2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto leveling possible?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2023, 07:16 AM
Mudding
Received 121 Likes on 62 Posts

We will make announcements once things get that far and ask for users who'd like to become betas. No worries.
As for the rest - let's just say for now our thoughts are very similar to what is being discussed here.

The following users liked this post:
ficklma1 (08-25-2023)
Old 08-25-2023, 10:03 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 735 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by uncledd
Though, I can't imagine we would need a separate piece of hardware to accomplish this.....
I dont think some of you get how Rover auto leveling works. It levels relative to the ground it is on. There is no sensor in the LR3/4 for leveling, it is just reading the four height sensors. On a slope? It will average the wheel heights and match the slope angle. If you want horizon leveling - like ya do when you build a new deck on the house - then you do need a piece of hardware. In this case a sensor that is fix and calibrated on the truck to show what true horizon level is. This is what the XLifter does. It has a sensor inside and adjusts the air ride based on that.

If the newest Defenders can do this then I bet there is a module or something with an additional sensor. Or maybe there is an existing one in all Defenders and GAP could do some simple magic! If not, maybe that can be moved to a Defender without one and activated with GAP somehow. Otherwise your options are to manually do it, which you can get help with from an RV leveling module and app, or an XLifter-likes device for full integration.

I myself just level my LR3 by hand with GAP using guided calibration then yank the fuse without saving the settings. Done this dozens of time with no issue and the rig is level for camping/cooking out the kitchen. Thought of the XLifter, but it is overpriced.

Old 08-25-2023, 03:22 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
I dont think some of you get how Rover auto leveling works. It levels relative to the ground it is on. There is no sensor in the LR3/4 for leveling, it is just reading the four height sensors. On a slope? It will average the wheel heights and match the slope angle. If you want horizon leveling - like ya do when you build a new deck on the house - then you do need a piece of hardware. In this case a sensor that is fix and calibrated on the truck to show what true horizon level is. This is what the XLifter does. It has a sensor inside and adjusts the air ride based on that.

If the newest Defenders can do this then I bet there is a module or something with an additional sensor. Or maybe there is an existing one in all Defenders and GAP could do some simple magic! If not, maybe that can be moved to a Defender without one and activated with GAP somehow. Otherwise your options are to manually do it, which you can get help with from an RV leveling module and app, or an XLifter-likes device for full integration.

I myself just level my LR3 by hand with GAP using guided calibration then yank the fuse without saving the settings. Done this dozens of time with no issue and the rig is level for camping/cooking out the kitchen. Thought of the XLifter, but it is overpriced.
The Defender does know the slope angle relative to the horizon. I think people are hopeful that the same modules, sensors or whatever that are used to determine slope, can be used to auto level too.

The following users liked this post:
uncledd (08-28-2023)