2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is air suspension worth it if I don't plan to do much off roading?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2022, 06:02 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is air suspension worth it if I don't plan to do much off roading?

Hello all,

I am in the middle of spec'ing my defender and am wondering what the advantages of the air suspension is if I'm not planning on off roading very much or even at all. Is the ride about the same with the coils or is it much better? I also read somewhere on here that due to supply chain issues you can't even get the air suspension right now, and if this is the case then I guess the decision has been made for me.

Thanks

Old 05-29-2022, 06:50 AM
Mudding
Received 310 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Miami Man
Hello all,

I am in the middle of spec'ing my defender and am wondering what the advantages of the air suspension is if I'm not planning on off roading very much or even at all. Is the ride about the same with the coils or is it much better? I also read somewhere on here that due to supply chain issues you can't even get the air suspension right now, and if this is the case then I guess the decision has been made for me.

Thanks
Air suspension has many advantages beyond the ability to improve off-road capability. Some examples include:

-The ability to lower the vehicle to allow easier access for disabled and elderly passengers, as well as provide increased clearance for entrance into low garages.
-When towing the rear air suspension will compensate for heavy tongue weights which would normally leave a coil sprung car sagging.
-Compensation for heavy passenger/cargo loads.
-Better ride in an empty or completely full vehicle.
-Generally better at reducing vibration transfer

As for supply issues- I wouldn't be concerned. We've had a pretty steady supply of air suspension components on the assembly line and as long as you opt for the towing package and air suspension package it should be prioritized.

Hope this helps!

The following 3 users liked this post by The Insider:
Kev M (05-29-2022), mopadzi (05-30-2022), Xtabi (12-03-2022)
Old 05-29-2022, 07:03 AM
Mudding
Received 155 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by The Insider
As for supply issues- I wouldn't be concerned. We've had a pretty steady supply of air suspension components on the assembly line and as long as you opt for the towing package and air suspension package it should be prioritized.
Please send two front components to my dealership please - I'm still waiting and have a trip coming up.

In all seriousness, I love the air suspension.

Old 05-29-2022, 07:04 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 231 Likes on 141 Posts

Two things I will miss when I trade my defender in later this year are the air suspension and the heated windshield. IMO the air suspension is worth it. Also if I had to do it over again I'd option in the best seats too.

Old 05-29-2022, 07:14 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by D-Fens
Please send two front components to my dealership please - I'm still waiting and have a trip coming up.

In all seriousness, I love the air suspension.
Which component are you unable to obtain at your retailer?

Old 05-29-2022, 08:16 AM
Mudding

Which component are you unable to obtain at your retailer?
A pair of front air springs. They quoted 4-6 weeks to get them in. I'm hoping for the best because I plan on a several thousand mile road trip next month.

Old 05-29-2022, 08:31 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by D-Fens
A pair of front air springs. They quoted 4-6 weeks to get them in. I'm hoping for the best because I plan on a several thousand mile road trip next month.
Yes, unfortunately the parts come by sea rather than air and shipments have been slow going out from suppliers, so six weeks sounds about right.

Were you involved in an accident? It's extremely rare (borderline improbable) to hear that two air struts require replacement on a new Defender due to a defect.

Could you expand on the problem? I'm curious if the retailer has misdiagnosed the issue.

Old 05-29-2022, 08:48 AM
Mudding
Received 135 Likes on 68 Posts

In my case there was a service bulletin for a small leak in the front springs on a specific production date Defender. This was for early builds and mine was a 2020 order. What signaled the issue was the truck lowering when left for an period of time
Not sure if this is the case for the OP

Old 05-29-2022, 09:05 AM
Mudding

Yes, unfortunately the parts come by sea rather than air and shipments have been slow going out from suppliers, so six weeks sounds about right.

Were you involved in an accident? It's extremely rare (borderline improbable) to hear that two air struts require replacement on a new Defender due to a defect.

Could you expand on the problem? I'm curious if the retailer has misdiagnosed the issue.
No accidents. Since getting it in September, the front end would need to raise when I started the car most of the time, which I assumed was normal. More recently it has started to raise the front randomly while driving (and I'll hear the compressor running at times), so it's getting worse. I would assume it's actually just one of the two springs but they are replacing both (over spending time trying to diagnose which one, I guess). I, of course, wonder if it could be just an air line or a loose fitting. I would be more thorough if it was my money.

Old 05-29-2022, 09:08 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by gurka01
In my case there was a service bulletin for a small leak in the front springs on a specific production date Defender. This was for early builds and mine was a 2020 order. What signaled the issue was the truck lowering when left for an period of time
Not sure if this is the case for the OP
It may be a similar issue, but I'm in a '22, which is outside the date range for that issue.

Quick Reply: Is air suspension worth it if I don't plan to do much off roading?