-2022, 09:28 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well to push out the back wheels I could also get a 10mm spacer for the 25mm offfset then?

Old 02-15-2022, 09:58 AM
Winching
Received 161 Likes on 114 Posts

technically you can but the spacer conversation is more directed at the stock wheels. every wheel that has been discussed beside the Urban is a square offset settup. same front and back. when you go aggressive on the offset the rear might sit flush with the fender but your front might like a poke a little. i am running into this but it’s not a bad look

the issue with the urban settup is that you can rotate your tires without dismounting all 4. All Terrain tires should be rotated ever 5k miles.

the ideal settup to sit flush to the fenders on the stock wheels is around +10 offset. Remember that’s based on a 8.5 width wheel. wider wheels push the extra width equally from both sides. so say going with a 9 or 9.5 wouldn’t need such a low offset anymore on an aftermarket wheel

there is differences in tire manufacture and even within the brand. if you are pushing minimal clearance be prepared that you will rub in access height or maybe in other heights. something you just have to understand and accept

Originally Posted by Lemmings4Life
Well to push out the back wheels I could also get a 10mm spacer for the 25mm offfset then?

Old 02-15-2022, 10:23 AM
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ehloo
technically you can but the spacer conversation is more directed at the stock wheels. every wheel that has been discussed beside the Urban is a square offset settup. same front and back. when you go aggressive on the offset the rear might sit flush with the fender but your front might like a poke a little. i am running into this but it’s not a bad look

the issue with the urban settup is that you can rotate your tires without dismounting all 4. All Terrain tires should be rotated ever 5k miles.

the ideal settup to sit flush to the fenders on the stock wheels is around +10 offset. Remember that’s based on a 8.5 width wheel. wider wheels push the extra width equally from both sides. so say going with a 9 or 9.5 wouldn’t need such a low offset anymore on an aftermarket wheel

there is differences in tire manufacture and even within the brand. if you are pushing minimal clearance be prepared that you will rub in access height or maybe in other heights. something you just have to understand and accept
Thanks Ehloo - good info & insight. what about the thoughts of using the stock factory 22"'s (9" rim) going to a wider 285 (from 275) and using a little larger spacer on the rear (equivelant of) - maybe +25 or +30 ? and a little lesser spacer in the front ? next question if yes... would be - And are there hub centric spacers that fit well for the 2021 Defender?

Old 02-15-2022, 11:22 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,243 Likes on 741 Posts

Doah! I knew the body tapered towards the rear, but didn't realize that the axel widths were different. Thanks for the insight. Front is .2" wider. Anyone have a reason why? Cosmetic or performance? I wouldn't imagine that the little increase would change driving/steering but I'm definitely not knowledgeable enough to know.

Old 02-15-2022, 12:16 PM
Drifting
Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Shorter rear axle... that explains the oddity! Maybe it increases off-road crawling capability. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I have 20x9 Project Kahn wheels with 35mm offset waiting for my Defender to arrive anyday now. Still debating on tire size.

I've been told spacers diminish the hub centric benefits so not inclined to use spacers if I don't have to.

Great info here, thank you.

Old 03-20-2022, 02:48 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Update: I just installed the Vossen HF2 20" +20 offset wheels with 275/55/20 Cooper tires. There is no rub on normal height, and a very slight rub on access height with full lock.
I highly recommend getting new wheels with this offset than installing spacers on stocks rims, which I had done for 1000 miles.

Quick Reply: Advice needed for Rim offset