2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone getting a new V8 defender?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2021, 11:19 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Anyone getting a new V8 defender?

I知 surprised Land Rover is doing this. Will it only be a one year special edition or something with the world going crazy and getting rid of V8 power?

Anyway I知 glad they are doing it.

Old 06-19-2021, 02:32 PM
Mudding
Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

They will continue making the V8 engine for a good few years yet. I知 sure the US is the biggest market for this engine but it will always be low volume compared to the P300/400s is my guess.

Vive la V8!!!!

Old 06-19-2021, 07:45 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

Back in February I specifically told the Dealer that if they can't ship it before the 22's arrive, then I'd order a V-8. So, another reason I was a bit peeved about the MY22 upgrade that changed my specs. Anyway, my thought is that the V8 will be available to the US market for a few more years. I know all the manufacturers are marketing the change over to all hybrids & electric, but I live in Texas. We can't get the power grid to work reliably WITHOUT every vehicle recharging off the power network. No one is starting to expand the electric grids to handle it, so I'm skeptical how fast the adoption will be. I'm not against it. The reality is that the public power grids are likely not going to be able to handle it in the foreseeable future. We're struggling to fix the roads, bridges and dams. No one even started talking about upgrading the power distribution to handle a new energy delivery source for all the vehicles. So, I'm thinking V-8's might be around for a while longer in the US market.

{I don't mean to go political here and apologize if this stirs up anyone. I'll go ahead and delete & try not to offend if this starts a firestorm of debate}

Old 06-19-2021, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 108 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
{I don't mean to go political here and apologize if this stirs up anyone. I'll go ahead and delete & try not to offend if this starts a firestorm of debate}
I'm sure you're fine.

Getting a V8 myself.

Last edited by soulsea; 06-19-2021 at 08:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (06-19-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 05:54 AM
4wd High
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ordered April 1, delivery October 12. Carpathian. Screw it, only live once!

cam anyone comment , or lead me to a post, on what to expect regarding pickup? Can I negotiate final price, is it take it or leave it, in this market can I expect dealer to try to talk me out of accepting so the can sell for higher, etc….. (I’m in Texas)

thnaks!

Old 06-20-2021, 07:58 AM
Pro Wrench

Pick up was quick and easy for me. I came with outside financing that was CRAZY good (1.89%) and they couldn't come close to matching it. So, I recommend shopping around for financing. You have plenty of time! I also didn't have a trade in. Again, handled that outside the deal to maximize my end of the $$. So, that left just the deal. I handled as much as possible before coming in. They had some things unfinished and I refused to even come in until they were handled. It was tough, but I've walked off many a lot with "promises" of things to happen that didn't. So, when I came in - the truck was ready, the financing was done, there wasn't any trade in and they already tried to convince me to Lease which I'm not the right profile. Finally, I declined the "test drive". Like it's going to have a problem at this point or I'm going to walk away? Worst case, if I hated it, I'd resell it. But no, they didn't try to add anything into the deal, but I have to tell you - it is definitely a "take it or leave" it market. For EVERY brand. They have more customers than vehicles and sales people are quitting because they can't earn commissions. Nothing to sell! If you order it, they will honor it. But if something on your side turns it over, they will easily put it back on the lot.

It was a world record for me. In & out of the Dealer in ~45 minutes. Much of that was walking thru the features before I drove off. They have a check list of tech to go over so you can do the basics of driving the thing. It DEFINITELY is distracting at first. I immediately drove home and spent an hour getting familiar with it all.

angelboing (06-20-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 10:56 AM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

if they announced the V8 early, that would be my first choice. But the X was the first one hence I got it.

Old 06-21-2021, 06:12 AM
4wd High
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks very helpful. I know my neighbor bought a Range Rover 4 months ago. they did not order. The dealership recently called him asking if they could buy it back from him. Crazy market!

Old 06-21-2021, 06:46 AM
Pro Wrench

@LoneStarBridger I read in another thread (sorry, don't remember who to give credit) where a guy ordered one. They changed the MY specs and it was too late to change so he just placed another order. It just came in (super fast) and when he went there he saw his original order on the Dealer's lot. They marked up his purchase cost (MSRP) by something like $25k! Wow.

LoneStarBridger (06-21-2021)