Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backup Camera Objects Appear Close

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2021, 05:29 PM
Overlanding
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Backup Camera Objects Appear Close

Do others of you out there have the same view that when your backup camera is activated it makes objects appear closer to the car than they really are? It makes cars look like they are much closer than they really are in parking lots.

The following users liked this post:
clubguy (12-31-2021)
Old 12-31-2021, 12:02 PM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

That's why the clearview only works in the highway not the drive through.

Old 12-31-2021, 03:13 PM
Overlanding
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

@sblvro I am not taking about the clear view rear view mirror. The camera that appears on the display when you put the car in reverse is the one I’m referring to.

Old 01-01-2022, 01:56 PM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

The rear view mirror doesn't tell you where the spare tire is in relation to the car behind.

Old 01-01-2022, 02:09 PM
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I go crazy trying to figure out what that rear parking camera is showing me!

Originally Posted by Dmedenas
Do others of you out there have the same view that when your backup camera is activated it makes objects appear closer to the car than they really are? It makes cars look like they are much closer than they really are in parking lots.
Yes, I can't parc with it ! Sure, when I'm straight aligned with the cars I have to parc in between, I get it, (but check and double check my sight mirrors at the same time!) but when coming from 2 mtr and having to make a turn into the spot between 2 cars.... It's just not at all a clear view, no clue of real distance, the real proportion there, and the yellow lines are not really helping cause they keep showing the turn. It's shows a huge space and yet certain objects seem much closer at a certain point. And I still haven't figured out how to Parc with it. Also, a shame, there's no straight guiding line, in yellow, with dots to mark the space you need for opening the doors (like in the jaguar f.e.) and I would have loved a green/orange /red line at the end.
The parking camera is so so very disappointing! So yeah, I get what you mean.

The following users liked this post:
Dmedenas (03-02-2022)
Old 01-01-2022, 04:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 254 Likes on 156 Posts

OP if anything it's just the opposite for me. In fact all of the cameras show distant views for me. The recent update which allows for the camera feeds to stay up instead of disappearing at 30 mph or whatever it was, that new behavior would be absolutely golden if the distances were shown accurately. I don't understand the point of not having accurate distances, I know the usual blurb 'objects in mirror are closer than they appear' has been around for years, not sure where that idea came from. Probably USA regulatory garbage of some sort. The only truly safe way for me to see anything 100% safely on my left is to put down the window and stick my neck out. If you're tall and have to have the seat back the pillers are really blocking the site lines bigtime. With all of the technology they have available that shouldn't be the case. The blind spot monitor is great until it isn't, it misses sometimes, especially motorcycles, so then you have something you can't trust to spot 100%. I don't want a lit up icon anyway (which should've probably been a reddish hue instead of yellow too btw) ... anyway, I want an actual camera feed to pop up on the side my signal is on.

Last edited by Chief65; 01-01-2022 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-01-2022, 05:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

As I have said before: I haven't been in many accidents, but I back into a lot of "stuff". I'm sure I'll back the Defender into something, but I really love the radar beeps as I get close to something. I pay more attention to that than the cameras.

Old 01-02-2022, 05:30 AM
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can they still come with software update for their camera parking stuff?

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
As I have said before: I haven't been in many accidents, but I back into a lot of "stuff". I'm sure I'll back the Defender into something, but I really love the radar beeps as I get close to something. I pay more attention to that than the cameras.
I find the beeps very nervous but yes, wouldn't want to do without them, true. But you know, here in the Netherlands we pay like a € 115.000 for the Defender (lots of taxes &#128580 but that makes it quite an expensive car. And I expected, from LR but also for that amount, a good solid parking assist, with the right cameras, the right view, nice guiding lines. To help me, as I lost that capacity myself, Parc the car just fine without worries. And that, it doesn't,not all at. My husbands solution was : don't look at it, just do it yourself. Yah right, if I was still good with that, 😭 I would, and I wouldn't have been so eager to get a good parking assist! To me, it's a lot worse than the evoque I had a 6 years ago, and the jag my husband is driving now. Can't believe this is their polished brand new system,that's how bad it is. (even the mechanic in the garage didn't trust the yellow lines to guide him through, backward ) so I wonder, because I really really hope so, if they can improve this by adding /updating software in the future?

Old 01-02-2022, 01:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 235 Likes on 110 Posts

No, i don’t think/feel that the back up camera makes objects appear to be closer.

i find the yellow line accompanied with the beeps and the 3d camera system to be very effective in providing me a reliable assessment of my surrounding when i navigate in tight spaces including parking in tight spot as well as tight garage with only inches of clearance around.

as for the clearview rear mirror which is equipped with a wide angle lens, the purpose of it is to alert you with a wide scope of view of what is behind you so you can be alert and anticipate the traffic condition behind you. It is not meant to be an accurate measuring device of distance.

in sum, i find both devices/technology to be very effective and useful.