2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is air suspension worth it if I don't plan to do much off roading?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2022, 09:31 AM
Winching
Received 653 Likes on 318 Posts

Reading these issues, and other problems posted here previously, I’m glad I have coils. The ride is fantastic as is. And I don’t have to worry about the dozens, or maybe hundreds of components which could prove to be weak points in the future. Being that it is a complex vehicle out of the box with many vulnerabilities, that is one less crisis I need to worry about. When starting my build, I almost went there, but soon saw the issues posted here about leaky air lines, involuntary raising and lowering, hoses popping off, etc. and decided to go with the coils and have no regrets. Just my two cents.

The following 3 users liked this post by WTFChuck:
crcjr1963 (05-29-2022), Drednot (06-01-2022), lightning (05-02-2023)
Old 05-29-2022, 10:02 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 681 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by WTFChuck
Reading these issues, and other problems posted here previously, I’m glad I have coils. The ride is fantastic as is. And I don’t have to worry about the dozens, or maybe hundreds of components which could prove to be weak points in the future. Being that it is a complex vehicle out of the box with many vulnerabilities, that is one less crisis I need to worry about. When starting my build, I almost went there, but soon saw the issues posted here about leaky air lines, involuntary raising and lowering, hoses popping off, etc. and decided to go with the coils and have no regrets. Just my two cents.
Just a few minor air suspension bugs with a brand new model. Those of us that had LR3's and LR4's had very few air suspension issues. Biggest one was having to replace the air compressor well after 100K miles. Being able to lift the vehicle on demand in deep snow and soft sand was important to me. Also no sagging when packed with family, dog, gear, roof box and hitch bike rack.

Old 05-29-2022, 10:54 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I am very happy with the ride and the handling of my coil suspension ‘22. My previous vehicle, a 2016 L405 supercharged would adjust by itself all of the time. I brought it to the dealer and it was “operating properly”. We also have a 2007 L322 which had one front shock replaced for 2 grand.

Old 05-29-2022, 10:56 AM
Mudding
Received 156 Likes on 89 Posts

The air suspension's complexity and reliability were the only concern I had before I purchased (because it's all new to me, having previously driven much more basic vehicles), but despite my issue I still really enjoy having the air suspension. It's also worth noting I'm not stranded and my Defender isn't in the shop while I drive a loaner or something. I'm still driving it and enjoying it. Anything can fail. I've had non-LR products that ate through clutch throwout bearings, required engine replacement for a coolant leak into a cylinder, and various minor issues. Maybe I've just been beaten down over the years.

Old 05-29-2022, 11:21 AM
Mudding
Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

We have a 2010 LR4 which has 160k miles and I just did the front air springs a year back. They last a long time and if you are able to DIY they are easier to replace than a shock/spring assembly. About $300 each and a few hours work. I confess that I have no idea on the complexity to replace on the defender but I can't imagine it is much more complicated

The following users liked this post:
PaulLR (05-30-2022)
Old 05-29-2022, 11:21 AM
Mudding
Received 310 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by D-Fens
No accidents. Since getting it in September, the front end would need to raise when I started the car most of the time, which I assumed was normal. More recently it has started to raise the front randomly while driving (and I'll hear the compressor running at times), so it's getting worse. I would assume it's actually just one of the two springs but they are replacing both (over spending time trying to diagnose which one, I guess). I, of course, wonder if it could be just an air line or a loose fitting. I would be more thorough if it was my money.
That sounds like a faulty air valve block, fitting or height sensor. Many people assume that when a Land Rover starts dropping or the compressor begins running frequently they have a bad air bag/air strut. However, the more common issue is a valve block, sensor or line/fitting issue. There is a proper way to diagnose this (and the system isn't especially complicated to be honest) but it does require some time and patience and an understanding of how the system functions.

Have you tried a different retailer? I genuinely don't think this sounds like an air strut problem.

Old 05-29-2022, 11:58 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by D-Fens
The air suspension's complexity and reliability were the only concern I had before I purchased (because it's all new to me, having previously driven much more basic vehicles), but despite my issue I still really enjoy having the air suspension. It's also worth noting I'm not stranded and my Defender isn't in the shop while I drive a loaner or something. I'm still driving it and enjoying it. Anything can fail. I've had non-LR products that ate through clutch throwout bearings, required engine replacement for a coolant leak into a cylinder, and various minor issues. Maybe I've just been beaten down over the years.
Granted, when something works fine, it makes for a happy owner. I owned 5 Saabs over the years and always drew raised eyebrows from non-believers. A friend owned one that was in the shop more than it was on the road, while I put over 350k miles on my trusty vehicle. It all comes down to luck and odds. Being that I’m not a gambler, I chose to avoid it, but obviously there are many owners who love theirs and makes them happy owners. Different experiences for different folks.

Old 05-29-2022, 12:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,505 Likes on 1,016 Posts

Off-road and comfort concerns aside, these Defenders are pretty tall.

If you have a functional roof-rack, parking in garages can be a squeaker. When non-functional, the rack adds only 53mm to the OEM height above the shark-fin so may not be a concern.

Without access mode, my Defender would be outside all winter long. The air-suspension confers added garaging options that would be otherwise unavailable in certain scenarios.

Access Mode with ski rack on the OEM rack. Garage door is close.

*I did adjust the open position of the door after this picture. Gained another 1/2" of clearance.

Last edited by GavinC; 05-29-2022 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-29-2022, 01:02 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,402 Likes on 689 Posts

…I owned 5 Saabs…. Being that I’m not a gambler,
I’m calling bull****.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (05-29-2022)
Old 05-29-2022, 04:01 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I’m calling bull****.
Which part? Not being a gambler, or my claim of owning the Saabs? There may be some bull****ters here on this forum, but I don’t gamble, and I don’t bull****. The first was a 1984 900S, the one that went 350k, and I still have a tool chest of Saab special tools from rebuilding calipers, replacing wheel bearings and CV joints. I’d bet you it was as good in the snow with its winter Vredesteins as my Defender, but remember, I don’t gamble. Haven’t bought a lottery ticket in decades, so I never lose.😎

Quick Reply: Is air suspension worth it if I don't plan to do much off roading?