Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All Terrain Tire Daily Driving Tire Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2022, 02:59 PM
Mudding
Received 310 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Ehloo
wondering what everyone runs for daily driving. I have K02’s and i believe my installer said they were set at around 50. Never checked them and they are much lower now in the high 30’s.

not sure if i notice any difference. Can’t seem to find the right pressure anywhere online.

running 275/55/20
We provide the pressures within the dashboard menu (both high and low) as well as your current pressure estimate. Additionally, the pressures are located right on the inner B-pillar that is visible when you open the driver-side door. Beyond that there is the owners manual of course.

The high range of pressure should be used for heavy loads, towing and maximum fuel economy. The low range prioritizes comfort, but accelerates wear (especially on the shoulder) and is insufficient for heavy loads and towing. I personally like to run the tyres directly in between the two ranges which takes a bit of the edge off but doesn't increase tyre wear a great deal (and will allow occasional heavy loads and use).

The factory pressure monitors are usually accurate within say 3-5% so if you're a perfectionist get a top quality digital gauge.

K02's are quite capable off-road tyres, but are subject to heightened shoulder and irregular wear patterns. I suggest not using comfort pressures (low) with those tyres.

Hope this helps.

The following 4 users liked this post by The Insider:
GavinC (03-09-2022), GrouseK9 (03-09-2022), Kev M (03-09-2022), swajames (03-09-2022)
Old 03-09-2022, 03:19 PM
Mudding
Received 270 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by The Insider
K02's are quite capable off-road tyres, but are subject to heightened shoulder and irregular wear patterns. I suggest not using comfort pressures (low) with those tyres.
I’m going to have to disagree with you. I’ve been running KO2’s for many years at low pressure and have never had “heightened shoulder and irregular wear patterns”. And I typically get 50 to 60k miles out of them - easily. Just rotate every 5,000 miles.

Old 03-09-2022, 03:36 PM
Winching
Received 165 Likes on 116 Posts

guess my goal is less noise and possibly better mpg

i have a 110 V8. had the same wheel settup on my p400 and didn’t experience much noise. swapped them over and the noise is considerable louder. wondering if the weight of the v8 is factoring into the extra noise.

i am in the mid 30’s right now and thinking to pump them up to the higher 40’s to see if that changes anything

Originally Posted by The Insider
We provide the pressures within the dashboard menu (both high and low) as well as your current pressure estimate. Additionally, the pressures are located right on the inner B-pillar that is visible when you open the driver-side door. Beyond that there is the owners manual of course.

The high range of pressure should be used for heavy loads, towing and maximum fuel economy. The low range prioritizes comfort, but accelerates wear (especially on the shoulder) and is insufficient for heavy loads and towing. I personally like to run the tyres directly in between the two ranges which takes a bit of the edge off but doesn't increase tyre wear a great deal (and will allow occasional heavy loads and use).

The factory pressure monitors are usually accurate within say 3-5% so if you're a perfectionist get a top quality digital gauge.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-09-2022, 03:59 PM
Mudding
Received 310 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by dj200
I’m going to have to disagree with you. I’ve been running KO2’s for many years at low pressure and have never had “heightened shoulder and irregular wear patterns”. And I typically get 50 to 60k miles out of them - easily. Just rotate every 5,000 miles.
You are welcome to disagree. However, my statement and recommendation pertains to the vehicle cited. I said the tyre in question is "subject to heightened shoulder and irregular wear patterns." This is correct and a fact. All tyre wear is subject to the tread arrangement, depth, compound, vehicle weight, alignment and application.

Can you confirm you have attained 50,000+ miles of good wear on a new Defender or other D7u platform Land Rover using a K02? If so, you've achieved something we have not.

Tire recommendations should always be vehicle specific. Great results with one vehicle do not always translate to another. D7u/x vehicles are quite heavy in general and demand careful tire choice.

Finally, asking our owners to come in for tyre rotations every 5,000 miles would be an outrageous proposition for most.

The following 2 users liked this post by The Insider:
Kev M (03-09-2022), swajames (03-09-2022)
Old 03-09-2022, 05:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 262 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Kev M
JLR really put shockingly diverse load ranges on this vehicle. Maybe that's normal for JLR, I can't say as this is our first and professionally I've not worked with many of their vehicles. But it is FAR from the norm in the industry.

That said IF one is concerned about tire pressure and whether they are suitable for the specific vehicle and conditions one must simply watch the pressures (and the TPMS system on many modern vehicles makes this easy).

Simply watch the overnight cold pressure when you first start it, and check again after 10-20 minutes of driving for the hot pressure.

If the cold pressure was appropriate for conditions, then hot will increase ~10-15%.

If the increase is much less than that, pressures are too high for conditions.

If the increase is much more than that, pressure are too low for conditions.

At least this is the way tire engineers normally advise to adjust pressures.
Rodger Goodell disagrees with you.

Old 03-09-2022, 06:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 308 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by ADVAW8S
Rodger Goodell disagrees with you.
Ha ha, he probably doesn't believe in Boyle's Law either ...