2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best offroad Jack that fits under load space?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2022, 09:58 AM
Mudding
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Ericlockheed
If i were in the market for jacks, i would hold off because harbor freight just came out with their version of an off-road jack. It was just unveiled at sema and will supposedly be less than half the cost of the pro eagle.
Ohhh, thanks for that! I'll take a look.

The following users liked this post:
ficklma1 (11-11-2022)
Old 11-11-2022, 04:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 403 Likes on 202 Posts

I just went for the inexpensive Harbor Freight 4 ton. I would have purchased the one from Home Depot, but it is and has been out of stock for some time.This one was so cheap, even if it only works twice, you could afford to toss it and get another. I got it the side step and the safe jack fitting and some gloves to fit in an old JVC video camera case I found at our local thrift store for .50 Cents. Fits the rear load space organizer for the D90 perfectly. I do have a doubled up piece of 3/4" ply in the compartment below. I must say the foam goodie they put in the back of the D90 is perhaps the most poorly thought out part of the car. I suspect it is there not too poorly organize the jacking equipment, but as a crush zone augmentation for the rear. It is a real disappointment and a PIA to get out.

The following 3 users liked this post by Dogpilot:
GavinC (11-14-2022), GrouseK9 (11-14-2022), MattF (11-11-2022)
Old 11-11-2022, 09:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,306 Likes on 951 Posts

Is this the one folks are talking about?

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-ton-...ack-56734.html

Old 11-14-2022, 07:37 AM
Mudding
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

No, the one im referring to is the "badlands offroad jack". Looks like a pro eagle and will hit the store in a few weeks.

The following users liked this post:
rakusak (11-14-2022)
Old 11-14-2022, 07:47 AM
Mudding
Received 129 Likes on 72 Posts

No, the one im referring to is the "badlands offroad jack". Looks like a pro eagle and will hit the store in a few weeks.
Wow, think that will fit under the load space?

Old 11-14-2022, 08:01 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

Got to watch that you don't oversize the bottle jack if using the SafeJack accessory which fits the Defender jack points. They have REALLY tiny tubes for the BottleJack extension. I downsized because the original jack was to large.

I so #%$#%@ hate the Defender lifting points. My used the rubber puck thing for my floor jack until it finally cracked. I was motivated for sliders to both protect the Defender off-road (Texas has more rocks than mud, so they are almost a requirement), but now I'm just as eager to get them because they provide better lift points.

On that note: Anyone have experience with the new Tuffant Sliders? Post pics, please! I've had great success with Rhino products so was planning to go Lucky8 at the end of the year. However, I like the more subtle Tuffants. But if they are too subtle to protect...

The following 2 users liked this post by GrouseK9:
GavinC (11-14-2022), POPTOPP (11-14-2022)
Old 11-14-2022, 08:44 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 216 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9

On that note: Anyone have experience with the new Tuffant Sliders? Post pics, please! I've had great success with Rhino products so was planning to go Lucky8 at the end of the year. However, I like the more subtle Tuffants. But if they are too subtle to protect...
Sadly, TuffAnt rock sliders are not yet available for the US market. This is what I got from the US distributor: "As for right now we're going to see how the product fares in the Australian market only. Because of the weight of the sliders, shipping individual sets to US consumers is cost prohibited. In Q1 2023 I'll make the decision on whether there is a demand for a 20-foot container load. To justify placing the full order I might need to require payment/preorder prior to shipping as we already see a couple options offered by other vendors here in the US."

Last edited by POPTOPP; 11-14-2022 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-14-2022, 10:47 AM
Mudding
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jusmax88
Wow, think that will fit under the load space?
you may have to disassemble it or think of some other genius method

Old 11-14-2022, 10:55 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 403 Likes on 202 Posts

I must agree with GrouseK9 about SafeJack. I was going to use it with my old standby Craftsmen bottle jack. It turned out to be too small for the piston size. So I actually brought it with me to try the Home Depot one (impressive in its general un-availability) absent, so I can't say if it fits. Went over to Harbor Freight to try it with their selection. If they extended up with any significant height, they didn't fit. The 4 ton was the highest that fit. Almost want to put a bit of metal in it to make it firm up the fit, but it does work just fine. It almost seems I may need to make a 2"x2" block of doubled up 3/4" ply with a bit of a divot drilled in one side to give me more jacking options, since the ones under the vehicle may be more or less inaccessible when you really need them. My worst jacking experience (Range Rover) was in a smallish ditch in volcanic pumice lined with volcanic glass. Yes does sound a bit like the very picture of hell. My right rear wheel collapsed the side of the ditch and sliced the sidewall open on the glass. So glad I had the square of ply, but it was a compound jacking situation. Jack a bit, dig a bit prop up the car a bit with whatever was about. Then I actually moved the car to a more favorable location for jacking. Not like the wheel and rim were going to get any worse over that.

The following 4 users liked this post by Dogpilot:
GavinC (11-14-2022), GrouseK9 (11-15-2022), jusmax88 (01-14-2023), MattF (11-14-2022)
Old 01-14-2023, 12:23 PM
Mudding
Received 170 Likes on 84 Posts

If i were in the market for jacks, i would hold off because harbor freight just came out with their version of an off-road jack. It was just unveiled at sema and will supposedly be less than half the cost of the pro eagle.
​​​​​​​Anyone spring for the Badlands HR Jack yet?

Link to Badlands Jack

Quick Reply: Best offroad Jack that fits under load space?