Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

360 Parking Aid vs Surround Camera

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 10:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Default 360 Parking Aid vs Surround Camera

For 2019, the 360 parking aid is now standard on the SE on up but the "Surround Camera" is in a $2900 option package. Does anyone know the specific difference between the 2? Hard to understand how you have a visual 360 parking aid without a surround camera system unless 360 parking aid is purely a S/W generated "virtual picture" derived from spacial sensors where surround cameras are indeed physical cameras?

Old 08-21-2018, 10:45 PM
Rock Crawling

What the website says:

360 Parking Aid: Providing complete confidence when maneuvering into tight spaces, 360° Parking Aid delivers audio and visual feedback, indicating your proximity to obstacles as you park.

Surround Camera: Using four digital cameras discreetly placed around the vehicle, the 360º Surround Camera provides an overhead view on the Discovery touchscreen. Multiple views are available to assist with a variety of maneuvers.

Old 08-22-2018, 04:37 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

So visually the 360 parking aid shows an icon of the car. It has proximity sensors around the vehicle and you get beeping plus colored stripes around the outside of the vehicle icon as you get close to obstacles. The colored stripes get more red and closer to the car icon as you get close to the obstacle. So you can't see what it is near the vehicle but you know something is there

The surround camera system gives you a view forwards, backwards and out each side. So you can look at a specific camera or have an overhead birds eye view where the camera superimposes a picture of everything around the vehicle sort of like an aerial view. It's quite impressive

The following users liked this post:
canon_mutant (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 04:58 AM
Rock Crawling

Yeah, I did a fair amount of surfing and finally figured out my assumption was correct. Simulated view vs actual.

I for off roading, and the wife, for just daily driving want the "surround camera" feature.

Sadly, for 2019, they mixed the Surround Camera in with the stupid Auto Cruise Control [drive my car for me] crap.

Some people love that stuff and that is fine. I hate tech that drives my car for me.

So we have to decide if it is now worth $2900 . . . which is also the single main reason why the same build 18 vs 19 is so much higher. Mixing those 2 things together. Why would a surround camera system and auto cruise be in the same option pack? Last year's Vision Assist Pack made A LOT more sense.

Oh well . . . the Landrover Ownership struggle continues!

Old 08-22-2018, 05:04 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Agree it's strange to mix them in together.
I like the drive pro. The adaptive cruise makes for very relaxing long distance driving and it also has the emergency braking system which I thought is a good feature. The lane keep assist is fine but nothing special

I highly recommend head up display. Sounds like a gimmick but you get speed limit, actual speed and Nav directions projected right in front of you

Old 08-22-2018, 01:59 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The 360 Surround Camera is neat, but I wouldn't pay $2,900 to get it if I didn't want the other things in the bundle. In the 2018 options, the 360 Surround Camera was bundled with the parking sensors as "360 Parking Aid & Camera", which made sense. The 360 Parking Aid is a group of proximity sensors with a graphic representation of the car showing yellow & red warnings graphics with audio warnings as you get closer to objects. The second part of the package was the 360 Surround camera, which is a graphic representation of the car with a top-down view stitched from 4 cameras. The top-down view comes on when backing and is helpful maneuvering close to outside objects, but some objects appear closer then they are making it not 100% reliable. I have this option, but don't have adaptive cruise, lane-keep assist, or advanced park-assist.

There's a second "surround camera" layout which is four independent Front/Back/Left Front Tire/Right Front Tire camera views (two or three views are available on-screen at once). The rear view comes up when backing, but most views have to be manually selected. I believe this was just standard on anything HE or above. This is a great option for off-road or any tight maneuvering where you want to know exactly how close your wheels are to something (the 360 camera is not detailed enough for this), but some of the views have to be manually selected, so it's not as useful as a parking aid.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:05 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks for the clarification.

Got 2 answers today. Apparently for 2019 you can "still" disable the auto start/stop nonsense crap so that is good [rumor has it that capability is going away] but that silly $3K bundle IS the only way you can get the Surround Camera. But, they are still willing to talk about a 2% discount (~$1500 per $75K) on a presold unit which would literally cover 1/2 of that bundle so I am going in to talk face to face, hopefully Friday. Gets me from my $73,415 2018 build back down to a $74,015 2019 build. Close enough.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Auto stop-start can be temporarily disabled by pressing a button near the gear selector. When you next start the car you have to do that again
Prior models you could disconnect the second battery to 'disable' it, but they no longer use a second battery
I doubt they will take away the ability to turn it off as there are some driving conditions like in wading where you have to turn it off

Old 08-23-2018, 11:45 PM
Rock Crawling

Funny the Wading feature in the MMI display is a separate $350 option for 2019.

Don't do much wading but actually do go off road. Not sure I need the wading feature though.

Most people don't even get them dirty.

I wanted to get the RR Sport but it is a bit "too snazzy" for the wife. I wasn't even going to get the 4-low package on the RR Sport. With all of this wonderful diesel torque already there at 1500rpm, you can go an amazingly long way off road with a great AWD system and appropriate tires. I did all kinds of crazy $hit in my TDI Pepper without 4 low . . . that I still miss horribly.

But, I gotta have 4 corner air though so the twin speed comes along for the ride on the Disco.

See if I can finally get one "for sure" ordered tomorrow . . .