Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Android Auto/Apple CarPlay disconnecting

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2022, 04:11 PM
Overlanding
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Android Auto/Apple CarPlay disconnecting

Just took delivery on a MY23.5 Defender 110 X, and Pivi Pro disconnects from Android Auto and CarPlay after a few minutes and simply will not stay connected, wirelessly or wired. This seems to be a fairly common issue not just on the Defender but also on RR's, Sports and others, but I've not found anything that resolves the issue. Talked to the dealer and they say it's an issue to be resolved in a future update. Anyone else dealing with this, or know of a workaround/fix? I've tried several things to affect a solution both on the phone and on the Defender to no avail.
I've found that the Auto connection is accomplished through a WiFi SSID named LRxxxxx, and PP connects to it automatically on the phone after it's paired. It doesn't use Bluetooth, therefore calls, etc. remain functional.
Yes, the Defender and the Samsung S21 have the latest updates.
Thoughts?

Old 10-12-2022, 07:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 246 Likes on 131 Posts

I have had the 110 SE for under a week and so far my car play has not had any issues. I leave the phone in the cup holder or on the charging mat thing. Did a multi-hour road trip too worked entire time.

Old 10-14-2022, 06:52 AM
Winching
Received 592 Likes on 306 Posts

I've had my MY23 110S for about a month and have never had an issue with CarPlay. iPhone 30Pro latest os upgrade 16.x. Post the Pivi upgrade still works great. And of all the cars I have Carplay connects faster than any of them, by a large margin. Seems as soon as I'm in the truck I'm connected.

Old 10-14-2022, 10:43 AM
Drifting
Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

I get a message on screen from time to time Apple Car play disconnected and then it connects right back. Figured it's a bug and hopefully fixed in next update.

Old 10-14-2022, 10:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 461 Likes on 232 Posts

Turns out mine (CarPlay) disconnects at repeatable locations. The Chase Bank, Home Depot and some others around town along with a large interchange on I-17. I suspect it is interference from the alarm systems being over the allowable power levels for 2.4 ghz (Bluetooth & WifI). These all occur while I drive by and quickly re-connect when I get beyond the interference zone. If I start the car near one of the above, CarPlay never connects and sometime later will connect or just be recalcitrant and not connect till I re-start. Then I had so much fun today since the new iPhone 14 Pro showed up last night. CarPlay got all kinds of confused but not really its fault. Apple it seems, if you do the magic Vulcan mind meld technique of moving the essence of your older phone to the newer one, retains the older one's name, in my case the iPhone 13 Pro. CarPlay thought there where two iPhone 13's of the same name. Had to re-name the new phone to something more relevant and delete all the phones off CarPlay and re-pair.

The following users liked this post:
this_account_is_mt (02-18-2023)
Old 10-15-2022, 12:51 AM
Drifting
Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

I will start to pay more attention on when it disconnects. Mine dropped on the 17 as well today. Just a couple of hours south

good info thanks!

Old 10-15-2022, 09:26 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 461 Likes on 232 Posts

Yes it is the big intersection at Cordes Junction. Goes out for a significant time both sides. As a famous villain said about his Death Star, which closely resembled the AT&T logo :

Darth Vader : Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to destroy a planet, or even a whole system, is insignificant next to the power of the Force.

So relevant when it comes to phones now.

Old 10-15-2022, 09:40 AM
Vin
Mudding
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

I have had mine disconnect occasionally, sometimes with a loud, electrical crack that sounds like the whole system short-circuited, and it won’t reconnect until I power cycle the whole car. It’s only happened a few times and I too have come to the conclusion it’s due to some sort of WiFi/BT interference. BTW, I’ve never been successful rebooting the Pivi Pro whilst driving, it doesn’t matter how long I hold the button.

Old 02-16-2023, 09:38 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am shocked I don't see others with more issues.. Just took delivery of my 90 X and it has been giving me connection issues with the media since day one. I have update my phone and car. Issues are wired and wireless. Tested Carplay today with my sons car and the same thing happens with his phone. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Old 02-17-2023, 06:12 AM
Drifting
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dogpilot
Turns out mine (CarPlay) disconnects at repeatable locations. The Chase Bank, Home Depot and some others around town along with a large interchange on I-17. I suspect it is interference from the alarm systems being over the allowable power levels for 2.4 ghz (Bluetooth & WifI). These all occur while I drive by and quickly re-connect when I get beyond the interference zone. If I start the car near one of the above, CarPlay never connects and sometime later will connect or just be recalcitrant and not connect till I re-start. Then I had so much fun today since the new iPhone 14 Pro showed up last night. CarPlay got all kinds of confused but not really its fault. Apple it seems, if you do the magic Vulcan mind meld technique of moving the essence of your older phone to the newer one, retains the older one's name, in my case the iPhone 13 Pro. CarPlay thought there where two iPhone 13's of the same name. Had to re-name the new phone to something more relevant and delete all the phones off CarPlay and re-pair.
It is absolutely this. On 3 newer models we have had with the new pivipro2, 22' Defender X, 23' RR, 23' Defender V8. All of them disconnect when I drive by a certain shopping center, and then reconnects when I pass it. Very annoying as when I am on a phone call, it disconnects me totally or just switches to the phone from the car. Sales guy says he knows it happens but didn't say it will be fixed with any updates,. And since it has happened on all three cars over the past 15 months, I don't think its gonna get fixed.

The following users liked this post:
ficklma1 (02-17-2023)