2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone’s Dealer like to Upcharge on Parts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2024, 06:08 PM
Mudding
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by GavinC
Misery loves company @EchorecT7E .

Took my skilled dealer over a week to figure out they also needed a shock. They supposedly looked at it a week or so ago after me walking them to the issue and asking them to inspect the shock. "yeah shock is fine just needs mount" to "Oh yeah the shock is broken." Now we wait for ~10 days to get the part. I suspect the tech never bothered to inspect the shock as I asked and just lied to me. Same guy told me he'd replaced a broken clip on the tailgate and the one I was pointing at was the new one he'd installed. Same scratch from a ski pole and busted plastic tip on the new one too. Remarkable.

Shock mount and shock parts even comes as a full unit. Shock and mount together.

7 working days for them to figure stuff out and it's exactly what was outlined and suggested to them. They couldn't diagnose it without me in the car. Truly epic level efficiency from the LR Bellevue team.

Who knows what the actual true time line on the part is. They have always been next to useless in that dept. More lies and BS to come no doubt.
I echo your frustration. The last thing I want to do is tell a mechanic how to do their job, but they literally do not do their job. Incompetency at its finest.

I will say, the dealer initially gave me the same timeline then walked it back. No ETA

Old 05-21-2024, 08:21 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,297 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by EchorecT7E
I echo your frustration. The last thing I want to do is tell a mechanic how to do their job, but they literally do not do their job. Incompetency at its finest.

I will say, the dealer initially gave me the same timeline then walked it back. No ETA
yeah. That’s what I expect too.

it really depends on dealer competence.

my mate in Portland had the same failure. Dealer had the car 4 hours and diagnosed the issue. Ordered part. 10 days. Did fix.

Mine has been dicking about since mid April with this. Completely unable to identify a clear rattle in a shock first time out.

I too don’t want to be that guy who tells folks how to do their job. But when you’re being lied to, straight to your face, by someone who stinks of the weekends booze and stale smokes on a Monday morning it doesn’t really inspire brand confidence.

I don’t expect to get parts immediately or to have F1 mechanics involved but when you tell someone and show someone what’s going on and they are completely dumbfounded that a shock could fail, and go on like you’re and idiot, it’s a bit worrying.

last time he had the car to fix headlight and alpine window trim he left a panel on the c pillar flapping in the breeze and went to the trouble to cross thread a bolt for the trunk tie downs.

anyway. I dislike being treated like a schmuck and being lied to. Granted I am a schmuck but that’s beside the point.

Grumble grumble etc. Isn’t life swell.

The following users liked this post:
nashvegas (05-22-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 01:58 PM
Winching
Received 161 Likes on 114 Posts

it is true, dealers can charge whatever they want for oem parts. went through this with the need for a aux intercooler. nationwide back order. don’t think they knew that but they were 20% higher than retail. JLR is like the wild wild west. let dealers do whatever they want