2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best offroad Jack that fits under load space?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2023, 09:40 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 239 Likes on 118 Posts

What seems to be missing from vendor info is how high the jack actually lifts. The max height can always be increased by adding jack extensions or putting the jack on blocks. The problem I'm facing is once the fully retracted bottle jack is snugged up against the jack point using either method, it doesn't extend enough to get the tire off the ground. So even if the max height of the Badlands jack is 29", if it only lifts 5" it's not going to get the tire off the ground. I don't think the vendor is suggesting their jack has 23" of lift.

Old 01-29-2023, 01:01 AM
Mudding
Received 130 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Tartan
For additional safety when changing tires, this is worth considering. Just need to raise to full off road height before starting. there should be no need to fuss with jacking up from access or comfort height and then trying to extend the jack. Just raise the car to off road height before doing any jacking and let the car do the initial lifting for you. Powerbuilt 3 Ton, Bottle Jack and Jack Stands in One, 6000 Pound All-in-One Car Lift, Heavy Duty Vehicle Unijack, 640912 https://a.co/d/421bca7
Been thinking of going with this option, anyone have any experience with them?

Old 01-29-2023, 08:39 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 268 Likes on 168 Posts

I got one and it’s great. Very safe, but it’s too big to fit underneath in the storage area.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tartan:
930dreamer (04-10-2023), jusmax88 (02-06-2023)
Old 04-09-2023, 10:53 PM
Mudding
Received 141 Likes on 71 Posts

I took advantage of a warm day to try my new jacking toys - always try them in the driveway before trying in the real world, of course. First, thanks to all who contributed to this thread; I learned a lot and made my purchases based on your recommendations.

Here’s what I’m working with:

- 2023 Defender 110 with coil springs
- SafeJack bottle jack kit.
- Pinch weld frame pad (https://safejacks.com/collections/bo...weld-frame-pad)
- Hi-Lift ORB Off Road Base https://a.co/d/gDAkcwd

Some lessons-learned:

1. Even with coil springs, these trucks like to droop. I had to jack pretty high to get the tire off the ground. But I didn’t start high - I used the smallest jack extension that came in the kit (in between the jack itself and the pinch weld frame pad). The longer extensions would have made the thing to tall to fit under the car.

2. The bottle jack that came in the Safe Jack kit fits nicely into the rectangular “well” on the top of the ORB. Too nicely. There isn’t much room between the base of the jack and the lip of the rectangular well. Which meant that after I had pumped up the jack, I couldn’t get the jack handle onto the little bolt to turn it to release the pressure and let the vehicle down; the bolt was too close to the lip. I had to go get a vise grip to turn it a quarter turn at a time.

I think I will invert the base if I need to use it in the real world, so I have a nice flat, wide surface and can get to the bolt when it’s time.

3. The pinch weld frame pad has a 90-degree (right angle edges) channel; it’s flat on the bottom. But our Defenders have a V—shaped weld that the Jack pad has to mate to (the scissor Jack that came with the Defender has a V-shaped pad of course). Moreover, the vehicle jacking point’s V is wider than the Safe Jack frame pad channel. Which means the vehicle’s weld got stuck in the frame pad when the sharp edges at the top of the channel cut into the metal of the jacking point. When I lowered the jack, the frame pad didn’t release. I tried prying it off by inserting a screwdriver, but only came close to bending the screwdriver. In the end, I had to tap it with a hammer, alternating between taps to the jack pad and taps to the base of the jack, to get it to slide off of the jacking point. Not good, and I’m sure I scratched the paint on the jacking point.

I don’t think the other pads that came in the kit would be better: they are either flat or a wide U shape (to put under an axel, I assume?). They won’t be secure on the jacking point either.

So that’s what I learned today. I’ll keep the scissor Jack in the boot when I go off-road. If the ground is stable enough, and the vehicle is basically level, it’s going to be much easier to lower and remove.

The following 3 users liked this post by Mike_F:
Huc (04-10-2023), mdgs (04-11-2023), ThunderBob (04-10-2023)
Old 04-11-2023, 04:53 PM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Any pics to share?

Old 04-15-2023, 08:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 132 Likes on 63 Posts

Mike F - I really appreciate your comments here. I've been eyeing that exact part combination and haven't gotten around to pulling the trigger. I had the same concerns about the pinch weld shape.
I guess I'll stick with the scissor jack for now as well.

Old 04-16-2023, 07:33 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 121 Likes on 42 Posts

I just took an angle grinder to the pinch weld adapter and kind of chamfered it. Tried it out this weekend and it did not get stuck on the lifting points

The following users liked this post:
Mike_F (04-16-2023)
Old 04-16-2023, 07:54 PM
Mudding
Received 141 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Adamalli
I just took an angle grinder to the pinch weld adapter and kind of chamfered it. Tried it out this weekend and it did not get stuck on the lifting points
Great idea. I’ll try that.

Old 04-18-2023, 10:03 AM
Winching
Received 451 Likes on 214 Posts

A little bit off topic....
Did grind the feet of the OEM scissor Jack at both sides 0.25" so now it fits safely in/on the Hi-lift offroad Base.

Old 04-18-2023, 10:14 AM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Does it have full support along the "tips" of the jack feet? I think you've created a bit a of a "hinge" condition? Maybe Im not seeing it correctly though.

Quick Reply: Best offroad Jack that fits under load space?